Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Crunch - how are you saving money?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catrina View Post
    We started shopping at Liddle. Save loads of money.
    If you're posh, you say Lid -ell
    I got a butternut squash; bag of red onions; an aubergine and a cucumber y'day - 29p each.

I just made a cauldron of beef stew for Mr Sheds - I got 7 man size meals out of it for less than £7.
    • Tesco stewing steak £5
    • onions, carrots, celery
    • white beans to bulk it out, about 2 cans - or 200g dried
    • a glass of red wine (I had to finish the bottle or it would go off, obviously
    • pepper, marmite, dried herbs & Worcester sauce for flavour
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I car share with my brother-in-law who i work with, so im going that way anyway, but he is a car mechanic so in return i get all my services,mot's and any niggly bits that i dont like all done for free, fair exchange i think. Plus instead of doing a big shop at asda etc... im shopping around at places like Aldi and getting some good bargins.
      Life isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by pipscariad View Post
        no holidays, but then hey, we live by the sea in Pembrokeshire

We enjoy life though! Smile often!
        Ooh, a nearly local grape!!! Where in North Pembs are you?
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
          Ooh, a nearly local grape!!! Where in North Pembs are you?
          Near Trefin - whereabouts you? Are there any others around here? - I'm a newbie as I'm sure you realise! I'm also a female - I know it's not very obvious from my user name, as I've already realised from another grape!
          Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

I get some great bargains at my favourite boutiques`

Caterina Ho-Spice and La croix rouge......................St Caterine's Hospice
            & The Red Cross

Comment

Originally posted by pipscariad View Post
              Near Trefin - whereabouts you? Are there any others around here? - I'm a newbie as I'm sure you realise! I'm also a female - I know it's not very obvious from my user name, as I've already realised from another grape!
              I am near Neyland. You will find me on the Grapes Map Google Maps but you need to zoom out a fair bit to see our bit of the planet!! Not quite close enough to just pop in for coffee but the closest grape to me.

Oops, sorry for the diversion from the thread got all excited at a fellow gardener in the area

I bought shin of beef yesterday as I read that was the best cut for slow cooking - now I can't find a darned recipe to make it go a goodly way - any suggestions peeps?
              Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 26-04-2008, 08:02 AM.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

I went to the local butcher on Sat to get a roast for sunday and hoping to get some stewing meat for today. He had a bacon joint for sat (which was a nice bit of bacon, and went absolutely fabbie with our first spring cabbage!!), but had nothing except some mince and a chicken left other than that. Neither of which I wanted. So we got a pork steak in supermarket yesterday (and we finished every bit of it last night) and rolled it in sage leaves, ground black pepper and ground coriander - and I took some spag bol from the freezer for tonight. (I need to empty it for next weekend - see below - and a trip to Newry in the next couple of weeks).

And the veggie shop next door was nearly as expensive as the supermarket (unlike the other relatively local veggie shop where I got twice the amount for the same price last week).

So I think I will be going back to the other veggie shop, and then maybe going to the butcher but very early in the day in future. Oh well, next weekend we are going to visit all our families (they only live 15 miles apart) - so that means a trip to their local farmer's market on sat morning (where the toddler INSISTS we have a cup of coffee each - not exactly being nice to parents cos it's a weekend - she wants the little paper cups of choccie drops given out with each coffee!!) for lots of yummy stuff, and then on into the English Market in Cork City for another load of great fruit, veg, spices and possibly meat (depending on which house we are staying in and how much space there is in that fridge!!).

Comment

When I buy a bag of carrots for the horse ( £1.50 for a sack full) I always bring home a carrier bag full for us .
                  They also sell 'human' carrots ( ie washed and straight as opposed to broken bits and mis-shapen ones) for less than £4 a sack.

Horse carrots are fine for us, so long as they've not been stored outside in the rain ( - they go mushy quite quickly)

Carrot soup made from lamb bones from the local butcher ( free) make a really cheap and healthy soup- all for the cost of an onion!!

Everyone like a bargain eh??
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm not sure I can cut down much more, so I'm worried about rising prices of everything.

