No announcement yet.

Do you cook 'em or chuck 'em?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ears ago a friends mum served up mushrooms with whatever they had for dinner that night and my friend ended up seriously ill in hospital and nearly died her mum never bought mushrooms again.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

Comment

What would Gordon have to say about all this waste!!?(or did he drown?)
      straight from bag to pot for me,no washing,rubbing peeling chopping malarchy!if a bit big then break them up~can't be with making extra washing up~unless i'm hiding them in sauce for the kids then the mini chopper comes in handy.
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I'm with slug lobber, never knowingly throw anything vaguely edible away!!

Comment

cook them, yum yum love mushrooms !!

Comment

As someone who used to deliver mushrooms to Glasgow and Edinburgh fruit markets as well as other shops in the central belt of Scotland I found the best way for button mushrooms was to wipe and eat . Straight from the 3lb box and no cooking of any sort.
            It was Quality Control - honest
            There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

I hate mushrooms, so I never cook with them. Also they always seem slimy to me and I don`t think they have any taste.
              I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

I eat mine raw (after they are washed!!!)

Comment

Love mushrooms. Always rinse, then chuck the stalk away. I have always hated the stalk. It always seemed kinda cardboardy. It doesn't have that yummy shroomy flavour.

Comment

Originally posted by beefy View Post
                    Straight from the 3lb box and no cooking of any sort

The second* reason to heat mushrooms is to kill potential pathogenic bacteria. Mushrooms are commonly cultivated on horse manure. The manure is generally sterilised before use, but it is still a very rich medium for bacterial growth. There is thus a considerable risk for pathogenic bacteria to be present on raw mushrooms. Cooking (or frying) destroys the bacteria (including the potential pathogens) on the surface of the mushrooms.

* the first reason is that they may be carcinogenic. Food-Info.net : Are raw mushrooms toxic ?
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I eat the lot. Wipe, cook, eat. Fancy throwing a part of it away? I also eat them raw in a salad. Wonderful nutty flavour. And I ain't dead yet!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Quite so Flum, if we ignored all the health warnings knocking about then we'd die of starvation!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

bacteria boosts your immune system ....... i'd rather have a gobful of that than some of the crap they put in ready made food

Comment

Well done flum, and Lynda

My views too!

Comment

I knock off any huge clumps of soil, and slice and cook. My mum eats them raw too...

But throwing away the stalk??? Wasteful Wendys, you.
                              I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

pull em - peel the mushie and eat the stalks raw while drinking sherry
                                We bought the lad from Sunny Spain, He gets the ball, he scores again, Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number nine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X