No announcement yet.

And 'they' wonder why!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree the homework sentence above it pretty shocking.

But...I am like the poster above...I have just written a PhD, papers in journals etc...but my spelling is pretty flakey. I am an avid reader and have been since a little person, but I just don't spell very well. Also, I am 34 and don't really remember being taught grammar except when I moved and went to an American school and learned Spanish and German!!! The only time I get irritated is when I read my Sunday paper and spot spelling mistakes because I know that there are people employed there to ensure that doesn't happen. Everyone has different strengths in life, spelling and grammar are more difficult for some people than others. we can't all be perfect - live and let live.

Comment

One pondereth aloud at how the Shakespearean folk of yesteryear wouldeth baulk at how verily the English language hath altered so.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
        Come on now me lovely, you is knowing what me saying, isn't it.
        LOL!! at Mikey

Yes, it's true, some people can read words which are misspelt quite easily, something in the brain reads so fast it is basically ignoring the order of the letters but just assimilating all the letters at once and assuming what the word is. But, A. Not everyone can do it. And B. If the wrong word is used altogether, then the sentence can be confusing or misleading.
        And in the case of letters etc. from school being incorrect, I think it's terrible! What sort of an example are they setting? Someone new has started sorting out the letters being sent home from my kid's primary school and they are now FULL of spelling & grammatical errors, it really gets my back up! Especially as my Ma used to be responsible for that job, and was meticulous with her proof-reading. She thought the same as me - the best way to teach is to lead by example, and correct every mistake as soon as you see it in the kids work. (She was the highest level of Special Needs Teaching Assistant) After being corrected on a word 2 or 3 times your brain will usually remember it!
        I get accused of being a pedant too, that's fine, I'd rather be pedantic and right, than lackadaisical and wrong

Comment

I concur willowstar, except not with the PhD, why do they not just make it PHD, its so fiddly on the keyboard.

I didn't have any grammer lessons in school and I am of a similar age, clearly our generation missed out. You cannot blame anyone but the education system, which stems from recommendations from the government. So I blame, Margaret Thatcher!!, I'd be so much better off if she hadn't nicked me milk.
          Last edited by Mikey; 03-07-2008, 11:33 AM.
          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I wasn't taught punctuation either, not that it stuck anyway, so now I punctuate where appropriate. My wife is a teacher and I frequently have to check and correct her reports. The problem is she is first language Welsh, and as such English grammar, spelling, and punctuation are not high on her skills (mine either). She is however a brilliant teacher, sometimes its easy to pick at the small points, yes I agree its important, but how can you expect the current block of teachers to achieve it if they were not taught it themselves.
            Last edited by Mikey; 03-07-2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
              So I blame, Margaret Thatcher!!, I'd be so much better off if she hadn't kicked me milk.
              Now, you see to me, that just sounds painful!!
              Tx

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                One pondereth aloud at how the Shakespearean folk of yesteryear wouldeth baulk at how verily the English language hath altered so.
                You're right of course - I have a dictionary which was published in 1735, and just the first page is enough to give you brain cramp
                Hang on, and I'll type some of it out. (it may take some time, as I only type with 3 fingers )

Comment

Originally posted by tootles View Post
                  Now, you see to me, that just sounds painful!!
                  Yeah, I know that's why I corrected it to nicked.

Its no longer painful, just bitter.
                  Last edited by Mikey; 03-07-2008, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Here you go!
                    I've copied exactly the spelling, punctuation, italics and capital letters, which appear randomly in the middle of sentences!! And loads of the S's look like F's!

From; A New General English Dictionary - Originally begun by the late Rev'd Mr Thomas Dyche And Now Finish'd by William Pardon, Gent. MDCCXXXV

A New General English Dictionary;
                    Peculiarly Calculated for the Use and Improvement
                    Of such as are unaquainted with the Learned Languages.
                    Wherein the difficult Words, and Technical Terms made use of in [...list of professions etc.] Are not only fully explain'd, but accented on their proper Syllables. to prevent a vicious Pronunciation, and mark'd with initial Capitals to denote the Part of Speech to which each Word peculiarly belongs.
                    To Which is Prefixed,
                    A Compendious English GRAMMAR, with general RULES for the ready Formation of One Part of Speech from another; by the due Application whereof, such as understand the English only, may be able to write as correctly and elegantly, as those who have been some Years conversant with the Latin, Greek&c.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                      You're right of course - I have a dictionary which was published in 1735, and just the first page is enough to give you brain cramp
                      Hang on, and I'll type some of it out. (it may take some time, as I only type with 3 fingers )
                      Are you trying to insinuate that I made a serious point?

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Are you trying to insinuate that I made a serious point?
                        Yeah, weird innit?
                        Read that above though, and tell me you aren't having brain cramp

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                          Yeah, weird innit?
                          Read that above though, and tell me you aren't having brain cramp
                          The legal profession still word their documents in the exact same fashion.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a language changing, it evolves to suit the people who use it. A sentence which reads: 'Forsooth! Yeah I must venture forth to find yon villein who doth knoweth that which causeth ye goodly words to appeareth not upon this box of lights. For verily I am lost', obviously needs to change to 'I'm going to call technical support'. I think what annoys people is more those mistakes which completely change the meaning or our understanding of a sentence. As with the 'Julies Driving School' example above, the loss of one apostrophe has altered the whole meaning of the sentence. If mistakes such as that are allowed to become the norm then written English will soon become completely meaningless.
                            Last edited by bluemoon; 03-07-2008, 11:58 AM.
                            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

The legal profession still word their documents in the exact same fashion.
                              Thats why we don't understand them.

Comment

Forsooth is my new favourite word!

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X