Possible shortage of compost?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible shortage of compost?

It seems that, since household garden waste collections are suspended, the compost manufacturers have nothing to compost.
    Make sure you compost as much as you can as it may be as rare as hen's teeth soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-fife-52256556

A lot of people who don't normally grow things have started as well so extra demand also...
    Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Garden centres round here are full of it and they're all closed, so I can see it, just can't have any.

Comment

Didn’t you post recently about making your own compost VC? It was before the virus and I remember thinking I was spending way too much on the bought stuff and should read up on the post. Will have to search for it
        All at once I hear your voice
        And time just slips away
        Bonnie Raitt

Comment

This one? https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ost_99573.html
          Must read it myself!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            It seems that, since household garden waste collections are suspended, the compost manufacturers have nothing to compost.
            Make sure you compost as much as you can as it may be as rare as hen's teeth soon.

I know our local guy who does the green waste into compost has had his collections drastically reduced here too. Our council and at least 2 other have stopped their green waste collections. I have just this year started buying my compost from him direct approx 1500 litres at a time x
            Anything is possible with the right attitude, a hammer
            and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

Check your local farmers' coop. Ours is open and sells compost. You don't have to rock up in a tractor or a flatbed truck - they sell to me so they will probably sell to anyone.

Government ministers interpretation of the regulations is that anywhere that is open can sell anything they have in stock: there is no list of "essential" items.
              Last edited by quanglewangle; 12-04-2020, 05:25 PM.
              I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
              ∃

Comment

Have you seen this news article,I don’t know how this can happen,I didn’t think it would be an essential service & if the man can collect waste I don’t know why the council isn’t,people are paying for this? I think if you wanted to collect for neighbours to take to the plot,that must be allowed? Put a note through the door to say you’ll collect,add your phone number? I don’t know,you could make a massive compost heap if you had the space.

Comment

^^^ that's the link in my first post - that triggered this thread!

Comment

Cornwall council is still collecting garden waste. They closed the service to new subscriptions on 7th April but it's continuing as normal for existing subscribers.

My guess is they structure their services to allow for a massive peak in the summer and since that won't now be happening they will be cruising along with only the winter, resident, population to deal with.
                    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                    ∃

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      That’s the one, thank you kindly
                      All at once I hear your voice
                      And time just slips away
                      Bonnie Raitt

Comment

That’s really strange,sorry VC I don’t know happened there,I thought I read that last night but maybe I read it here earlier

Comment

Excellent information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9OhxKlrWwc
                          Nutter's Club member.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X