Energy prices.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Maybe not deliberately but certainly by carelessness / lack of planning.
    That's how we end up wasting food in our house. Plans change at the last minute etc. I try and freeze as much as I can in terms of meat/fish/casseroles etc.

At least in our house waste food tends to go to the compost heap or the dogs!

Comment

I thought this was a different topic, my fuel bills have sky rocketted. At the beginning of last year it cost us £280 for a 1000l of heating oil for the house. I priced it last friday because it is normally cheaper in the summer, and it is now £680 for 1000l. This is ridiculous 240% rise in 12 months, where do these companies get off.

I'm thinking now would be a good time to start drying cow poop for the fire, if only it would stop raining.
      Last edited by Mikey; 08-07-2008, 01:16 PM.
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I have seen a few threads on GardenWeb, another gardening forum, where people compared electricity rates. In Tennessee we have the cheapest electric because of the damn coal. It only costs .08/kWH. that's like .04 pounds. In New York it's almost twice as expensive! I've been trying to cut back, but it's hard to make worthwhile improvements when one is a renter.

American love to bitch about gas costs and right now we only pay $4/gallon. that's 2 pounds for a gallon, not a liter. SUVs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate seeing those bloody things swarming out of the developments, filled with one lone person, who is rabidly yakking on the cell phone as they cut off cars left and right. The new SUV advertisements boast 20 mpg!!!! 8.5 KM/L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our Volvo wagon from 1989 gets better mileage than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

End Rant.
        The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it. -John Ruskin

http://wormsflowers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lzyjo View Post
          American love to bitch about gas costs and right now we only pay $4/gallon. that's 2 pounds for a gallon, not a liter. End Rant.
          Ah those were the days, now its around £6.
          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I can remember the days......[here we go!!] when nothing got wasted.
            Every part of an animal was used if not directly then either in stocks or soups.
            If we had a Sunday roast anything leftover would be used either the next day or later in the week,many a time I had cold meat and boiled taters or stew or bubble.
            I think nowadays because of scares with salmonella ect people would rather just throw food away.
            The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by sharonr View Post
              It now cost`s an extra £10 to fill my 206. But at least the tax is only £35 a year. But then again my OH has to pay £190 tax for a year on his 306 estate.
              £35 a year?! How come? My 206 is £120 - I have just renewed it
              pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

In response to what someone posted earlier about how much stuff has gone up in the supermarkets - I buy bleach on a BIG scale - I own a contract cleaning company - and the bleach I found to be the best was Asda own brand toilet bleach - 65p a bottle, or two for £1, now its 3 for £2. My truck used to cost me £54 to fill up with with diesel from empty - it now costs me at least £76. It's crippling me. I don't know how much longer I can continue trading, especially since one of our biggest customers is the well known housebuilder that recently announced 900 job cuts, and is holding every subcontractor to ransom with regards to paying invoices.

Comment

Originally posted by pjh75 View Post
                  £35 a year?! How come? My 206 is £120 - I have just renewed it
                  Mine is a 2006 1.4 diesel euroengine(whatever that is). Apparently it`s very economical.
                  I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

A week or so ago we had an energy company come round asking if we'd llike to switch. Usually I'd send them off, but this time for some reason I didn't. It seemed a good deal, prices frozen until Oct 2009, and saving £3 per month on payments as well. Today I had a letter from them, saying they had found out the gas comes from an independent transporter? so it would cost an extra £46 per year. This is more of a gamble. I have 14 days to make up my mind, tho OH says it's not worth it.
                    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sharonr View Post
                      Mine is a 2006 1.4 diesel euroengine(whatever that is). Apparently it`s very economical.
                      Don't know what that means either, but I guess lower emissions or something?!
                      pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X