No announcement yet.

How much is just right?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard allotment size is 10 rods - which is 300 sq yard or 250 sq meters.

I think the idea is that they are 10 x 30 - i.e. 3 sections of 10 x 10 allowing a 3 year rotation, and that is intended to be enough for a family. Give or take ...

... there's probably some Victorian Mrs Beaton book about it out there somewhere!
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
      an acre is about 20 plots.
      Blimey, then realistically we're in tractor territory here I suppose?

Comment

"e had a small little stream which he diverted by by running it around a (not that large) wheel, got electricity from it"

Well when you are ready to convert the dream to reality this may be useful Hydro Turbines
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Winged one View Post
          Um ...paperwork??? What kind of paperwork?
          If in the UK you want to keep pigs, cattle, goats or sheep...loads of DEFRA paperwork. Tagging, vaccinations, foot and mouth precautions, not feeding pigs swill etc.....
          loads of paperwork. Registering chicken flocks with Deaf-ra etc...

Plus the hassle of neighbours, land covenants and by-laws concerning animals and stuff.
          http://www.freewebs.com/notesfromtheplot/ **updated**

Comment

enough room for 4 elephants, and some horses, and a couple of cows, and some piggies, and chickens and ducks, and cats and dogs, and veggies, and and .......oh ok i need a couple of hundred acres, should do me

Comment

I'm currently coverting a 78 acre disused aerodrome near Chelmsford....loads of outbuildings too....£625K....

Realistically at least 5 acres. My mum has that and it's just about enough to do what she (I!) wants

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                Blimey, then realistically we're in tractor territory here I suppose?
                I have 5 acres and trust me - you are into tractor territory - if only for the initial cultivation and muck spreading.
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                  Also, Mr OWG seems obsessed with having some Quail not sure why though....
                  Their eggs are to die for !!
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm with Heywayne on size recognition - apparently my allotment is approx the size of a tennis court (didn't know tennis courts were that big).

I reckon 6 football pitches would do for me - OH says that is about 8 acres - presuming a football pitch is 3/4 acre

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild View Post
                      If in the UK you want to keep pigs, cattle, goats or sheep...loads of DEFRA paperwork. Tagging, vaccinations, foot and mouth precautions, not feeding pigs swill etc.....
                      loads of paperwork. Registering chicken flocks with Deaf-ra etc...

Plus the hassle of neighbours, land covenants and by-laws concerning animals and stuff.
                      Gulp - thank Goodness I am in Ireland, it can't be HALF as bad as that!!

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                        Cheers dude, but you know how it is. I know how long "a metre" is because I've seen it, I know how big "a bus" is because I've seen it. I've never seen "an acre" though. Or "a hectare" for that matter.
                        I'm not great with field sizes either blue, which is why I relate everything back to what I can manage, as in how big is my current plot. What size feet are you heywayne, I'm a size 10 and know that with my shoes on my foot is a foot!, so its dead easy for me to measure out my plot, I look a bit daft balancing on my imaginery beam!!

Originally posted by vicky View Post
                        I'm currently coverting a 78 acre disused aerodrome near Chelmsford....loads of outbuildings too....£625K....

Realistically at least 5 acres. My mum has that and it's just about enough to do what she (I!) wants
                        Phewee, first time I read this I thought you said you were currently converting a 78 acre aerodrome!!!
                        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                          I'm not great with field sizes either blue, which is why I relate everything back to what I can manage, as in how big is my current plot. What size feet are you heywayne, I'm a size 10 and know that with my shoes on my foot is a foot!, so its dead easy for me to measure out my plot, I look a bit daft balancing on my imaginery beam!!

Phewee, first time I read this I thought you said you were currently converting a 78 acre aerodrome!!!
                          With you on the foot thing - mange tout, mine are about a foot long anyway so it's a pretty accurate way of measuring. I bought a surveyors tape (open reel) measure to measure my plot and work out how much fencing I'd need.

Back to the original question though - what I have at the moment is enough for now.
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                            With you on the foot thing - mange tout, mine are about a foot long anyway so it's a pretty accurate way of measuring. I bought a surveyors tape (open reel) measure to measure my plot and work out how much fencing I'd need.

Back to the original question though - what I have at the moment is enough for now.
                            I think the question is an indicator to our state of mind, do we have enough in life?

I am happy with what I have but would like more, I think you've reached a higher plain blue....ohm..., as you are content with the here and now.

Comment

How's about the greenhouse on Jimmy's farming heroes?!
                              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                                How's about the greenhouse on Jimmy's farming heroes?!
                                Haven't seen those, but my neighbour and I are in cahoots over some very large greenhouses which are due to be demolished by the council before long. We're talking 40metres x 6metres, with a view to putting it at the top of our two gardens. I think the planning department might have something to say, but we're hoping we'll be ok. Imagine the amount of soft fruit we can grow in there, I'm planning on making one of those hot beds if we get the go ahead, and maybe a heat sink ala dick strawbridge.

Our Oh's thinks we are both barking mad and shouldn't be left alone together!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X