No announcement yet.

My first sewing machine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I inherited Madmax's grandmother's Singer hand sewing machine when we got married. I treated myself to an electric one a few years ago and althought it is not used often, it has been worth the 50 quid it cost. I now also have an antique Singer industrial machine which I hope to get overhauled soon so that I can start doing car upholstery (honestly).

I don't think experience is as essential as a steady hand and inventive mind. Enjoy your machine Headfry.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I bought my first one when I did my first holiday job - aged 16. I paid the deposit (a weeks wages!) and my parents paid the 6 installments for me. I used it for all my clothes, University ball gowns, wedding and bridesmaids' dresses, going-away outfit, clothes for the children, curtains, etc. It finally gace up the ghost and I had no machine for ages. I borrowed one to make bridesmaids' dresses for my neice. Then I got into quilting - started with all hand-sewn quilts. Eventually it seemed mad not to make the huge long seams in the backing fabric on a machine. I bought a little Janome Jem which I still have. This one made my daughter's wedding dress and some outfits for my granddaughter. When I retired I bought myself a large throated Janome made specially for quilting.

I use free motion quilting - like Two Sheds' free embroidery - to write on quilts sometimes. My T'ai Chi floor excerise mat has T'ai Chi embroidered all over it. I love my machines. I'm hoping my granddaughter will fancy a go on the little one - not yet though - she's not 4 till next week!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'd definately get it serviced professionally, costs about £30 but well worth it. The tension will be spot on, everything that needs lubricating will be cleaned and re-done etc. You'll think you've got a new machine when you get it back
        I took mine to Bedford Sewing and Knitting, very friendly helpful people there. (I know it's a long way from Stafford, long story )
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I must get out my manual and see about the tension in mine too - my mam had a singer that she bought in the States just after they got married (got a massive transformer to use it over here ever since) and that lasted until very recently. Again - loads of curtains, bedding, clothes for all, costumes, cushion covers, quilts - all sorts. She got a new singer a couple of years ago, which does the basiscs but she kept the old one still as it does still work a bit and has lots of lovely automatic decorative bobbins (stick on a wheel and it sews little ducks or whatever).

Shortly after I got married, having borrowed MIL's machine for a couple of months (my mum wouldn't let me have hers as it was too busy - and I was only allowed MIL's on a very short term loan), I bought my own (a brother). I've done curtains for our old house, and cushion covers too. I made the curtains for 2 rooms in our new house (the nice ones), including the main sitting room bay window (floor length and interlined - now THAT was a challenge). And more cushion covers.

I've tried my hand at some clothes, but can't sew neatly enough or precisely enough for those yet (I can sew curtains badly and no one will see the bad bits or wonky tension - they still stay up). I am hoping to make a good few Christmas pressies this year (I have plans for lavendar pouches, a lavendar pillow, a felt heart decoration and a stocking), and I have a few more cushions to make as the old ones are a bit tatty (starting to lose zips) and no longer match the walls. And I want to make some nice curtains for the toddler's room (she has some cheapie ones that are very adult and ordinary - I'd like to get some nice nautical or seaside ones but think I'll need to make them to get what I want). Use up some old fabric to make a roman blind for the downstairs loo. And then attack my main stash in the attic and finish a few other projects on hands for a long time.

I am hoping that I can take out the machine for a whole week at the October bank holiday weekend, as I have no classes that week and the extra day off means I should get time to do something a few evenings (OH won't mind it on the dining table - my only possibility - for a week once there are signs of progress and it's limited to the week).

Comment

I've got two antique Singers, but I've no idea how to set them up

Would love to set them up and use them, especially the one with the huge cast iron foot pedal (which has the original leather thong!).

Comment

Flummery, I stand in awe!! I can do legs of jeans, curtains (simple ones!) pillow cases etc. but people who make wedding dresses and can cut out frocks and blouses have my heartfelt admiration!
              I once made a dress for my elder daughter when she was four (she is now thirty one!) and she cried when I MADE her wear it. She needn't have worried, it fell apart in the wash!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
                I've got two antique Singers ....which has the original leather thong!
                I think HeyWayne has a leather thong ?
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X