I make my own lunches.
                    I make my own bread (and cakes).
                    I don't have a tumble dryer (or dishwasher).
                    I do one load of washing per week on average. I am horsey so can't use the economy wash - it just doesn't clean the stuff! I don't iron.
                    I hardly eat meat.
                    I do the same as Nicos and steal the horse's carrots, but he doesn't get any at this time of year - he's fat enough! Happy Hoof feed doesn't have the same appeal!
                    Heating at the moment is timed for 1 hr before I have a shower (water only).
                    Can't cycle to work AND field. I travel 10 miles to and from work, plus 8 miles each way to horses. If it didn't kill me, I'd spend my whole day cycling! Keeping them closer to home is actually more expensive, as it's all livery yards and no fields to rent. There is no public transport to the field (in a remote village - nearest bus route would be about 40 mins walk away).
                    I clean using vinegar and bicarb where possible and don't use bleach. I don't wear make-up to work (or out unless it's a special occasion) and I buy clothes and books from charity shops!

Sounds virtuous? Well, I live in one of the most expensive villages in the country. There's no such thing as Lidl or Aldi. Even the charity shops don't sell books for less than £1.50-£2 and some of their prices are more than Primark!!

I despair, I really do! If I had my way I'd live in the woods. There's a man round here that does that - he does reek a bit, though!

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
                      I'm not sure I can cut down much more, so I'm worried about rising prices of everything....I am horsey !
                      If things get really tough for you, you could always treat your horse the French way - medium rare
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ooh two sheds! That's mean!

Actually, he'd barely make more than a burger. He's only 12hh and the other one is 30 something, so probably a bit tough!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          When I buy a bag of carrots for the horse ( £1.50 for a sack full) I always bring home a carrier bag full for us .
                          They also sell 'human' carrots ( ie washed and straight as opposed to broken bits and mis-shapen ones) for less than £4 a sack.

Horse carrots are fine for us, so long as they've not been stored outside in the rain ( - they go mushy quite quickly)

Carrot soup made from lamb bones from the local butcher ( free) make a really cheap and healthy soup- all for the cost of an onion!!

Everyone like a bargain eh??
                          Reminds me of the story of me and the bairn! I says to the butcher " Can I have a a few bones for the dog please" and the bairn says" Oooh! Are we getting a dog daddy?"
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            If things get really tough for you, you could always treat your horse the French way - medium rare
                            And this coming from a veggie!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Our local supermarket gives away the brocolli stalks (that they thoughtfully provide a hacksaw to remove!!) for customer's rabbits. I have often been ready to claim said rabbit when at the checkout on days when I have stock in my mind.....sometimes even when it's just a shepherd's pie as no one notices when it is all grated or finely chopped in the meat mix!!

Comment

1. never buy new clothes such as jackets /shirts/ties/jerseys etc. Charity shops in Wilmslow and Alderley Edge (Man U footballers home) are v high class and good quality. M&S silk tie £1...
                                2. Bulk buy on offers. We ONLY EVER buy beans/toilet rolls/detergent/washingpowder/orange juice/butter/fishfingers etc when on offer... and then about 2-3 months at a time.
                                3. Pork is cheaper than beef.
                                4. Shop around for utilities and broadband.. Even with the same supplier . I ring Virgin/NTL every 3 months for the cheapest deal and get it applied retrospectively.
                                5. Run car without aircon on. Buy cheapest diesel. Do own maintenance on older car.
                                6.Thermostats on electric heaters - we only have one electric heater but it has a thermostat. As has hot water bioler with digital timer.
                                7. A new fleece is cheaper than raising heating thermostat by 1C
                                8.Home Bargains have prices on some items = 30% -50% of list (of not "off"). Birds custard powder 65p versus 87p. Cheap sweets and biscuits.
                                9. Shop carefully on line for car insurance. I cut mine £25 this year as cheap Saga deal. Use all the internet compare sites. Ditto home insurance.
                                10. Pay as you go mobile. For private use , contracts are very expensive.
                                11. Only only ever buy chocolate biccies and otehr luxuries when discounted.
                                12. I run. Running shoes (new) ebay half shop price. Sale running shorts £5 Bourne Sports versus full price £20..

and so on.

We reckon to save - and Mrs Madasafish keeps records - approx £75 a month or 20% on food bill through discounts from cheapest normal prices.

Easter eggs? Buy after Easter. They are a luxury.
                                Last edited by Madasafish; 29-04-2008, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X