Where are all the butterflies?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are all the butterflies?

Has anyone else noticed there are hardly any butterflies around this year? I seem to remember Andrew saying he'd only seen a few whites somewhere in another thread & I realised that I haven't seen any at all for a few weeks. I did see a peacock, small blue, orange tip, small white & speckled wood a while ago but wonder if all the cold wet weather we had in May has killed them all off. We usually have quite a few in our garden & the bees are still around but no butterflies. Any ideas?
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

I don't know SueA, but I have noticed the same thing. Usually we have lots of butterflies - peacocks, red admirals, painted ladies, orange tips, blues and others. We saw a few earlier in the year but now see hardly any. Maybe it was the dreadful weather in May. Or maybe they do come later. The budlia (that's not how you spell that !) hasn't flowered yet so will see what happens then. No shortage of bees though. All kinds, including some I've never noticed before. Must look into the different varieties.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Have seen quite a few butterflies the last few weeks and have had probs with caterpillers already on toms and aubergines!Got masses of bumble bees around our hebe bushes,especially the white flowered ones.

Comment

Perhaps it's just 'up North' Lyndap, because they've definitely dissappeared from round here, I haven't seen a single one not even a dreaded cabbage white for at least 2 weeks & not many before that. It's also been quite windy until recently so perhaps they've all got blown off course somewhere?

Comment

Most of our garden abounds in perennial flowers so over the last few years the butterfly population has been going up. Now though I am growing vegetables I wish there were not so many.

Comment

We have a large buddleia alternifolia which is currently in full flower. Normally it is covered with bees, hoverflies and butterflies. The bush fair 'humms' with them. This year, so far nothing.

valmarg

Comment

They're all on my Bl***y Brussels !!
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

None at all here this year either. Must be the cold wet weather. Its been cold dull and miserable here most of the week. We have had our central heating on nearly every night. Can't blame the butterflies for disappearing.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief
                  They're all on my Bl***y Brussels !!
                  Okay, we can blame Nick then. Oh and my big sis. She seems to be cultivating the caterpillars on her broccoli!
                  Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Lack of butterflies

Oh dear Nick, you win some you lose some. The old cabbage white can be an absolute decimator of crops.

I would have to say (with fingers crossed) we don't seem to have our usual plague of CWB (thankfully).

valmarg

Comment

Shortie, I think Nick & Jaxom are deliberately seducing all the butterflies by growing all that tasty veg. but unfortunately they don't seem to be attracting all my slugs & snails over to them!
                      We just went to Arley Hall Gardens today in Cheshire & walked down a country lane to it for a mile or so & round the gardens full of beautiful flower borders, sat & had a carrot cake & cup of tea ( that was my Silver Wedding treat by the way, from my garden hating O.H.) & only saw 4 butterflies all day!

Comment

SueA, Congratulations on your Silver Wedding Anniversary.I hope you will have many more happy years to come.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice, still claiming to be a 'child bride' like yourself!
                          Any remaining butterflies would have been stoned to death yesterday by the giant hailstones we had or fried in the heat, I don't hold out much hope of seeing any for a while.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X