Horse Manure

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse Manure

Why is it so hard to find a home for it? We have a large trailer full of pure horse poo, no bedding, ready to tip for someone to compost but can't get anyone to take it away which is causing huge problems. such a valuable resource but no one wants it.

Originally posted by Buddyboo View Post
    Why is it so hard to find a home for it? We have a large trailer full of pure horse poo, no bedding, ready to tip for someone to compost but can't get anyone to take it away which is causing huge problems. such a valuable resource but no one wants it.
    Welcome to the vine, it would help if you told us your location. I am sure there are lots of grapes in your area that would love access to your valuable manure

Comment

A few years ago a couple called at our allotment. They said the same. We said we'd have it. 15 minutes later they reappeared with big non- tipping trailer. Some of it was years old and really rotted and even better it was all in bins and bags. It was amazing stuff. I just wish I'd taken their phone number.
      Find a local allotment site on a sunny afternoon (if you ever have one) and I'm sure you'll find somebody who wants it.

Comment

I’d also say try your local allotment.

We get our manure from one met-police country stables, they deliver for free to us as they are so keen to get rid, the committee just call them when we have almost used up the last lot or we would be drowning in it.
        A local tree surgeon drops his shredded trees as wood chip as well.

On our site we have made a concrete hard standing inside the gate so they can now get their trucks in year round without risking getting stuck and built big wooden corrals that they can tip straight into to make their lives, and ours easier.

It’s a win win, they get rid of their ‘waste’ and we get a good resource for free.

If you can find an self-managed allotment and are happy to deliver for free/minimal cost then you should have takers.

If you are trying to sell (self-managed allotments have very minimal budgets), or charge even minimal delivery to a council run allotment you will have problems (councils are notoriously difficult to get anything authorised from what I hear from people on council managed sites due to budget cuts).

Most stables bag it up in feed bags and leave by the gate for collection which seems to work as the bags are very strong and don’t tend to leak, those who have suitable vehicles tend to be passing them anyway so it’s a easy grab as you pass. Most areas have no shortage of folks giving it away so people don’t go out of their way to collect it.

Some places you have to be able to collect and bag it yourself - these are far, far less popular.

In our area, where we have large gardens to make use of manure most of the older folks around here wouldn’t be able to collect or bag it up that easily, a fair few people surprisingly don’t drive or own a car as they have moved out from London and commute in by train, and those who are young and fit don’t want to risk it leaking in the family car. Most big bags of compost now have small holes in them so they aren’t great to use and normal bin sacks are too thin so it’s a complete pain to do yourself as you have to find and buy suitable bags by which point you might as well wait until the stables put some more out all done for you! So if you are offering for people to come and bag themselves that could also be your issue.

Comment

What chemicls have you used? Are you aware of the aminopryalid issue?

It won't stop many places taking it, but it's a real hurdle.

But yes, alotmenteers aren't telepathic - unless you are putting the word out it's available, then it won't go.

If you have the space to rot it for one year, that would help too.

Comment

Horse manure is essential for my plot as its over-limed alkaline clay (so even more alkaline).

Manures better when it comes with bedding, doesn't go so aerobic as it settles.

The very best I've had is from a local "Pets corner" which is poo from lots of different animals & birds + bedding. The Champagne of manures.

Straight into daleks within a week its at 60 degress. After 4-6 weeks im growing on top of it (squashes & outdoor cuccumbers)

Last year my sun-facing beds were all effected (poisoned) by aminopryalid issue from very cheap "racing stable" manure. I realise now they were clearing stock...

Im hoping that the aminopryalid chemical has dissipated after a year... : Trouble is I still need a source of manure ? Now what with lockdown...
            Last edited by no_akira; 30-03-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Hi Buudyboo, I will have a load if you’re from Hull. I did have a 4x4 truck so used to pick some free stuff from down the road myself but I have an exec car now and there’s no way in the world I’m putting any in that.

Kind Regards..........Rob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X