Using the windowsills

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the windowsills

I just saw Mucklovers post yesterday on What I did today 2019 and was happy to see all her tomatoes on the windowsill. I'm glad it's not just me.
    For most of the year my window sills are used for varying allotment jobs, starting seeds off, ripening fruit etc. My window cleaner always makes a comment.
    I would really like to have decorative empty windowsills but I can't really see it happening for more than a few weeks a year for the foreseeable future. Spring is the worst time when I am waiting to move everything to the greenhouses.

I did think it would be interesting to see if anyone else is as bad as me and also see how the contents change from month to month.
    Here is this months selection (only two in use at the moment.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20191101_112526.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	2407676

Name:	20191101_110355.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	2407677

Name:	20191101_105839.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	2407678

Name:	20191101_105759.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	2407679

It's a good job my husband loves growing things as much as I do.

I asked the same question almost exactly 7 years ago - must be that time of year when windowsills come into play!!

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ill_68536.html

Comment

If only I had some!!!!! French windows have their window sills on the outside and the windows open inwards.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
        If only I had some!!!!! French windows have their window sills on the outside and the windows open inwards.
        Ah! But do you have better weather?

Comment

I've got basil and chilli peppers on my my bedroom window sills. with toms ripening on the kitchen ones.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I have 4 trays of peas chitting on cotton wool and some Jalapeno Fooled You pepper seeds drying ready for the Seed Circle.
            On the other windowsill is an orchid in flower, the mystery seeds I collected today and some greenishfings - tomatoes.

Comment

I don't tend to use the windowsills for ripening/drying stuff. Just leave it somewhere warm in the kitchen (or living room if I can get away with it).
              These tomatoes were quite green when I brought them in and they jut live on trays or big plates till needed. I've got some more in the greenhouse waiting to take their places.

Name:	toms.jpg
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	2385662

and these beans are on a corner of the kitchen table drying (till they feel quite hard where squashed). Again some more waiting to be podded somewhere dryish. Wouldn't do if the kitchen was a bit damp too often.

Name:	beans.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2385663

Comment

I don't have any proper windowsills other than three windows in the kitchen either. So I put furniture in the windows to hold all my trays when needed. For example, my bedroom has a massive bay window, so last year, I pulled the dressing table into the room and put a pasting table in the bay, then put the 1.3 meter tray in the opposite direction and managed to fit 120 chilli plants and a whole load of aubergines in there, and they stayed there until May lol
                When I have a few jobs for a joiner, I will get one in and ask them to add proper windowsills to at least the windows in the bays. I love window sills
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                  I've got basil and chilli peppers on my my bedroom window sills. with toms ripening on the kitchen ones.
                  Before I got the blow away my spare bedroom and laundry windowsills were always full of seedlings, as well as the kitchen and dining room ones.

Comment

I love windowsills too I can't manage without them I'm seriously impressed with the 120 plants fitting it without sills. I'd better get shifting some furniture, and if it so happens that they land near a windowsill then even better

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                    I don't have any proper windowsills other than three windows in the kitchen either. So I put furniture in the windows to hold all my trays when needed. For example, my bedroom has a massive bay window, so last year, I pulled the dressing table into the room and put a pasting table in the bay, then put the 1.3 meter tray in the opposite direction and managed to fit 120 chilli plants and a whole load of aubergines in there, and they stayed there until May lol
                    When I have a few jobs for a joiner, I will get one in and ask them to add proper windowsills to at least the windows in the bays. I love window sills

Comment

My kitchen windowsills are used to start seeds off and to grow herbs. I really miss the landing one of the cottage I brought my children up in. It was very deep and was the most fantastic place to propagate seeds.

Sideline- I have always had a fantasy of buying that house back. It was the first place I ever felt safe and at home in. It's in amidst fields and the views from the windows are amazing. It's so far out of town you would think it was safe but a developer has outline planning permission to surround it with an estate.
                      "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                      "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                      Oxfordshire

Comment

No plants in my house windows but have been known to have seedlings in my conservatory.
                        Also keep my tomato and pepper plants in the conservatory every year until its warm enough to move them to the greenhouse.
                        My daughter in law gave me a beautitions trolley with two shelves. I put the plants on this when the weather is really cold and wheel them indoor overnight when needs be.
                        Its south facing so catches the sun and holds the heat,

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...