Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is February actually January?

bear with me - silly question alert

February issue of GYO mag came out today - soooo my question is, is that actually covering what we should be doing in February or does it cover what we are/should be doing now, as in January jobs?

On a silly question scale of 1 to 10 I'd give that 9&3/4 - but I'm really not sure
    aka
    Suzie

I think the idea is to give you time to prepare. The advice in the Mag is actually for February - lots of publications do this. Also, you do need to take account of local conditions. What is right for where you live will certainly not apply to the North of Scotland, for example. Read, enjoy, and pick out the best bits that apply to you and your growing conditions.

Comment

cheers RL - best I go get the January edition out and check what I should be doing now
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
        bear with me - silly question alert

February issue of GYO mag came out today - soooo my question is, is that actually covering what we should be doing in February or does it cover what we are/should be doing now, as in January jobs?

On a silly question scale of 1 to 10 I'd give that 9&3/4 - but I'm really not sure
        Hello Piskieinboots and happy new year to you and everybody else.....
        may I give a stupid answer to your question... I presume that all the magazines are prepared for release at least one month before, not to mention newspapers which are ready the day before, especially the weekend ones...in the early 1980 we could get sunday newspapers on saturday evening.....so really we were reading whatever happened before and nothing new.....on the brighter side regarding GYO we are reading whatever should happen in the near future and a bit of the past.... and if we grapevines really we like something almost new.....we have got this great forum!!!!
        Regards
        Don Vincenzo

Comment

Just to let you know that Gardeners World Mag info relates to the Month that is printed on the cover and its the same month as its release. They made a big thing about it a year ago when they re-launched it.

For Example the Feb issue out has info, advice etc... for the month of Feb. But as we all grow our own we would not be interested in this mag.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I have a subscription for GW, and I love the fact that the advice given is for the month it comes out. I wish they'd all do that - as someone who grows in a northerly area, it can get very confusing when they're telling you in April to plant out stuff, which really means May, but up here is actually June...

Comment

I'm a GW subscriber also, first time round it was bought as a Christmas present two years ago, I have kept it going ever since. Tis very different from GYO but then variety is the key to life, the universe and everything
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

First time for ages I havn't been able to get GYO on the day it is due out will have to have another look tomorrow.

Comment

Piskie. Just one question darling? Given that you bought TWO copies of January GYO magazine because you're a: a) senior b) blonde c) senior blonde....

Silly Question Scale One to A Million, which of the two copies have you decided to look at?

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                    Silly Question Scale One to A Million, which of the two copies have you decided to look at?
                    Why, the newest one of course darlink

So back to my question - I need to refer to December's issue to check what I am doing now and January's issue to decide what I might be doing in a couple weeks AND the new one out (Feb issue) to decide what I am doing at Easter - right?
                    gawd...... see Suzie give Piskie a wet flannel
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

It is annoying to see "March" mags on the shelf in January, but it's to give maximum shelf-life. You will still buy a "March" mag up to the end of Feb ... if it said "February" they would have four weeks less shelf-life.

Did I say that right?

I still get caught out when I read GYO's latest issue, I think "everyone's planting tomatoes now, why aren't I?" then I realise they are just planning ahead for me.

I keep meaning to organise all our back issues so we can refer back to last year's February issue to see what's different/the same. Is anyone this organised, or do you just recycle the mag when you've read it?
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        I keep meaning to organise all our back issues so we can refer back to last year's February issue to see what's different/the same. Is anyone this organised, or do you just recycle the mag when you've read it?
                        Um, I try & be that organised, but in fact what I have is the leaning tower of pisa of magazines next to my bed, & when I try to find one, I have a magazine avalanche all over the floor, & the OH starts shouting about going to the tip...!!

Comment

I'm an annoyingly organised/tidy sort of gal - I have to be as my profession is a VA and organisation is my key selling point.

I noticed the binders for sale in the Feb issue (which is really March ) and thought 'superb idea' and shouted for cheque book to come hither.
                          aka
                          Suzie

Comment

Perhaps gardening magazines should come out mid-month for month ahead. That'll give enough time to plan, and if your area is 2 weeks ahead... but not too far ahead.
                            I wonder how the weekly bit-part series GYO in the 1970s came out - July week 1 - did that come out July Week 1 or sometime in June...?
                            My Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
                            Photo Album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/99039017@N00/

Comment

Ohh, I'm getting a headache reading this thread! I'm easily confused you know .....

So the advice we read in January, in the February issue, is for March?!?!
                              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X