No announcement yet.

Am I wrong?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're not wrong at all Snadger. Work is a great big intrusion in your life. I'm retired and it's wonderful. I can do what I like when I like. But I still don't have enough hours in the day, or days in the week for all the things I want to do.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

No Snadger, I feel you I really do.... I've ben thinking the same recently too
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

know how you feel, im day off today and was looking forward to spending the day being barbara good, but heyho its raining again!!!!!!
        Ive cut down to working just 2 days a week and even resent going in then as it cuts in to my lottie time, I just want to "veg" out all the time.............my family say im obsessed but hey ho..... am i bovvered lol

Comment

Put it this way... I have a sicknote from my docs to take me up to next Thursday but I'm fine now to go back. But it' soooooooooooooooooo tempting to stay off and spend it down the lottie
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I would almost sell my soul to be out of the rat race and have enough land to support us.
            Yo an' Bob
            Walk lightly on the earth
            take only what you need
            give all you can
            and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
              Put it this way... I have a sicknote from my docs to take me up to next Thursday but I'm fine now to go back. But it' soooooooooooooooooo tempting to stay off and spend it down the lottie
              dont know if all companies have the same policy,but where i used to work if you had dr certificate saying you couldnt work then for insurance purposes they couldnt let you back until certificate had expired regardless of how well you were!so i say enjoy your week at lottie!!
              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

You are not wrong Snadger. I'm finding work stressful lately, which saddens me because I have always loved my job. I work part time which does allow me a fair bit of time at the plot, but I also have the necessary evil of housework etc which is making me resentful that its keeping me from the plot.
                Another bugger is the warm, wet weather is helping the weeds romp away, and I'm struggling to keep on top of them got veg in there somewhere.... gets a bit disheartening sometimes.
                Kirsty b xx

Comment

Snadger; no you are not wrong.

I now work from home, and unless I have meetings booked with clients [which means I have to actually drive somewhere] can pretty much get stuff done at any time; so when it is raining I can catch up and get stuff finished - and when it isn't I can get to the lottie and in the garden in between work.

Comment

The thing is do you work to live or live to work?
                    The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                      dont know if all companies have the same policy,but where i used to work if you had dr certificate saying you couldnt work then for insurance purposes
                      Now that's the kind of thing I like to hear! And as me Ma said earlier today "oooo you do till have that cough.... But the nurse who issued the note said I could probably go back without having to be signed back on as most companies would just be glad to have their staff back. It's my conscience I'm grappling with today.... and normally the 'be good and do the right thing by work' takes over

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
                      Ah, yes I completely agree with this one. I sometimes wish we hadn't made the property choices we did. Though we have a lovely house etc, and for our age in this area we have done well for ourselves.. it means we can't step down our wages yet and that mean I'm stuck in the city working for a large impersonal company
                      Last edited by Shortie; 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM.
                      Shortie

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
                        I would almost sell my soul to be out of the rat race and have enough land to support us.

Agreed Yo, in fact that would be my ultimate lifestyle, an eco house, enough land for growing, plus enough to keep pigs, chucks, a few lambs and a housecow! Trouble is you really need a lot of money plus some income every year just to be able to live the dream! Perhaps one day.............
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Shortie; with my manager head on now...I've sent people back home even though they are saying they are well enough to work if their sick note is still valid. If you have an accident whilst signed off sick; it would be your manager's responsibility. Perhaps your nurse doesn't appreciate it but if you are signed off, you are signed off. Do you really want your manager to get into trouble?

Stay at home and use the time wisely.
                          Last edited by zazen999; 08-06-2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Ta Zazen. My Dad said this to me earlier...that my boss'd get in trouble if I had an accident... and I have complete respect for my bo (just not my job) o wouldn't want to cause problems for him... ... .. that's what I'll tell myself anyway

Oooo I feel really naughty now!
                            Shortie

Comment

Sue , heres to one of us winning the lotterie some time soon.

prehaps it would help if we entered!
                              Yo an' Bob
                              Walk lightly on the earth
                              take only what you need
                              give all you can
                              and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
                                This has now become my mantra and always should have been and in my mind, should be everyone else as well (unless you're Steven Spielberg or Brad Pitt or somebody like that).

At the end of the day, it's whatever floats your boat, but I've see so many people obsessed with staying behind at work for whatever reason and the end result is usually that it's for nothing, nada, zippo, zilch. No slap on the back. No 'here, have tomorrow off'. Most larger companies don't thank you for it. In fact, some see it as a natural part of 'the job' - giving up all your free time for the greater good of the company. Not any more. There are far more important things in life than money. Life itself, for one. I'd rather have a wonderful day spent tending the garden, reading a book or watching a great movie with a glass of vino in hand that be richer by an amount that is rarely worth the effort involved in obtaining it.

Here's to being poor but happy!
                                Smile! It's the curve that can set a lot of things straight!

http://www.youtube.com/BradThunder

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X