A mean old bloke buys his first smartphone

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    I couldn't live without my phone! I don't have a computer in the house as I would sit and do work on it.
    I love an iPhone - camera is fab. It does everything I would need a computer for and more - except a large screen.
    My phone costs are less than a tenner a month - I've not got a house phone. I always use the mobile, but data use is very small as I would always log onto free wifi when out.
    Yes indeed - I'd have probably adopted the tech sooner, but I have fiber broadband on my landline and as I get no mobile signal at all at the cottage I need the landline anyway.

One thing that has been valuable for me on this thread is to have a rethink about a PAYG sim - as I'm on Vodafone now and they seems to offer a decent payg £10 bundle, I may well give that a punt first - there is a Vodafone shop in Ross (strangely) so I might have a womble in there one day and confuse the poor staff with my "I don't have a clue" questions - usually good for a smile.
    Last edited by nickdub; 21-11-2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Best piece of advice is to install the Whats App this works with WiFi and give you free messages and calls also.

Comment

Originally posted by Can the Man View Post
        Best piece of advice is to install the Whats App this works with WiFi and give you free messages and calls also.
        will do - thanks for the tip

Comment

Whats App is great you can send photos and videos as well.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Well done that man,i got that plan Nick,no bother at all,last month i saved over the £1,odd pennies other months,i even got a £10 amazon voucher for joining,sent out in the 2nd month,they regular in contact as to if you need a pop up,and when is renewed,i rarely use the internet out of home,good luck,watch out for virgin as they doing somat different with PAsygo.
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
              Well done that man,i got that plan Nick,no bother at all,last month i saved over the £1,odd pennies other months,i even got a £10 amazon voucher for joining,sent out in the 2nd month,they regular in contact as to if you need a pop up,and when is renewed,i rarely use the internet out of home,good luck,watch out for virgin as they doing somat different with PAsygo.
              Thanks Lottie, that seals it - I'll try the Vodafone shop - if I can't get any sense there I'll give the internet site a bash

Comment

Originally Posted by Can the Man
                Best piece of advice is to install the Whats App this works with WiFi and give you free messages …..
                will do - thanks for the tip
                Hahaha!
                I suggested that in the first reply, as have other replies in the thread - took you long enough to see it makes sense, didn't it?

|

Comment

Bought my first one about 3 or 4 months back. Then it sat around unused for 2 months. Eventually I went looking for a SIM. Ended up with the O2 Classic as it is PAYG and easy. Looked at monthly ones but I use it so little I decided to see how much use I would make of the PAYG.

Bought the Xiaomi Redmi, nice size. Cost me £64 from Gearbest - not sure if eBay or their own site.

Remember to find out how to stop data download if you haven't already and set to use your own home Wifi for anything. They can eat up money if they go and do a download.

Will say so far been good and does what I want, which is close to very little. Main use is if the car breaks down and a call to RAC.

Bought mine as banks, credit cards and others want to send me a code at times to complete payments. One was ringing me on the landline which is no real use if I was not sat at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                    Hahaha!
                    I suggested that in the first reply, as have other replies in the thread - took you long enough to see it makes sense, didn't it?

|

I never claim to be quick - but when I do sort stuff out in my head it sticks :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
                      Bought my first one about 3 or 4 months back. Then it sat around unused for 2 months. Eventually I went looking for a SIM. Ended up with the O2 Classic as it is PAYG and easy. Looked at monthly ones but I use it so little I decided to see how much use I would make of the PAYG.

Bought the Xiaomi Redmi, nice size. Cost me £64 from Gearbest - not sure if eBay or their own site.

Remember to find out how to stop data download if you haven't already and set to use your own home Wifi for anything. They can eat up money if they go and do a download.

Will say so far been good and does what I want, which is close to very little. Main use is if the car breaks down and a call to RAC.

Bought mine as banks, credit cards and others want to send me a code at times to complete payments. One was ringing me on the landline which is no real use if I was not sat at home.
                      Hi Kirk,
                      I reckon you and I are in more or less exactly the same place on this - I also have a problem with HSBC wanting to text me codes for debit card payments - but with no mobile signal here at all, that is a bit of a nuisance

Cheers Nick

Comment

Sounds similar. Nat West seem to want to give me a passcode for any/all internet access, credit card does similar at times and Amex appear to be doing the same now. No doubt something else will do similar.

Did want it for easier texts to a friend for when we met up in London - qwerty style keys are easier.

Looked at many then read of the Xiaomi and found the Redme, price was what I wanted also. Would have liked a little more memory but equally I will never use it. Actually quite impressed with the thing. It was a SIM free unlocked one.

Found in Preferences that I could say no data or whatever and it just connects to the internet via my home wifi.

Looked at GiffGaff SIM's initially then read that O2 (who owns GiffGaff) had this "Classic SIM". Person at O2 shop was very helpful. Even nicely gave me a reason to not purchase immediatly and go think about it.

Biggest problem is knowing the number. Seriously thinking of a more "custom" number from eBay. Just to be able to have a chance of remembering it. Seems they can be had for around £10.

Want a suitable simple case.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
                          Sounds similar. Nat West seem to want to give me a passcode for any/all internet access, credit card does similar at times and Amex appear to be doing the same now. No doubt something else will do similar.

Did want it for easier texts to a friend for when we met up in London - qwerty style keys are easier.

Looked at many then read of the Xiaomi and found the Redme, price was what I wanted also. Would have liked a little more memory but equally I will never use it. Actually quite impressed with the thing. It was a SIM free unlocked one.

Found in Preferences that I could say no data or whatever and it just connects to the internet via my home wifi.

Looked at GiffGaff SIM's initially then read that O2 (who owns GiffGaff) had this "Classic SIM". Person at O2 shop was very helpful. Even nicely gave me a reason to not purchase immediatly and go think about it.

Biggest problem is knowing the number. Seriously thinking of a more "custom" number from eBay. Just to be able to have a chance of remembering it. Seems they can be had for around £10.

Want a suitable simple case.
                          Utterly confused!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                            Utterly confused!!!!!
                            that's mobile phones for you - I'm thinking of getting an 8 year old too, who can follow me around a and show me how to work the damn thing :-)

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                              that's mobile phones for you - I'm thinking of getting an 8 year old too, who can follow me around a and show me how to work the damn thing :-)
                              13 year olds are the best. I had one around for a while, then she grew up and discovered boys!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X