anyone got an African Grey?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NOG View Post
    If you want a parrot? PM me your address and I will catch you a few and post them to you.

We have loads living in the trees at the allotments. Only they are green not gray.

There are a few groups living in Kent and Surrey.
    We have green parakeets living in the local park, and have even had them on our "bird bar" in the back garden - they quite like the bird cake I make
    Attached Files

Comment

Yup, I have a young African Grey. 'Bobby', he's only 8 mnths old and wolf whistles a lot and is starting to make throaty, wordy type noises. So hopefully he'll master a few words and phrases soon. As for screeching, Greys are pretty quiet but he's not without the odd manic tantrum. All in all he's coming along nicely and we're happy with him (good job really as they can live for around 60 yrs)

Comment

Hi there two sheds, yes I have an african grey. His name is skip and he is 10 now. He is the sulkiest thing I have ever encountered and that taskes some doing. He orders the dogs around and noone is allowed near me. What do you want to know? I'll see if I can help. Jan

Comment

i used to have one two sheds he was a fabulous speaker at just over a year old picked up swearing of anyone who happened to let slip, mimicked the phone at exactly one minute before i would normally ring and used to send oh running to answer a phone that wasnt really ringing, whistled librity valance by gene pitney perfectly and head banged to alice cooper and wasp songs (he got called cooper and could say his name), they seem to really like people and are very cheeky, before you think im bad for letting mine go to a new home i did give mine to a family friend who had an avery so he had more space and other birds to be with and i do see him so i didnt abandon him and hes very happy, they need very similar care to all other kinds of parrots and i know aubergines are poisionous to them. mine could say about 50 words after 2 months of being with me so they learn fast if you spend time with them but they are supposed to be one of the better speakers. i think an african grey would really like you, especially as you have 20 years experience.

Comment

Really I just wondered how noisy/screechy they are. I'd love a sulpher- or a Moluccan cockatoo (in my dreams), but it would wake the neighbours ... in the next town!
            Greys seem to be a bit quieter, and of course talk better, which is the appeal. If I could teach it to hunt cats, even better!
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Really I just wondered how noisy/screechy they are. I'd love a sulpher- or a Moluccan cockatoo (in my dreams), but it would wake the neighbours ... in the next town!
              Greys seem to be a bit quieter, and of course talk better, which is the appeal. If I could teach it to hunt cats, even better!
              mine deffinatly wasnt screechy and not too noisey, if you let him out the cage for a good while, he was quiet all evening even when my fav tv programme was on he only got a little noisey if he hadnt been out the cage straight after i finished work. one thing i have found happens with many parrotts but especially with greys if the bird is male it will favour the female of the household and if bird female will favour the male, so good idea to decide whos pet its going to be before getting the bird. we didnt do this bird was to be hubbys but as the bird was male it took to me and then didnt want to know hubby much unless he had food. but loved me i even taught him a few tricks, so getting the right sex bird will be important if you intend to do any training.
              ps mine used to attack the cat and dive bomb it the cat was possativly scared of the parrot they had to be sperated.
              Last edited by percy charlie; 04-06-2008, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Are they any good with slugs?
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X