No announcement yet.

Career

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just about to start a HND at Pershore as a 'mature' student!

I'd love to talk to someone who is starting the course this year Nervous but excited!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Titch went to Hertfordshire horti college [/url]
      Oaklands College in St Albans (where Alan Titchmarsh studied) barely does any horticultural courses anymore. It seems to have reduced the range of courses over the last 5 years but not sure of the reasons why. Would have been very convenient to have studied for my RHS level 2 just down the road but I had to go to Capel Manor in Enfield instead.

Pershore has a very good reputation - I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time studying there Ouya Mellsa.
      Last edited by perkin; 03-08-2011, 09:29 PM. Reason: bloomin' typos
      come visit a garden
      or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

The two 'round ere' are Houghhall and Kirkly Hall. Houghhall used to be more horticultural and Kirkly more agricultural.

If its money you're after, forget it.

The outdoor life and job satisfaction can adequately compensate though!
        Last edited by Snadger; 04-08-2011, 05:56 AM.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If you are looking to the future I would suggest you take your strongest subjects into VI form. AS and A2 do need a lot more in depth work than your GCSEs.
          As for careers - well the world of work is changing so rapidly these days that most young people are looking at a range of jobs, not one they choose after uni and stay in for life. So I guess the best advice for you is to play to your strengths and stay flexible.
          As for horticulture - any subjects that deal with science (Biology being the most obvious) - art / design - and possibly one of the humanities should give you a good foundation. Best to check your degree course options and check what their entry requirements are.
          As for future income - well who knows what the next few decades hold in that respect. I don't think the old rules apply so much these days!
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Did you check the date of the first thread, anyone? It was nearly 3 years ago!!!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

LOL, sorry for the 'bump'.

I'm doing the HND with the intent of getting a 'supervisory/management' role in hort. I really don't think I can realistically be a 'craft'/hands-on gardener all my life. I just don't have the fitness. So, the next best thing is to be in the industry- i.e. nurseryman, retail, breeding, etc.

The students at Pershore won medals at Chelsea and Malvern this year- what a thing to have on your CV!

Plus, I'm going to do some volunteering (if I can find the time).

Only thing is....I'm 30 and worried about being the oldest student in the class!

Comment

You'll probably be the youngest student, not the oldest.

Never worry about being the oldest student in a class; if anything you have life skills that the youngsters don't. Honestly - it's a bonus not a problem.

Comment

Thanks, Zazen!

Comment

OM - I'm considering studying too - and I'm 48!
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Well so what, I'm 51 and started working in the field (growing side) of a nursery this April. Yes it's b****y hard work and I ached so much for the first month that I felt like quitting.
                      But I didn't and now I am simply loving it. Even the boring bits like spending three hours sticking pots on a potting machine And the muscles have toughened up and as a bonus I'm much fitter too.
                      The only thing is that if you intend to work outside you need to be sure that you can cope with very hot and very cold weather. And not mind getting wet a s**t up on a regular basis.
                      But believe me there's not much can beat driving a buggy past line after line of plants, in flower and out, on a nice day.
                      Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                        Sadly not!

But then I'm a bit biased, having recently been made redundant

If you want the longer version PM me - but only if you're really bored!

Well-paid job = stress.
                        Enjoyable job = low pay.
                        Fact. (Well, in my experience anyway! X)
                        SNAP and the corporate gravy train rolls on with indifference, spitting out it's victims as it goes down the tracks of life!

Don't mind me I have had half a bottle of wine - just warming up for the other half!
                        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                          Did you check the date of the first thread, anyone? It was nearly 3 years ago!!!
                          Oops probably not the best career's advice they have ever had then.

Hee hee !
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I used to work in a dusty engineering factory on good pay. Fot the last 25 years I've worked outdoors in all weathers for less pay(your skins waterproof they tell me......... this week I took my shirt off in the rain so it didn't get wet........put it back on again after the shower in case I frightened the kids!)

Job satisfaction is not about money. I am fitter,healthier,and living a life that our bodies were designed for.

Skint all the time.............but I get by!

PS And NOOOO......that wasn't me in the crowd at St James's afore ye ask!!!!!
                            Last edited by Snadger; 06-08-2011, 06:59 AM.
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

When I tell people I want a career in hort, 99% of them say 'good, but hard work in the rain/heat and lots of digging'.

But, hort has so many careers other than actual gardening- nurserywork, breeding, scientific research, retail, teaching, conservation, environmental issues, heritage stuff, etc.

Can I ask- how much actual gardening would a head gardener do on your average estate (e.g. a National Trust or English Heritage one)?

Comment

Originally posted by Ouya Mellsa View Post
                                When I tell people I want a career in hort, 99% of them say 'good, but hard work in the rain/heat and lots of digging'.

But, hort has so many careers other than actual gardening- nurserywork, breeding, scientific research, retail, teaching, conservation, environmental issues, heritage stuff, etc.

Can I ask- how much actual gardening would a head gardener do on your average estate (e.g. a National Trust or English Heritage one)?
                                Depends on how many staff he has?

More than 10 staff and he would probably only do any 'real gardening' if he so wished. Less than 10 staff and I would imagine he would be 'hands on' devoting maybe 50% of his time to getting his hands mucky.

When you get down to two or three staff in total he/she would probably be fully hands on.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X