No announcement yet.

Charlie update

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life seems properly crappy sometimes doesn't it - but then you reflect on all the good bits and it doesn't seem so bad in the grand scheme of things.

Not long after LW and I first moved in together we got two cats - we had them for about two years. LWs (Rowntree) was found dead in an alleyway one evening, and mine (Bentley) got quite sick about 3 months later and developed fluid on the lungs. He was clearly distressed and rather unwell. The vet said that he could operate but it would be unlikely that he'd pull round because the illness had taken such a hold. I was racked with guilt for not spotting it and doing something sooner. We had him put to sleep and (lump in throat even typing this) I fell apart in the vets.

On reflection afterwards he had a great life with us, made a friend in the boy who lived next door (parents of whom we are good friends with still and God-parents to their daughter).

I guess what I'm trying to say (I don't do serious very well as you know), is that what may seem like a horrible decision now will probably turn out to be good in the end.

My ear's here if you need it - but you'll be fine I know.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Big hugs, Piskie. Can't offer more advice than what's already been given, but I know you'll make the right decision for you and Charlie. ((()))

Comment

Big hugs Piskie, it's awful I so feel for you

We went through it last year. Wizz was 18 and we went away for the weekend, person looking after them said she'd been missing since the Saturday we got back on Monday, I couldn't find her assuming she'd probably had a heart attack somewhere. But on the Tuesday found her still alive in DDs old wendy house. She'd been hit by a car or something, she had pneumo-thorax and shattered leg. There was no point in keeping her going as if she got stronger she would never heal anyway - vets had always had to handle her in the past with gauntlets, she was a true stable cat - she probably wouldn't have survived the operation at that age. Vet said I'd made the right decision but I was a right state, she's in the orchard next to Bo OHs old horse (tear falling).

You know what will be best all round and whatever you decide it will be right. {{{{{big hugs}}}}
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Sorry to hear that Piskie, it's up to you whether you think he can take the injections but as you say if there are more things wrong with him it might be kinder to let him go. Our neighbours had a dog with diabetes & they used to inject him everday without much trouble but he was a big soppy labrador & they hated doing it, it may be more difficult & painful for a little cat.
          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
            ....(I don't do serious very well as you know)....
            Do we have the same parents!

I'm sorry to bring back horrid memories for some of you and sorry for bringing tears but again thank you for your support. I have just got back from college and Charlie came running (kinda) down the stairs to greet me as he always do and I thought .......tears time .... but yes, we'll see over the next week I guess
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

well now - the good news is that there is nothing else wrong with Charlie, liver, kidneys etc are all good - so the question was put to me again, can I commit to injecting him daily - I have said I will try, but if he hates it it must stop and we end it there.

He is in hospital today having his first shots of insulin to see how he reacts, then tomorrow it's me, him and needles

It isn't cheap, the first month will involve 4 hospital stop-overs to keep checking, insulin, needles, even a bin to store used needles (!) = approx £300.

Then he should level out, there is even a hope (from the vet) that he may return to normal in a couple of months, but this isn't a given obviously.

Oh and he has to eat kitten food - and this morning I had bought his usual stash of Senior Whiskers
              Last edited by piskieinboots; 03-10-2008, 11:58 AM.
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

can you get any help with the fees off the pdsa or rspca?? ..... i think you can get sharps bins free from chemists, or they are cheap on ebay, and you can buy needles and stuff cheaper than through the vets, just a thought for the long term.

i think you are making a good decision, thankfully everything else is ok, and if he doesn't mind the injections, then fingers crossed the neurological problems might subside too

big hugs stay strong you can do it

it's easy after the first couple of times.

Lynda x x x

Comment

cheers Lynda - we'll see how we go and give the lad the best chance we can.

Snowdrop has told him we are going to use him for darts pratice - which is odd because when he was young a pal said he looked like a dart board...see for yourself.....

aka
                  Suzie

Comment

He's identical to my Alf, he's 17 drives me bonkers with his howling and cost me a fortune in vets bills this year. So glad that things are looking up for Charlie
                    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

awwwwwww he's lovely you'll have to change his name to dart board now

Comment

He is beautiful Piskie....
                        He looks happy and content!
                        Give his chin a rub from me please
                        HF

Comment

Oh Piskie hon, sorry I've come late to this thread and so didn't give you support earlier. It seems that things may not be so bad after all, which is great news - the next few days and weeks will tell wont they.

He looks gorgeous, just like my old next door neighbours cat who was called Charlie and looked identical would you believe! Give him a big rub from me, and a big hug for you as well (((((((((((hug)))))))))))) - good luck with the needles.

I know you'll do the right thing by him in the end, he's lucky to have such a thoughful and caring person to look after him. And we may be only 'virtual', but you have us here rooting for you both.
                          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Aww, bless him, he doesn't look like a dartboard, he's got a 'heart' shape on his side in that photo!
                            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Good news... hope it goes well with the needles.

My cats send him a cuddle too (they are curled up on the sofa as we speak)
                              Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

SNAP!!! Charlie meet Boris...hope youre feeling better soon
                                Attached Files
                                The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X