Oh No......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh No......

Been away since last Friday evening. Just got back now and like a true garden nutter went out armed with my torch to inspect the garden. London must have had warmed weather than where I was as all my potted carrots look dead, my pansy, albretia [sp] and mimulus wheel barrow planter is dead and my chilli plants look very worse for wear. For some reason my onions also look shrivelled

On the plus, my ground planted carrots look good. The two rouge carrot seeds from last years planting that went to seed before I went away now have very odd but strangely pretty seed/flower heads on them, my butternut squashes are puting on good growth and my ground planted toms are nice and healthy. My rhubarb is rather large again (sweetish chutney with this lot me thinks), and the tatties in my compost definately seem to be waging a take over bid with pretty white flowers on them

Just gutted about what I think has died. Lets see the real extent of the damage tomorow eh?

Oh, and my salad is shrivelled and my thyme in the same pot looks like it's seen better days. Try repotting it tomorrow and giving it a darned good soak (the thyme that is, not the salad)

Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

What a shame shortie but with the weather yesterday I think you have maybe got off lightly - it was stiffling here and I gather it's going to carry on like this until Friday. I hope the damage is minimal today.
    www.poultrychat.com

Comment

That's rotten luck Shortie but the weather has been really hot and only your pot planted vegetables were affected so next time you go on holiday you know to sort out a watering system for your pots.
      [

Comment

Hi Shortie, sorry about your losses. I had to leave all my plants 'home alone' when I went away for a week in scorching June & managed to save most of them. I moved the pots to shadier parts of the garden mixed in some water retaining granules into the ones that didn't already have some watered everything the morning I left & mulched with coffee grounds & garlic barrier granules.It's awkward if you don't have someone to go round & water for you as only a few days can make a difference as you found but hopefully most of your plants will recover with a bit of TLC. I only lost a couple of plants which were at the back of the mini greenhouse & probably hadn't been watered properly in the first place!
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Thanks all. Turned out not quite as bad as I thought, although still not good! I gave everything a soak early this morning and hoping it will perk up. Will do another soaking session tonight and then a good dose of comfry liquid feed.
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Always seems to look worse when you first see it all on your return. I go away in a couple of weeks time and am already planning how to leave everything! Not so hot here though, although we did make it 21 degrees on Saturday.
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Will definately be trying the idea of a drinks bottle with a hole in the lid that I saw whilst away...
              Shortie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X