No announcement yet.

A grand or small gesture / act of kindness

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a huge fan of random acts of kindness. If anything, I hold back a little in case people fear I'm the local nutter

I suppose I've given away a fair bit in terms of value and/or time over the years but the things I really remember are what other people have done for me. The lady in a wheelchair who manouvered herself so I could get my double buggy into the bizarre double doors giving access to a council building... the numerous old folk at my lottie who treat me like a princess ...the stranger who travelled miles out of his way on the London Underground to ensure that both I *and* my ridiculously heavy luggage got on the right train home...
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

Just a few days ago, I drove into a car park where I was meeting my sister for lunch.

I hadn't realised the car park took ONLY 2-euro coins, so my 1-euro coins just dropped in the slot and disappeared and of course the barrier wouldn't budge.

A man walking by came over and put two 2-euro coins in the slot - he refused my offer of giving him a fiver, he said he was glad to help and as he walked away the barrier went up and I and the line of drivers behind me were very relieved.

It was really nice to meet someone so generous and just at the right time!

Definitely I'm a fan of random acts of kindness.
      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I was bemoaning my lack of tomatoes one day at the lottie. The next day I found a huge bag of assorted tomatoes in my shed, kindly put there by the man on the next-but-one plot. I used all my green tomatoes to make some chutney and took a jar for him and another for the chap who's got the plot behind me. They were both gob-smacked. It did give me a nice fluffy feeling to give something away that gave someone else so much pleasure. I think though that might be the way to go, give things to others without expecting anything else in return - even if it's just a smile and a "good morning"
        Last edited by MaureenHall; 18-09-2008, 06:45 AM. Reason: missed out a word!!
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
          I am a huge fan of random acts of kindness. If anything, I hold back a little in case people fear I'm the local nutter
          Is this a problem? 'Cos I think I am, here!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I like to think that the majority are kind & would step up to show some random act of kindness!Yep there's several miserable bu@@ars out there,but I tend to think they're in the minority.
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Cor, what a luverly lot you are! I like it here.
              Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Just remembered a nice thing I did last week (have to ration it!). OH and I decorated my old landlady's house (outside!) for her 50th birthday, finishing at 12am - yes I do mean midnight! We left balloons (inflatable AND helium!), streamers, banners and a frikkin HUGE 50mph sign with her name on it. I took a basket of pressies round later and she was visibly overwhelmed. I'd been stressing the night before as to whether she would like them. Turns out she wasn't expecting pressies after the house-decorating. A couple of days ago I got home to find a lovely thank you note from her, posted through my door, in a posh card. Awwwww.

Not many people tell me or OH their birthdays these days. They've seen what happens on the 'biggies.'
                Last edited by SlugLobber; 18-09-2008, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Nobody has been escaping our house without courgettes.

Our village is very strung out so meeting a neighbour is a half hour session.

I have my charity pouch at the front of my bag, I fill it regularly with all loose change tipped out from OHs pockets and empty it out when there are collections for charity at Tesco, it can get a little weighty when there's been no collectors for a while.

Being tall hardly a week goes by when I'm not asked to get something from a top shelf for someone and have been known to search an ailse for an elderly person not able to find something.
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Novice Gardeners kind offer to do some digging on my new plot was a lovely surprise that made my day.
                    Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      Ailsasyl

From my experience of correspondence with Happy Bunny; you should be proud. Alot of kids her age won't even crack a smile, let alone be as lovely as she is.

Aw shucks dudes and dudettes...

I just have to mention mum, she is really nice and quite cool really!!! (really it's true)

thanks for the lovley comments, lainey lou, zazen...

really
                      thanks

Remember keep smilin'
                      Stacey x ♫

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
                        Aw, Dipzy, you made me go all warm inside and I'm not even drinking tea! I made a cake this week, too - apple cake
                        So post the recipe please.

Comment

I'm just about to do a small gesture of kindness....my OH has been painting for 12 hrs today ...and I'm about to open a bottle of wine for him.

( perhaps I should join him in a little tipple....for his liver's sake????)
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Quite often when I do my main shop I ask peeps waiting for a taxi if I can give them a lift. Same as when we get snow, I'm the only one on our close with a 4x4 so I usually go round and get shopping lists from my neighbours or take them to the shop with me. I've also stopped before to offer a lift to someone thats run out of petrol - passed their car a few miles down the road,then saw them carrying a petrol can. One young lad was so grateful he bought me a twix as a thank you. I didn't like to say I'm not a choccy fan

Comment

Originally posted by sallym View Post
                              Novice Gardeners kind offer to do some digging on my new plot was a lovely surprise that made my day.

Awwwww, you made me blush now, but my offer stands If you need a hand PM me and I'll be happy to help

Comment

The young mum in front of me didn't have enough change for the money guzzling car park machine. This thread jumped into my mind and I offered her the pound coin she was short, she'd already unloaded the buggy and baby. She was so grateful and surprised and I felt really good until I realised I hadn't left myself enough change - had to beg some more change at the office then go back and feed the blessed machine again!! Ah well, nice warm feeling for at least 30 seconds! But I think I was paid back, I left my car unlocked (for goodness sake don't tell OH) and it was still there at the end of the afternoon!
                                Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                                So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X