No announcement yet.

Sciatica - any tips?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get a pain down my left leg just before I wake up in the morning - in fact it wakes me up nearly every day now, the pain is from the top right down to my ankle and although its not bad enough for me to go to the doctors I did mention it to the nurse when I had my blood pressure taken recently - and she said it was probably sciatica. Since last week I now have a pain when I walk (I walk everywhere, no car) - its wierd as its in my left heel when I put my foot down - and a the same time I get a pain in my buttock. Has anyone experienced this? Would you say its sciatica? I'm not going to the doc and being given painkillers and anti-inflams whilst its not too bad but I will start doing some of the tall guys stretching excersizes in the morning - I do stretch when I can remember but you've made me think and I shall be doing them every day from now on. Thanks for bringing up this subject. We should all look after our backs.... especially with our passion for bending and digging.

Comment

Sciatica is a symptom, not an actual illness ... often a symptom of a slipped disc, pinched nerve, poor posture etc.

Remember, bend your knees, not your back, esp. when digging.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Marthaclematis View Post
        ..... Would you say its sciatica? .....
        you need to get it checked - but in my case there is no pain whatsoever when I walk.

Further to the possible causes of sciatica, the consultant that saw me and decided on carrying out an MRI also threw hereditary into the melting pot
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

Thank you SO much everyone! I knew you would be able to help me. I'm sorry, but I can't reply individually to each answer, but what a wealth of information, which I never knew about!
          I always get confused between osteopath and the other one, chriopractor?? and the exercises suggested DO make sense - I actually get relief from my bad back if I curl up in a ball and stretch my back - strange? yep!
          As for the IOM - my back was fine! Couldn't believe it!!!
          Had an absolutely FANTASTIC time - can't wait for next year - can't understand why "the boys" said I couldn't go over for the whole of the week - does anyone know why?
          I can't wait to put into practise all your suggestions - many, many thanks.
          Bernie akd DDL
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
            and that is good stiffness and soreness

ah ha so that's why you are up there - will it give me a few extra inches
            by gum boys and girls! just read this bit! sorry, but my mind is going onto overtime! making me forget that my back has started twitching again now I'm home! Time to move to the IOM on a permanent basis methinks! (I should be so lucky!!) Bernie
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

my sciatica got worse after i had my baby (he was back to back with me inside ) which made it worse then i had a fall with my boy who was 4 months at the time and i had to fall back on the stairs or i would of dropped or squashed him, so that didnt help. and i was only 20 when this happened 9 years on i dont get it as much but i have found exersise does help, i gave up smoking and went to the gym 4 times a week, slowly at first then built up my strength, i cant use bike machines as my knees give out, rowing machine, cross trainer, gentle sit ups helpt alot, then i had to stop as i couldnt afford it but in the year i went i had no IBS problems nor back problems whatsoever, now i just know if i have work to do i make sure i dont stop till i have finished cause i know, as soon as i stop it will lock and the nerve will start, even when i make a cuppa inbetween i rock gently to keep moving, and so at the end of the day, i just run a bath and settle after with a warm bottle and possiably a few painkillers if its really bad and do nothing till the morning and 9/10 im fine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X