No announcement yet.

Mr Oliver is at it again!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've noticed the younger males in our family (20's and 30's) taking a very real interest in cooking over the last couple of years, getting very hands on in the kitchen and tackling really interesting recipes - they all started with Jamie (and one even started growing his own this year!). I think Jamie's style has made it ok for them to be interested in cooking. So for that and also the fact that I like his recipes, he's got my vote.
    When I start to seethe at a programme - I usually go and cook something instead!
    Unfortunately in my work I hear of far too many families living on takeaways, never buying any fresh food, let alone growing it - anything which makes even one person think again about how they feed their family has to be good.
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

I agree, Jamie has made cooking 'cool' and I think there will be more of the younger generation coming through more able to cook because of him. It is very unfortunate for the kids on this program because they will in turn teach their kids to just eat junk
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Sorry to Bring up an old thread - but it made me sad!

Hi all, I am from Rotherham!!!! I came across this thread whilst searching the word in the forum for local peeps. I know it is an old, and much used thread, and i do not wish to start a new WW3 but I feel - AS THE ONLY ROTHERHAM PERSON TO POST ON THE THREAD - I must comment.
        Firstly the programme gave a lovely locallity terrible coverage. Rotherham is a lovely town, and the people here are the friendliest i have ever met. The town does have MANY allotment sites, and there are waiting lists for all!
        One of the villages in my area has been a finalist in Britain in Bloom for many years.
        OK so now lets get personal.

I smoke, I drink (wine at home, dont go out),I have a tattoo, I buy scratchcards, I am approx 1 stone over weight. I have 3 children - 1 step, 1 by my first marriage, 1 to my now (and final) husband). I eat takeaways. I watch Jeremy Kyle occasionally, I shop at Lidl occasionally, I have a freezer containing chicken nuggets for the kids!

BUT ALSO

I grow my own veg, I do not cook convenience foods (apart from the occasional nugget), my children have never tasted tinned soup only homemade, I have 9 GCSE's, I know how to make home made salsa lol, my freezer is FULL of homemade meals portioned for reheating on EASY TEA nights, I do not watch TV in the evening I prefer to READ, I breastfed my 2 children for the full 6 months, I had my first child MARRIED at 29, I am not a chav!

I AM ALSO A MEMBER OF A GROUP ON FACEBOOK CALLED :
        'EYUP JAMIE I'M FROM ROTHERHAM AND CAN COOK'
        Of which there are several thousand members.

I KNOW noone on here was being personal, please be aware i realise this, but the programme, thread, and media coverage really upset me, and many of the Rotherham public - In fact the local joke round here was that Jamie stood outside the benefits office for a day and picked the worst people going in!
        Sorry I just needed to make my point - not just for Rotherham - but for all tattooed,smoking,drinkers who buy scratchcards but still consider themselves a respectable member of society!

Chelle xx (RANT OVER LOL)
        'REMEMBER, AS FAR AS ANYONE KNOWS WE ARE A NORMAL FAMILY!'

Comment

What sort of tattoo and where?

May as well ask before Mikey does.

Comment

OK..so .....I've not recently read the previous posts

..BUT...My thoughts are that if anyone makes peeps aware of the quality of the food they...and their children eat....AND makes a difference to what is bought ..or not...AND animal welfare.....

THEN..they have done more for the planet/animal welfare AND human awareness than I have ever done!

...who cares about their background..or what they speak like..or where they come from????

Look at yourselves folks before you comment on others

PLEASE.......

....inch by inch..centimeter by centimeter.....
            Last edited by Nicos; 17-04-2009, 05:52 PM.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              What sort of tattoo and where?

May as well ask before Mikey does.
              LOL, for some reason i get asked that alot - its a rose - a purple one. (I used to be a bit Prince fan in my younger days) - and its somewhere only my husband gets to see lol! Or the neighbours in summer lol!
              Chelle xx
              'REMEMBER, AS FAR AS ANYONE KNOWS WE ARE A NORMAL FAMILY!'

Comment

Not much point in Jamie selecting naice middle class people who already cook and grow their own is there?

The programme was supposed to be about re-educating people who eat junk.
                If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by squashysu View Post
                  i f@@@ing love jamie - so there, he inspired me to garden, i know he doesnt do it and has a gardener, but without his programme i would be eating chicken twizzels instead of making my own home made burgers with lean mince........
                  yaaaay Jamie another scooped up

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  so long as you grow your own, that's ok!
                  is it?

Originally posted by maximepaul View Post
                  Julie critchlow is a witch!! she's just so down on the project all the time why is she there?? (fame anyone!!)
                  yep she is!

From Piskie only - all the above does not reflect on chellybobs
                  aka
                  Suzie

Comment

Omg this thread has been resurrected (sp) I'll get told off for starting it. Reading through it though, yes Jamie had to to make a start and I understand what he is trying to do and don't knock him for it. He could have chosen any city or town in the UK, he chose Rotherham. It was just his attitude I didn't like, can't take to the bloke.

Comment

• Originally posted by chellybobs View Post
                      I AM ALSO A MEMBER OF A GROUP ON FACEBOOK CALLED :
                      'EYUP JAMIE I'M FROM ROTHERHAM AND CAN COOK'
                      Of which there are several thousand members.
                      I watched the programme and felt it was a bit unbalanced in the sense that it seemed to feature only people who didn't/couldn't cook and I felt Jamie's attitude towards them was a bit patronising.

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
                      Not much point in Jamie selecting naice middle class people who already cook and grow their own is there?

The programme was supposed to be about re-educating people who eat junk.
                      Yes it was, but a mixture of people at different 'levels' of cooking would have been more balanced and could have been used to give hints and tips on cooking and budgeting from ordinary people - while of course including those who had not cooked before and helping them to get started.

That's my thruppence worth.
                      Last edited by maytreefrannie; 18-04-2009, 10:44 PM.
                      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X