No announcement yet.

Allotment Holders

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here in Norfolk I wrote to the Man In Charge of allotments, asking for a plot. No reply.
    I telephoned him, and just got an answerphone. My calls never returned.
    I then walked to the site, got chatting to a plot-holder, and he let me in to have a look round. I could see one plot that was very obviously untended. I then put a note through the Rep's door, specifically asking for that plot.
    Next day, the Rep is on my doorstep, with a key and a contract!
    Persistence pays off, as does face-to-face contact. Letters, phone calls and emails are too easy to ignore.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I know I mentioned it before but have you tried to find out if theres anyone struggling to maintain a full plot?I bumped into the man I mentioned before who@d "shared"1\2 his plot with someone as through poor health he was finding it difficult to keep up;he's unfortunately for him now contemplating giving up the whole plot & 1st offer will prob go to the family that were helping him out with the other 1\2.
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

My thread Chasing a new allotment 08-06-2008 under 'Allotment Finder' might interest you

If you take over a very neglected and overgrown plot the council will often let you off the first yer's rent

Best of luck! geoff

Comment

'tis true. I've just taken over a very neglected plot and they are offering me the second years rent free. I wonder tho' if they think I won't last that long.

Must.prove.them.wrong.

Comment

well in our village we have triesd to persuade the council to sort out some allotments, but all they said is "well that'll be goodbye to your playing field then" and "we can provide them to council tenants" ha-ha, they dumped us council tenants on a housing association last year, kept the garages and double the rental in them.
            So we have decided to look around for a field to rent instead, just us and a couple of other families. Somewhere we can garden, keep a couple of chooks and maybe a goat or 3. (I have kept goats and chooks before)
            http://www.freewebs.com/notesfromtheplot/ **updated**

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild View Post
              well in our village we have triesd to persuade the council to sort out some allotments, but all they said is "well that'll be goodbye to your playing field then" and "we can provide them to council tenants" ha-ha, they dumped us council tenants on a housing association last year, kept the garages and double the rental in them.
              So we have decided to look around for a field to rent instead, just us and a couple of other families. Somewhere we can garden, keep a couple of chooks and maybe a goat or 3. (I have kept goats and chooks before)
              Good luck with that. Let us know how you get on.
              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

This may well be a new thread, dunno yet?? Anyhoo, our local council looks like they have come to the end of allotment holding. As it appears they are looking to ask us if we want to go self-management. This on the face of it looks like a good idea/ But, as with all things new and untested (and us being Yorkshire) We are very wary. We have some some good things, and some bad. We have been informed that a company called 'Incredible Edible' may be interested ? which sounds REALLY scary. Like an evangelical Worzel Gummage. Has any one any thoughts on this??
                Geoff

Comment

Have you goggled "Incredible Edible"? Don't be afraid
                  Incredible Edible Todmorden | The Future Of Local Food In Todmorden

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    It is quite usual for plots to be handed over at the end of the allotment year, ie October.

keep your ear to the ground though, as plots do become available at any time.

Which will contribute to weed and poor management issues.

Comment

Originally posted by sodbuster View Post
                      This may well be a new thread, dunno yet?? Anyhoo, our local council looks like they have come to the end of allotment holding. As it appears they are looking to ask us if we want to go self-management. This on the face of it looks like a good idea/ But, as with all things new and untested (and us being Yorkshire) We are very wary. We have some some good things, and some bad. We have been informed that a company called 'Incredible Edible' may be interested ? which sounds REALLY scary. Like an evangelical Worzel Gummage. Has any one any thoughts on this??
                      Geoff

There's no money in allotments.
                      Councils want to reduce the costs by putting the burden of repairs on to allotment holders.

Benefits: allotment groups can manage sites better themselves.
                      Disadvantes: when vandals break the fence, plotters pay for a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                        Which will contribute to weed and poor management issues.
                        Don't understand your comment, why would an allotment becoming available make any difference to management issues?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          Don't understand your comment, why would an allotment becoming available make any difference to management issues?
                          If sites wait until the end of the paid up year to try to get rid of people who aren't looking after their plots then it's going to make the weed issue take longer to be resolved.

Some people think they can keep their plot until the end of the paid year even if they don't tend it. Our rules enable us to throw people off (following a procedure of evidence gathering, warning letters and final notice) at any time.

If you had to wait another, say, 6 months to the end of the year that they'd paid up to then that'd be 6 months extra weeds on top of the ones already there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X