The sounds of summer

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sounds of summer

Just reading comments from Nicos on an other thread about rain hitting a window reminded her of childhood summer holidays, myself when out walking the dog in the rain and hearing the rain hitting my umbrella reminds me of my childhood when my brother and I spent our school summer holidays in a tent in the back garden it was nice to waken up to the sound of gentle rain hitting the canvas,even the air smelled different then so much cleaner, well at least till we found our socks but what sounds remind you if summer?
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Rary we camp a few times during the year and I love the going to sleep listening to the rain hitting the canvas
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

SWMBO likes the sound of the rain on our conservatory roof, reminds her of childhood caravan holidays(did it always rain when summer holidays were taken?).
      For me the sound that makes my heart sing is Peewits and Skylarks, I used to hear them at dawn going down to the canal fishing. Up here in Scotland we still have good numbers of both, the only sound I can't find at the moment is Snipe roding.

Comment

Not so much summer, but the promise of summer coming. Dawn chorus when the birds are returning and have started nesting.

Also my paternal grandmothers yard. We used to stay with her for the first week of our school summer holidays. She was very fond of her flowers and had a small but beautiful garden. Her yard was always freshly painted white and she had pots both on the ground and hanging up. Although there were other flowers in them I remember the geraniums most with soft summer rain which we had to run through to go to the outside loo.
        "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
        "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
        Oxfordshire

Comment

The distant sound of grass being cut. The sound of skylarks swooping overhead when you are lying on grass looking up at the sky. Sounds of summer from my childhood....
          Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Trying to get to sleep as a youngster hearing our blackbirds singing. That's summer!
            First up and last to bed...beautiful songs!
            Last edited by Nicos; 07-11-2019, 06:37 PM.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The icecream van doing its rounds...with the music getting louder... always sooo exciting!
              My favourite was an Oyster. Oyster shaped wafer (more of a scollop!)with the hinge dipped in chocolate and coconut...filled with vanilla ice cream...mmmm...
              Are there still ice-cream vans around these days?
              Last edited by Nicos; 07-11-2019, 06:42 PM.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The sounds of frogs hopping in the bushes and talking in their froggy voices

Comment

mmm ice-cream vans, they used to be a our schoolgates at the end of the school day. I hardly had ice-cream from the van, but the sound of it nearby was exciting.

Comment

The smell of hay, the sound of swallows flying high in good weather, low if we were due to get rain.

Rain hitting the corrugated plastic roof over the veranda in our summer cottage near the sea.

The rustle of necklaces made of sugary sweets.

The swooshing sound of sand being kicked about by our feet on the beach, the relentless but consisent crashing of the waves in the salty sea.

Mellbystrand is what the place is called... where the summers lasted forever
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I want to go to Mellbystrand!I’m sold

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        The icecream van doing its rounds...with the music getting louder... always sooo exciting!
                        My favourite was an Oyster. Oyster shaped wafer (more of a scollop!)with the hinge dipped in chocolate and coconut...filled with vanilla ice cream...mmmm...
                        Are there still ice-cream vans around these days?
                        Me too, I love the sound of the Wippy Man as he was known in Dublin, and it was a real treat to get a 99 ice cream cone with a flake and then get it topped with rasberry syrup

Comment

The sound of the combine harvester thrashing the wheat as me and my sister lay in bed.
                          Mam always insisted we were in our beds early.
                          We would complain that we weren't tired and she would say we need to rest after running about all day.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Ooo just googled it, be looks gorgeous can see why you have lovely memories

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X