Burnt waste??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt waste??

My brother has an absolutely huge garden (he's a vicar living in a rectory hence loads of ground!) so i'm always being roped in to help him manage it. We were over there last weekend burning brambles and any stray bits of tree branches that been blown off by our lovely weather-I just wondered if we could use any of the remants for anything be it compost bin or veg patches?
    "I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde."
    Dolly Parton.

Ash is very good for the garden - mix it into your compost in small amounts or sprinkle it around woody herbaceous plants and trees as a top-dressing.

I used to have a wood-burning stove and had loads of the stuff. My onions and garlic did very well on it, as I recall.
    Resistance is fertile

Comment

Thanx Paul, will it a go!
      "I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde."
      Dolly Parton.

Comment

Ash around plants (quite a thick layer) also works as a slug deterrent - they don't like crawling over it.

Comment

I should add that only wood or plant ash is ok - not the residue from a coal fire or burnt rubbish (such as plastic). You knew that though, I'm guessing
          Resistance is fertile

Comment

Yes well we've only got literally garden waste that was in the wrong place and tidied up a few bushes, didn't want to get a skip as too pricey and too much to go in!! So thanx for the info saved a packet and hopefully the garden will gain
            Dolly Parton.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X