Has anyone made yoghurt?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone made yoghurt?

I fancy having a go at making some yoghurt and wondered if anyone has tried and tested recipe I could follow

I made them in the past NG, you will need yoghurt live culture, fresh milk and constant heat. I don't know where and what brand of live culture can you get in the UK for starting them, sorry.
    If you you have them, boil your fresh milk,let it cool to around 28 C or so, add live culture with ratio of 1 cup culture : 5 to 8 cups of milk. Let them ferment in constant warm temp (I put mine close to the heating but don't know the exact temperature). Yoghurt is ready around 8 hours later. After it is ready, you can keep it in the fridge for 3 days or so.
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Not sure if you really want something more traditional but I really like my Easi Yo yogurt maker:

Welcome to Easiyo
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

If you use live yoghourt, and warm milk you can actually "make" it in a vacuum flask as this will keep it at the right temperature.

Comment

easi yo + simply yogurt

Have tried both of these and would recommend - easy to make and 1 litre of yogurt ready in about 8 hours - choices of flavours in both ranges. Good luck

Comment

I make yoghurt the easy way with 900 mL UHT milk (no need to heat), 2 tablespoons of milk powder and 1 teaspoon of live yoghurt (preferably using the last lot you made) and then leave overnight in a yoghurt maker. I like mine with maple syrup or honey.
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I make yoghurt every few days using an electric Yoghurt maker from Lakeland its really easy to use. I use fresh milk so have to sterilise it first, let it cool to 110f then add a tablespoon of yoghurt from the last batch. It gets left in the yog maker for 5 or 6 hours and is yum on my morning muesli.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I use Easiyo yoghurt as well its lovely!

Sue
                x

Comment

Now nobdoy shoot me down in flames but......

when I was a stooodent a long time ago we had a v strange chappie who lived in our house. he had the same thing for brekkie, lunch and tea every day for a whole year! and never drank any alcohol.

he used to have a yoghurt maker and made yoghurt everyday with diff types of milk (he claimed he could tell which was which by the taste of the end result)

And us being naghty stoodents used to come home a wee bit squiffy of a night and swap all the pots about that were cooking or whatevr it was they were doing. The poor chap used to be so confused in the morning, muttering about how he was sure this one was made form blah blah and it tasted weird, it was very funny.

janeyo

ps he also had a friend over and showed him round the house pointing out the lightswitches and washed all his clothes in the shower!

Comment

I make yoghurt in an EasiYo too, but don't use their powders as I can't bear the taste of skimmed milk powder (which is what it ends up tasting like to me).

I put 2 tblsps Total Greek yoghurt in the bottom of the pot, fill up with Tesco's own full-fat UHT milk, shake like mad, fill up the outer case with boiling water from the kettle, bung the inner pot in, do up the lid and go to bed.

In the morning I have really yummy yoghurt. How easy was that?

(Actually I don't at the moment as since we moved I seem to have lost my outer casing (in more ways than one no doubt) and I know it must be SOMEWHERE so I am too tight to buy a replacement. But I digress...)

Comment

Thanks everyone, sounds easy

Comment

Does blending greek yogurt with strawberries count? Thats very nice

Comment

I make my own yoghurt, sooo easy. and you can make pints of it!
                          Rhubarb, honey and yoghurt for breakfast!
                          go for it!

Comment

I made it back in the 1980's!

I had a tray- a bit like propagator- and 6 little jars with plastic lids on ( about 1/2 the size of a standard, small yogurt pot)
                            I mixed 6 teaspoons of live yog and some full fat milk and very slightly heated them and poured them into the pots for about 8 hrs??- well certainly overnight.
                            Ate 1 pot and used the remaining one to start again.

Worth trying again- esp when I've finished with the propagator.
                            ( I wonder how it would work out with semi-skimmed milk??)
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                              I wonder how it would work out with semi-skimmed milk??
                              Runny and grainy every time I've tried!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X