And 'they' wonder why!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
    Its a lot easier saying Machynlleth in your sleep, as your airway closes, and help get the raspiness of the ch.
    I agree with that! Right at the point of choking the sound is about perfect!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
      One pondereth aloud at how the Shakespearean folk of yesteryear wouldeth baulk at how verily the English language hath altered so.
      LOL LOL !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
        I agree with that! Right at the point of choking the sound is about perfect!

When does your title reign end MOM?

Sorry that sounds like I want it to, and thats not the case shirl, though I do miss the Golf.
        Last edited by Mikey; 03-07-2008, 01:31 PM.
        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

When does your title reign end MOM?

Sorry that sounds like I want it to, and thats not the case shirl, though I do miss the Golf.
          LOL, I got MOM'ed (pardon any incorrect use of the apostrophe) on 10 June - I guess the term is served when the lovely powers that be have considered and nominated a new MOM. I am not missing the Golf - she is parked outside the house at the moment
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

was at St A for 4 years MOM, loved it there so much - was sad when we got posted

Talking of Ole Bill - I wonder what he would have made of our txt spk
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

All hail MOM!
              All hail MOM!
              Oh MOM can you see by the dawn's early light...

ala. grand central station locker creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by willowstar View Post
                I agree the homework sentence above it pretty shocking.

But...I am like the poster above...I have just written a PhD, papers in journals etc...but my spelling is pretty flakey. I am an avid reader and have been since a little person, but I just don't spell very well. Also, I am 34 and don't really remember being taught grammar except when I moved and went to an American school and learned Spanish and German!!! The only time I get irritated is when I read my Sunday paper and spot spelling mistakes because I know that there are people employed there to ensure that doesn't happen. Everyone has different strengths in life, spelling and grammar are more difficult for some people than others. we can't all be perfect - live and let live.

There is a huge difference between making the odd mistake and laziness. There was nothing wrong with your post, that I could see! You even spelt grammar right, hurrah!!!

I agree with you that people in literary jobs have more of a responsibility, but I thought that was the point of this thread? Somebody responsible for a child's education has made an appalling error! I've got lots of friends that can't spell - my OH is terrible at it! Does that mean they should go through life making the same mistakes when they can learn from them? I think as long as we're polite/make a joke of it, there's no harm. One friend had no idea of the difference between 'bought' and 'brought'. She was actually quite pleased to learn something (although I had mysterious pains in the abdomen, later...). I certainly don't take offence when people correct me. Every day's a school day (I wish!).

p.s. How many people posting on this thread have carefully checked what they've typed before posting??? Own up!!

Comment

You'll always see where I reread it after sending, as there is a last edited bit!! I still don't get it right.

Comment

found some fab t-shirts for some of you here...

http://www.ijudgeyouwhen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
                      p.s. How many people posting on this thread have carefully checked what they've typed before posting??? Own up!!
                      me, more times than not (altho not in this one) cos I bang out the words, press send then it jumps before my eyes and I think - oops!

I don't always get my spelling correct - but then I'm not an English teacher, the person in question at the start of my post is! And yes, we all make mistakes, but it seems this happens often in the kids' homework - so not really any excuse is there.

Oh and yes, I'm very guilty of using slang in here and on other forums that I wouldn't use in a business proposal - innit
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

Oh, such language as doth sooth my ears. As a Welshman, I see no harm in this, language be it written or spoken is language all the same. You should see the average school register these days, and then tell me about spelling.
                        If I were to write: 'They're planning to leave their car over there', it makes sense. If I wrote: 'Their planning to leave there car over they're, it's senseless, and so it does matter.
                        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I was taught spelling & handwriting by a very strict lady teacher at junior school & grammar & punctuation by a very strict lady teacher at grammar school & consequently I used to be quite good at it. I find nowadays I'm a bit lazy but it still annoys me when I see something printed in an official letter, newspaper or on T.V. that is bad grammar or spelt incorrectly. If it had been my child's homework I would have sent it back to the teacher with a big red pen circle around the error!
                          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

The trouble is kids use too much text language.Dnt tha m8!!!!
                            Last edited by Cloud; 03-07-2008, 08:20 PM.
                            The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                              If I were to write: 'They're planning to leave their car over there', it makes sense. If I wrote: 'Their planning to leave there car over they're, it's senseless, and so it does matter.
                              Still reads the same though.

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
                              The trouble is kids use too much text language.Dnt tha m8!!!!
                              I don't understand text speak, its way over me head.

Comment

Text speak is basically English with the vowels removed - I'm a bit odd in that I text in full, but my phone does have a qwerty so tis easy I guess
                                aka
                                Suzie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X