No announcement yet.

'Olde Worlde' hardware shop

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread has just reminded me I had a flyer through the door for a local hardware shop I’ve never tried a few miles away, will go for a look round in search of old style atmosphere . We used to have a really good place called Hoods in Banbury but long gone, sadly.
    All at once I hear your voice
    And time just slips away
    Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Keep using it or it will die. My dad used to run one until the common approach was to pick his brains then go to Focus Do It All (remember them) a mile away where the "bread and butter" items were a little cheaper. People still came in for the things that they couldn't buy or had to buy more than they wanted (screws, odd lengths of wood etc.). He sold up in the early 80's. Its an Antique shop now and we all complain about the lack of decent knowledgeable shops.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
        Can you buy forkandles there, Snadge?
        Four candles, rubber plugs, sore tips,hoe's, hose , p's, foot pumps, washers, billhooks whatever you want.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

It used to be a joy to visit the area of Hunstanton and make a beeline for the village of Heacham. If you use Googlestreetmap and go to 72 High street you can view the shop of T.G Bradfield and sons currently, however it closed a couple of years ago. A proper aladins cave which went from hardware to cookware to art product to furniture etc. You even went upstairs to what was once the house on the end where furnishings wer laid out on display.

Sadly the youngsters are not generally inspired to make do and mend or DIY in general, instead they can get new on credit and live a dispoable lifestyle. One of the side effects is that all those stores that once were the heart of live in small towns are no longer needed and the interwebs has done for them in the main.

Comment

I don't think it's young people - these shops have been closing for years (as per above post from Mark Pelican). Anyone using that shop must be in their 50s now. What young people have is no money, a lack of knowledge on how to fix stuff, and dearth of second-hand places to buy repairable older stuff.

Agree they need to be used though- when they are gone, they are gone

Comment

Saw this and thought you might enjoy the "advert".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50658677

Comment

Seen it on the TV earlier on,bless him.
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Didn't think it would have made it to English TV, Lottie.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X