No announcement yet.

3 Pages. 3!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just don't offer helpful advise/ideas.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
      I just don't offer helpful advise/ideas.
      Wayne, you may not offer advice, but you keep us all entertained.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I don't have advice to give nor humour - hum must be something I can offer - ideas on a postcard please
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          Must say, I agree with TwoSheds. The Vine really should be a place for discussion and tips, not really basic advice. Seed packets come with instructions on the back, so maybe this should be followed before asking questions on the Vine?
          But everyone has to start somewhere and it can sometimes be better to ask those who you know can give you a straightforward answer
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I guess there is also something to be said for the semi-noobs imparting on some of the knowledge that they have learned.

ie: someone asks a simple/basic question, it gives the people like me the opportunity to appear semi-knowledged and pass on advice.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Wayne, you may not offer advice, but you keep us all entertained.
              Bit like a court jester? aka fool.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
                But everyone has to start somewhere and it can sometimes be better to ask those who you know can give you a straightforward answer
                But why don't they do a search first Perhaps the mods could put a "sticky at the top of each forum advising how to search. I also don't give advice if someone else has given what I consider the correct information. I also don't see the point in people saying "I cant help on this but some one will be along soon who can" I don't read several of the forum as they don't interest me like the green house one No greenhouse. No chickens so that's out to, etc.

I sound a right grumpy old man don't I
                It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

Surely all the questions HAVE been answered. It just takes a whils to look through the old threads and surely the answer will be there. Also, as someone else said, go to the library and select some garden books or even buy our Grow Your Own mag which will tell you all you need to know about sowing, growing and what jobs you should be doing every month. There is also a wealrh of gatden books for sale on ebay or from Amazon.
                  When i started gardening years ago i read every book i could find from the library or second hand shops and they really helped.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                    When i started gardening years ago i read every book i could find from the library or second hand shops and they really helped.
                    Me too, but some people today want to be spoon-fed
                    I wouldn't agree that all the questions have been answered in other threads; sometimes new problems crop up, new ways to do things, new varieties etc etc. Viva la Grapevine x

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpadragon View Post
                      I don't read several of the forum as they don't interest me like the green house one No greenhouse. No chickens so that's out to, etc.

I sound a right grumpy old man don't I
                      No you don't Gramps, I don't read the chuck stuff as I have no chucks and so on.

I belong to a couple of business forums, one of which I was there at the start of it - it was easy to read everything then - now it is totally impossible unless I were to become a full-time forumer.

Some above have said 'I don't want to be selective' - I don't see how it is possible to not be, unless 'you' are a very quick reader, which I'm not.

One such business forum has 'mentors' to show newbies how to get the best out of the site via search, asking in the correct place etc - maybe that would work here?
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

I like Grandpadragon's idea of a 'sticky thread' for the use of the search button.

I've been looking at a few other sites and some of them seem quite tricky to find your way through to start with- this one is very simply set up and not at all off-putting!

Some sites don't appear to have a search facility , so it's worth pointing out.

Its a bit of a wobbly line isn't it between encouraging 'newbies' to join in and chat to us (instead of 'lurking'), and reading up on our past threads and not contributing !

Sometimes I have time on my hands ( well avoiding domestic chores actually!!!) and I'm happy to google about a bit to see if I can help with an answer. I suppose the original poster of that particular question could have done that without bothering to interact, but then that would have been my loss as I wouldn't have picked up so many extra gardening/nature bits of information.
                        And that's how we all benefit indirectly.
                        Last edited by Nicos; 08-04-2008, 07:38 AM.
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Sadly many of the sticky threads are not read at all. Members are always posting in the Growing Techniques Board and yet there is a sticky telling everyone what it is for and that their post will immediately be moderated. I dont think anyone reads it!

So I don't think a sticky is the way forward. What is - ? - I have no idea!

Except perhaps answer the questions ..........
                          ~
                          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I tried! But only 10 people read this:
                            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rly_10688.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                              I remember the time (and I've only been here a year!) when I could read all the posts. I now browse and choose. I probably miss some good stuff but I can't keep up. It's great to see the vine expanding but it's a shame when sometimes the most apprpriate answer is "What did it say on the packet?"
                              Totally agree Flummery. Whilst being happy to help newbies I do object to being expected to reply to basic questions which are answered on the back of the seed packet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X