No announcement yet.

Moving and decluttering

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Grandma's got a plaque on her wall~"Happiness is wanting what you have,not having what you want"~trouble is I want(nearly)everything I've got!
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
      My Grandma's got a plaque on her wall~"Happiness is wanting what you have,not having what you want"~trouble is I want(nearly)everything I've got!
      This thing about your mind only seeing the first and last letter of the word and forming the words from that is true, as I just read your Grandma's got the plague!!
      Last edited by Mikey; 21-07-2008, 03:33 PM.
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

You could always look into putting stuff in storage. We moved from a four bedroomed house to a caravan last year - alot of stuff was ditched (charity shops, dump, friends and I gave some furniture to a second hand shop as they would collect) but we still had to cram what we had left into an 8x8x20' container. The cost of storage should help you decide what you NEED to keep!!
        Tx

Comment

I'm a terrible hoarder! Last year when we were thinking we might need to move & were having work done on the house we decided to de-clutter a bit. Clothes wise I emptied out my wardrobes/cupboards & tried everything on in front of O.H. asking if he thought I looked stupid/too old/out of date etc. in it & anything wearable was put in charity bags, anything not was put in bags to take to the textile recycling centre at the tip. Same for other things, if we didn't have room for it we took it to the nearest charity shop or recycled it. The trouble is we didn't move & I've sort of replaced lots of the things & we're having to sort out stuff again as I'm doing some redecorating!
          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
            This thing about you mind only seeing the first and last letter of the word and forming the words from that is true, as I just read your Grandma's got the plague!!
            She caught the C.Diff bug earlier in the year~but she's fine now!!

Comment

Sorry, I am the world's worst hoarder (and I've grown even worse since having the lottie, now EVERYTHING might come in handy one day!) so I'm the last one to offer advice. My brother reckons that everyone should move home every five years, just because it forces you to declutter. At least you're doing that part right. Good luck with the move.....and I'm sure I can find space for some of your stuff up on the plot.......
              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Worst thing I ever did was accept one of those beds that haven't got an underneath of my parents!!(are they divans?)Where am I supposed to put my tidying?!
                you make a fake drawer for the side of it and shove everything in boxes inside, or if that's too much effort, you cut a hole in the fabric, then put one of those frilly trim things over the top ....... not that i've ever done that

Comment

thanks folks, well at least I know I am not alone! seems quite a few of us not so good on the whole getting rid of stuff front. I have concluded that you (well your stuff) expands to fit the space you are in. When i met OH I was living in a room in a shared house with some stuff kept up in storage in Scotland. I then moved to a very small 2 bed terrace and got my stuff down from Scotland. Then I moved in here with him into a very very spacious 3 bed house with huge kitchen etc...it was almost empty when I came here 5 years ago but now it is bursting at the seems!

I just need to be brave about it and get on with it. Piskie, I have heard that rule about if you haven't worn it in 12 months etc...but I have some clothes I am really attached to...and like Di I go in and out a bit so have clothes for when I am bigger and when I am smaller. I'm sort of dreading the next few weeks but I am really looking forward to that feeling of not having so much stuff so I guess it is the right time. Oh and we can store things at our old place for the time being.

So, do I need to keep the hideous goldfish salt and pepper set my MIL gave me??? in the spirit of decluttering I am blaming you lot (well thanking really) for giving me the courage to get rid :-)

Comment

Originally posted by willowstar View Post
                    So, do I need to keep the hideous goldfish salt and pepper set my MIL gave me??? in the spirit of decluttering I am blaming you lot (well thanking really) for giving me the courage to get rid :-)
                    My Mum collects salt and pepper sets so you're not alone.
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by willowstar View Post
                      thanks folks,

Could you not put a little shelf up in the bathroom/toilet?You could even start a collection of curious S&P shakers!!

Comment

She caught the C.Diff bug earlier in the year~but she's fine now!!
                        Thats what you get for fiddling with cars, I guess.
                        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                          Thats what you get for fiddling with cars, I guess.
                          (very!)

Comment

Could you not put a little shelf up in the bathroom/toilet?You could even start a collection of curious S&P shakers!!
                            You've been to my Mum's house!

Although the shelf is in the kitchen for H&S reasons.
                            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                              You've been to my Mum's house!

Although the shelf is in the kitchen for H&S reasons.
                              My kitchen's too full of useful clutter to accomodate curious shakers~come to think of it so's the bathroom!!~PISKIE!When you're done with Lynda....?

Comment

send me her address and she can have em...they came all the way from Australia and much though I love a bit of tat (hence my clutter problem) I only like it when I purchase the tat myself and have a whole story attached to it.

Stealing myself to get rid of the wooden Mayan sculpture I bought ealier in the year when I went to Mexico. It really is ugly...but hand carved...so how could I be so cruel!!! see, this is why I can never get rid of anything!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X