Anyone know how to crochet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She's feeling the pressure now!

Quite happily sat next to me "practising" - she hasn't touched her vodka and coke for ages!! The ice has nearly melted.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HeyWayne; 19-04-2008, 09:18 PM.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

at hobbycraft they have free leaflets with all the basic stiches and pattern guidelines, you can get patterns from any haberdashery from 50p to £2.50 depending on pattern.
      Yo an' Bob
      Walk lightly on the earth
      take only what you need
      give all you can
      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

My Dutch grandmother used to crochet. There wasn't an item in the house without a doily or a chair without a crochet cushion and an antimacassar. The rest of us didn't really need to learn! I think Mrs Wayne may have too much time on her hands...Has she broken her leg then? and as for crocheting a support for her melons Herbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
          Assuming the bidding doesn't suddenly shoot up, I'd say that was a very good deal. I can only get on with metal hooks but plenty of people only like wooden ones. I think it would be a good 'see what suits you' buy.
          Won them at £7.60 in the end, add £5 p&p and I didn't think that was bad. So the fun begins....

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I learnt from a library book Wayne. It was invaluable for baby stuff. Even though I am a keen and fairly fast knitter, tinies can grow out of them faster than you can knit them. Crochet grows fast. The main problem for beginners is knowing when your row ends. It's too easy to make each row a bit smaller (or bigger!) so you end up producing not a square but something that narrows towards the top (or bottom!)
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Herbie View Post
              When Lady Wayne gets the hang of it, perhaps she could crochet some nets for holding melons in the greenhouse

She could make a fortune, only wish I knew how it was done
              Before anyone laughs too hard - my mum made me some melon nets years ago and I am still using them. She is a demon crocheter, I can do a bit but because I am left handed, following patterns can be a trial.

I have found some great patterns on here Lion Brand Yarn Company and follow the links for the free patterns. It's an American brand site, but full of good stuff.
              Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Hi - I've recently started crochet and Love it! However, do be sure to check out whether the instructions you are following are UK or US. They use slightly different terminology and it can be confusing. eg in US they call a stitch single crochet, whereas in the UK it is double crochet... good luck!
                We bought the lad from Sunny Spain, He gets the ball, he scores again, Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number nine.

Comment

Thanks for all the hints and tips peoples, just waiting for the kit to arrive then she's off!

I'll get LadyWayne to post (though I'll probably end up doing it) photos as she progresses.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I learned for first tiem a year go started with beani ehats ,slouch beret,then a poncho for myself , ajumper and a waistcoat.

An enjoyable hobby.

Here is a good crochet web site link crochetville.org

Enjoy.

ps forgot to say i so enjoy using bamboo crochet hooks so light and comfortable to use.
                    Last edited by Scotkat; 06-09-2008, 07:01 PM.

Comment

ImageShack - Hosting :: img4687ir2.jpg

Happy to pass in any patterns I have

Comment

I learned entirely from an old booklet (probably still available in some woolshops) with a title like "stitchcraft", from one of the companies which produces yarns. It covered knitting in 3 different methods, crochet, and a weird combination of the 2 which seems to make stronger 'cloth' than either (I think it called that "Tunisian Crochet"). I lost the book ages ago unfortunately, which is why I can't recall the name properly. There were quite a lot of patterns in the book, and I also found the pattern and got going on a wonderful fashion jumper after a few months practice (I never took to doing squares). Infortunately that was when we had the house fire, and I lost all the 'kit'. I've done crochet on and off since, but patterns are few and far between. There should be a few in the 'books' in a wool shop....
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I don't crochet but love anything crafty. I came across this;
                          Crochet Pattern Central - Free, Online Crochet Pattern Directory
                          I found it all a bit scary though (dancing 'girls' on the home page nearly stopped me in my tracks!)

Happy nesting Lady Wayne!
                          Tx

Comment

This site is good too;
                            Craftster - Crafting Community & Forums: Crafts, Patterns, Projects & Craft Ideas
                            It even has it's own forums for different crafts along with pictures of other peoples work.
                            Tx

Comment

Well, that was short lived - LadyWayne hasn't picked up the wool/crochet stuff since!

We live in hope, maybe she'll start again....

What would Vedder do?

Comment

See thats what happens when we don't check the dates properly on posts!!!!
                                Tx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X