Life gets in the way!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote=Snadger;245146]

Thanks, two people have offered to turn up, but haven't. I'm probably wrong, but I feel as if if I don't have a man in tow, they don't think it's important, or that I can't afford to pay.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Comment

JanieB, glad to see you back and really feel for you with all thats gone on lately.

I agree with the others, taking of your frame without notice is theft. If you have any independent GC's near you, they may do rotovator hire, also if you have a Travis Perkins or similar company nearby, they hire out, I looked into it myself before I decided to get my very own toy!

Hugs to you, hope things work out
      Kirsty
      x
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

JanieB, how horrible for you I wish I lived closer, but by the time I drove down to you, I'd have to turn round & drive back to get the kids to school! Sounds like you're feeling really down & a bit daunted? We've all been there with these horribly overgrown, full of rubbish plots, but yours sounds atrocious!
        I think the others are right, you should speak to a different member of the committee, this secretary woman sounds like she's determined to have a "my grief/life is worse than yours" competition, which is a pointless waste of her breath and your time! I'm sure if you spend as much time there as possible tomorrow, and they can see that you're prepared to put the work in, then a chat with a more reasonable committee member to try and gain more time (and mention the disappearance of your greenhouse, but not any of the rubbish!!). If you're successful, then you should make a plan for how to go forward from there. If you have a local Horticultural Society, they may be useful for reccommending a person to hire for help? Or why not invite all your nearest Grapes to a lottie clearing plus barbeque party?! If you make it in the summer hols (OMG, only 4 weeks away ), I'll come!
        Good luck hon, plenty of strong, happy vibes coming your way

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
          Or why not invite all your nearest Grapes to a lottie clearing plus barbeque party?! If you make it in the summer hols (OMG, only 4 weeks away ), I'll come!
          Perfect idea! Set to it gal, tons of us near enough to do this - SD will help with the cooking
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

Hiya

Was out yesterday for the day, so missed this.

What a horrible position to be in; can you just get there today and do the most visible effort in the least time; put down cardboard boxes [raid the supermarkets] and/or weed fabric? Weight down with bricks or anything to hand and just dig a small area?

Look at what 'get it sorted really means' - in my book surely that's 'make a start' on clearing it. And yes, I think removing a greenhouse is pants - why on earth did they do that - it just demotivates and demoralises, and that's not what you need now.

Also, pop down every day if you can, and make yourself as visible as possible so that nobody can say they haven't seen you.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you in the coming few days.

Comment

Poor you I would help too if I lived nearer. All I can say is the same as everyone else do a little to show you are trying is there a field manager or is that the same as the secretary?
              Good luck with it and we are all here to help so rant rave whatever you need to do if it helps.
              Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
              and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                put down cardboard boxes [raid the supermarkets] and/or weed fabric? Weight down with bricks or anything to hand and just dig a small area? .
                Just acquired a lot of cardboard from flatpacked kitchen units (yes, I've got a building project on the go as well).

Just having a cuppa before heading off to the lottie. I still haven't worked out how to start my strimmer, but a mate has said if I'm really stuck he'll start it for me.

We have both a Travis Perkins and a hire shop, unfortunately they aren't open over the weekend. I think I might invest in a rotovator since I can't seem to get a hold of one any other way.
                "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                Oxfordshire

Comment

Have you had a look at the website for whatever make your strimmer is JanieB? Some of the websites have downloadable instruction manuals. good luck with your day of clearing - hope it isn't as windy there as it is here or you and the cardboard will be taking off!!!
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Only just found this thread JanieB. I think removing your greenhouse frame without notice when you are still the legal tenant of the plot is too high handed to be believed! There must be someone you can chase this up with. I also agree that you have extenuating circumstances - everyone here is capable of seeing that so your allotment committee should be able to as well. Don't give up lass. I do hope things work out for you.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

OK. So worked out how to start the strimmer, then realised that it came with about enough nylon "blade" to do about a square metre. Head off to local garden centre. They've got lots of "gift ideas" but don't sell strimmers, lawn mowers, rotovators or parts thereof. Fortunately the local DIY/hardware store is open on a Sunday and they do. Only a few doors away from my eldest son & family so drop in to beg a coffee off them (well it would be rude not to). They were off to White Horse Hill kite flying, then found the kite was broken.

Whole family turned up at lottie and got stuck in. I was told sort it including some planting. It is fully strimmed, the crap left by the last plot holder is now in a heap. I've retrieved my greenhouse frame from the site tip ( I think I've also got part of someone elses greenhouse, aluminium is aluminium). They've bent several bits of the frame and I know that aluminium is fairly metal fatigue intolerant. I might have to get my Bro to make some bits for me.

Couldn't put down weed suppressant, we tried several times but it is far too windy. Couldn't plant anything as ground is too hard. But we have a plan.

I'm now sharing the plot with my daughter-in-law. They have a rented house not far from me and she is now really into gardening but is restricted as to what she can do in the garden of a rented house.

The BBQ idea is a goer. I need help to put the greenhouse up. When I stored it I did it in a methodical way so's I'd know how it went back together. Having it nicked off the site has put paid to that.

Now feeling a LOT more positive. If they chuck me off after todays effort I will bill them for a) time spent retrieving my greenhouse and b) time spent clearing the plot. I get paid £20 ph so that should be good .
                      Oxfordshire

Comment

Result JanieB. Good to see you looking more positive about it all. Hope it progresses nicely.
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

Hi
                          Glad you at least found the frame. Also that you now have a partner to share the load.

The difference should be there for all to see; now to get a plant or two in to make your stand.

I've got my fingers crossed that you will hear no more about the threat and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Comment

whooo way to go girl *high fives JanieB

As for putting down membrane in winding conditions, SD and I did this between us - you certainly need two peeps for this - we layed out the membrane, chucked stones on it until we cut and pegged it in, it has never moved and we are next to the runway that is uber windy .... so should work for you
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                              whooo way to go girl *high fives JanieB

As for putting down membrane in winding conditions, SD and I did this between us - you certainly need two peeps for this
                              There were 6 of us trying but it was seriously too windy. I can do it on my own when the wind drops. I was trying to use wood to hold the membrane down. I'll go back with lumps of brick and concrete (not on site but lots in my "garden".
                              Oxfordshire

Comment

I'd consider a few fruit bushes - you can probably still get pot grown things though it's not the ideal time to be planting them. I used newspaper as a mulch when I put in some black-currants at my old plot. I just put down full papers and cut crosses in to plant through. Chuck a bit of soil over to hold them down and they keep the weeds down initially and then rot away. Can you get a tray or two of brassicas - they still seem to have them in garden centres? Then you have 'planting'.
                                Glad things are looking up.
                                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X