No announcement yet.

Remember Seed Addiction?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been browsing the seed catalogues but I try not to spend too much on seed as I only have a small garden & 'my eyes are bigger than my belly' as we say round here. I've still got unopened packets that were free with magazines this year so am trying to be sensible & only get certain varieties which I really want to try.
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

*dances wildly*

I still have an excuse to buy more seeds and plants... have made space for a fruit bed type thing, so I already have raspberry canes on order, but I need to buy, oh, more strawberries, blackcurrants, rhubarb, blueberries, a new peach tree, a sweet almond tree....

And I have to buy more things for my herb bed *snigger*....

Only, don't tell Mr OWG yet, he doesn't know my plans, after all, I'm Head Gardener and he's only Lawn Supervisor and Heavy Lifter....

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
        *dances wildly*

I still have an excuse to buy more seeds and plants... have made space for a fruit bed type thing, so I already have raspberry canes on order, but I need to buy, oh, more strawberries, blackcurrants, rhubarb, blueberries, a new peach tree, a sweet almond tree....

And I have to buy more things for my herb bed *snigger*....

Only, don't tell Mr OWG yet, he doesn't know my plans, after all, I'm Head Gardener and he's only Lawn Supervisor and Heavy Lifter....
        YAY!! I forgot I need to stock the newly cleared herb bed, and buy strawberry plants!! I was feeling all gloomy, coz I hardly need any seeds, that's really cheered me up !!

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
          mine came to £107 might have to wait till after xmas, sigh...
          get the, as xmas prezzes to and from each outher
          Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
          Dobby

Comment

only £20 this year on seeds but £70 on raised bed wood so far ,and more to come.
            ---) CARL (----
            ILFRACOMBE
            NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

I also made a nice list of all the seeds i had for this year on the PC, I stopped at 68. Then went to a seed swap event.

I have loads of 'free' packets from magazines, and spares, I'm going to take then to a seed swap event in Jan. I bought most of next years seeds from Garden Centre Bargain Bin for 50p. Kept going back for more several weeks running. I was awful i hid in a corner with several trugs full of packets and went through everyone slowly so nobody could see me.

However I do need peas, carrots, potatos and onion sets, Ive also seen some new strawbs i want, and perhaps a greengage tree.

And the catalogues keep coming.

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
              I bought most of next years seeds from Garden Centre Bargain Bin for 50p. Kept going back for more several weeks running.
              I've heard of this bargain bin for 50p sale that are offered towards the end of year by GC, Woolworth etc but how long to go before the seeds expiry date. I ask because I was able to get seeds for 25p per packet but they expired in the year they were sold.
              Last edited by pigletwillie; 19-10-2007, 07:07 AM.
              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi all,
                I think part of my problem is that I'm still new at all this and want to try different varieties out, am settling down with some favourites like salad bowl lettuce but who knows what better seeds are out there. Then there is trying to grow through the season so different varieties for that, then I'd thought I'd do it all in one go so I could work out sowing and planting times as a handy reminder
                And OK, I just love buying seeds....
                Rev, no wardrobe, some seeds left but used most of them this year.
                OWG, think it's a bit late for the support group....
                Headfry - quite agree, a harmless habit (mostly)
                Lainey Lou, who would have guessed that you could dream about carrot seeds, but I find allotment planning in my head the ideal way to get to sleep.
                PW Seed saving, First I will get better at growing things, then I will get the seasonal sowing and cropping right THEN I will start in on seed saving. Although this year am growing onions from seed so haven't got onion sets on my list and have planted my own garlic and some of my own shallots so that's a start.
                Veg4681 - I tried the Wyevale bargain bin and their sale and of course, didn't have a list made, couldn't remember what varieties I wanted and how they would fit in the overall plan so perhaps next year I can keep my list, keep it marked up with what worked and then go and get the benefit of the sale.
                Luckily just had a birthday so two new cherry trees have been ordered for me, these would have bumped up my total even more.
                Sue

Comment

If you've only got a small plot, like me, try 'seeds by size'.A great way of spending less, but getting just what you need!
                  Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

Comment

I spent a lot on seeds in my first year, but am much more restrained now. I save my own french bean seeds (but still treat myself to a couple of new varieties each year) and potatoes (but will buy a bag from the pound shop again this year)

I have all my seeds in a 12 pocket folding folder thingy, sorted by month of sowing. Every month nearly, is packed full of seeds, so I don't really NEED anything more. I may treat myself to some red cabbage and red kale though, to satisfy my "coloured veg" fetish
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                      Hi all,
                      I think part of my problem is that I'm still new at all this and want to try different varieties out, am settling down with some favourites like salad bowl lettuce but who knows what better seeds are out there. Then there is trying to grow through the season so different varieties for that, then I'd thought I'd do it all in one go so I could work out sowing and planting times as a handy reminder
                      And OK, I just love buying seeds....
                      Rev, no wardrobe, some seeds left but used most of them this year.
                      OWG, think it's a bit late for the support group....
                      Headfry - quite agree, a harmless habit (mostly)
                      Lainey Lou, who would have guessed that you could dream about carrot seeds, but I find allotment planning in my head the ideal way to get to sleep.
                      PW Seed saving, First I will get better at growing things, then I will get the seasonal sowing and cropping right THEN I will start in on seed saving. Although this year am growing onions from seed so haven't got onion sets on my list and have planted my own garlic and some of my own shallots so that's a start.
                      Veg4681 - I tried the Wyevale bargain bin and their sale and of course, didn't have a list made, couldn't remember what varieties I wanted and how they would fit in the overall plan so perhaps next year I can keep my list, keep it marked up with what worked and then go and get the benefit of the sale.
                      Luckily just had a birthday so two new cherry trees have been ordered for me, these would have bumped up my total even more.
                      Sue
                      Doesn't matter if you are new or old Sue. Get a catalogue and you need to try new things Every year when the catalogues come through I go through them, write a list of what I need (want) with prices and end up horrified. I then go through the list again, cutting out what I already have, and am still horrified at the cost. I usually end up making do with what I've already got and buying bits and pieces locally. I only order from catalogues now if there's something I really want that I can't buy locally.

Comment

Rustylady
                        Perhaps I'll try your restraint next year... especially as another catalogue turned up today....
                        Sue

Comment

Make way for Mr Smug!!!
                          I don't get catalogues, not here at the right time.
                          Buy a few transplants in BG for pennies - 15p for really large, early toms: 30p d 10/20 eggplant.
                          A quick look around £1 shop and 99p shop in March and the occasional 50 pkts for about £15 from Roguelands.
                          My greatest outlay is stamps for seed swaps.

Phreddy

Comment

Originally posted by Phreddy View Post
                            My greatest outlay is stamps for seed swaps.

Phreddy
                            Speaking of which, I've sent you a pm Phreddy.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Ooooooh, don't talk to me about seeds he say's in a low quiet voice.
                              I bought a lot from T&M's when they where 1/2 price, and with what i already had, makes up a very large pile. Might have to dig the path up next to the plot to fit it all in
                              "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Have got my total down to £159, looking at the new seed catalogue from Tuckers I realised that T & M were more expensive than nearly everyone else and had less seeds per packet, so matched up varieties and moved the order and bingo - somewhat less of a daunting total.
                                Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X