Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 20/20 Vision for 2020 aka another nutty plan!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I with that I could be this organised! I will be keeping a close eye, you may be starting a new universal growing guide Same here, I also have the urge to start random things or do things that I have forgotten to when you and others post up what you are doing VC
    Last edited by chillithyme; 23-11-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Week 48 - Trial run!!

Week 48 starts tomorrow Monday Nov 25th.
      Divide 48 by 4 = 12 therefore its the 4th week of the 12th cycle.
      The 4th week of every cycle is Leaves (Remember? -Roots, Shoots, Fruits and Leaves).

On Mondays I sow seeds - so tomorrow I will sow Leaves - Salad leaves, rocket and Kale. Maybe spinach and purslane. All in the GH as the soil is too wet and cold.

Also, have a tidy up/weed of Bed 22

That's it - the plan for tomorrow.
      Tuesday, Clean chooks and check Fruit. Tidy bed 23
      Wednesday - weed somewhere different and Tidy bed 24
      Thursday - Thin and transplant seedlings and do summat with Herbs. May sow some more parsley and coriander. and Tidy bed 25
      Friday - is for Flowers - sow some "end of alphabet" Flower seeds (Wallflowers and Violas) and Tidy bed 26.
      Saturday - is catching up on jobs I've missed because of weather/commitments & Bed 27.
      Sunday - 1st December - Catch up, Bed 28 and sort seeds for the following week which is Roots.

Simple, isn't it!!
      There'll be a test next week.
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 24-11-2019, 11:31 PM. Reason: Got the Bed numbers wrong!! Dates don't matter!!

Comment

The weather smiled for me this morning and I got stuck into Bed 22 where the Vinca major/periwinkle is spreading like a plague, Its suckering into the path, creeping through the raspberries, hiding the brambles and dragging the hardy fuchsias down to ground level. Its so invasive that I couldn't find the path between Beds 22 and 17. Still a lot to rip up but that will have to wait for another dry spell.
        This afternoon, while it rained, I sowed (chucked) a load of Leaf seeds on the beds in GH No 1.
        Red Russian Kale
        Lettuces Winter Density and Valdor
        Rocket and Wild Rocket
        Spinach "Amazon"
        Rainbow chard
        Mispoona.

Who said there's nothing much to sow in November?

Lots of seeds sown 3/4 weeks ago have germinated - various salad leaves, radish, peas. Even a few tomatoes from a fallen fruit!! Self seeded lettuces also appearing.
        I'm a Happy little chicken.

Comment

Week 49 starts tomorrow - 2/12/20

Its Roots week so I will sow radish, beetroot and carrot in the GH tomorrow, Monday.
          Tidy Beds 1-7, one a day.
          Sow flowers whose names begin with A-G on Friday.
          I said it was simple!!

Comment

Nearly 2020!

I'm getting excited!! According to the VC Calendar 2020 starts on Monday with the 1st Roots week of 13. I'll be sowing radish, carrots and, turnips, either in buckets or the GH.

For the first time ever, I haven't bought a Diary as I only ever manage to write in it for a few weeks., I've a ring binder divided into 13 sections that tell me what to sow each cycle. I'll record what I've done in a notepad which will then be filed in the binder. That way, I won't feel guilty when I see blank diary pages.

Comment

Week 1 - Roots week

Today I sowed (aka chucked) a jar of old parsnip seeds, a jar of beetroot, some radish and a bag of carrot seeds onto the random seed patch. Grow free little seeds. See you in spring!
              Slightly more carefully, I've put some beetroot, carrot and turnip seeds to pre-germinate on damp kitchen roll in a Ferrero Rocher box.

You didn't really think I would do this "properly" did you?

Comment

Have you ever been proper VC?
                Another happy Nutter...

Comment

I most certainly hope not, HH.

Comment

Week 2 - Shoots and things with funny names week

Today, I'll sow onions, leeks and spring onions in modules.
                    Viability test some old allium and celery seeds in chocolate boxes.
                    Scatter some oriental seeds with funny names in the GH.

Its raining heavily so I shan't be doing anything outdoors. Don't like wet feathers.

Comment

Another thread added into my subscription as I know I will be entertained if somewhat bamboozled by your antics VC.
                      If I have worked it out, my lemon grass will be sowed the correct week if not the correct day. But hey I can argue Thursday herbday!

Good luck...
                      V.P.
                      The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Any Thursday is good for lemon grass.

Comment

Week 3 - Fruits 13/1/20

Sown some Early tomatoes on the 14th and Wizard Field beans on 19th with Calendula.
                          Delighted to say that some of the toms are already pushing their little leaves out of the compost. Two little leaves that look like clapping hands.

Well done little seeds

Tomorrow 20/1 is the start of Leaves week - kale, lettuce and other green stuff. Flowers with names beginning VWXYZ. Bit restrictive this one - but there's Violas, wallflowers and Zinnias so its not that bad really.
                          Last edited by veggiechicken; 25-01-2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Week 4 - Leaves 20/1/20

Sowed more Lettuces and kale in the GH
                            Spinach and chard in the newly cleared patchwork.

Week 5 - Roots 27/1/20

Picked a bucket of carrots and sowed some more, Also radishes in GH

Week 6 - Shoots 3/2/20

Picked leeks, cut off root bases and replanted in the perennialising leeks bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1118.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	2386262

Name:	100_1127.JPG
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	2386263

These are some from last year's roots.

Name:	100_1120.JPG
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	2386264

Comment

How big a leek bed do you have VC? That is is really interesting, and something I had not considered doing. Plus we still have leeks here to harvest so is feasible to try x
                              Anything is possible with the right attitude, a hammer
                              and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

Name:	100_1119.JPG
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	2386271

This is the conventional leek bed - grown from seed last year.

I take these to eat and replant the roots in an unconventional bed.

It all started back in the year of '17 when I discovered that leeks that are left to flower also form bulbs at their base, which Snadger told me are "King pods".

The story starts here https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1548195 and I've been replanting in the same patch of ground ever since.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X