Do you think the Vine has changed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think the Vine has changed?

I haven’t been on here much due to problems at home (which I was honest about) and because I think the Vine has changed.
    Now, this is my opinion and nobody else’s.

For me and I suspect many others the Vine was an extended family affair even though it probably wasn’t set up to be.

We all laughed, cried, encouraged and gentle suggested.

Growing content is as it’s always been fabulous but the ‘other’ side of being together in a hobby etc to me has diminished.

I saw Biker Mikes post on Beowulf and was itching to follow it on but is there a point?

I’m so thankful for all the help, advice and support I’ve had over the last few years.

I know what I think which will never become public knowledge but I wondered, probably for the last time what those who knew the Glorious Vine in its heyday thought.

I hope you and yours have long, happy, healthy and productive lives.

L

X
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

I'm not exactly clear what you are saying here, and not having been a member for long I don't have a past history of the vine to go on - are you saying things have become more impersonal, or something a bit different ?

Comment

Yep impersonational (sorry predictive had a meltdown) and less , less , less oh heck I don’t know caring?
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Lumpy Nostalgia Isn't what it used to be

I stopped coming here on a regular basis after I got a wrist slap for putting links to articles I had written on my blog when people asked a question and I had already addressed the issue in some depth. Apparently I have adverts on my blog, and admin were asked to have a whisper in my shell like, and I was asked not to link

There are a few links to products I have reviewed or own but I don't get paid for them, and the whole left panel of my Blog Journal is just a mass of links to site and articles that I have found useful and they are primarily for me but I know others will find then useful.

I pop in here every now and then and pipe up if I see someone or a subject matter I want to engage with, but I have found another go to place where we say good morning and it feels more like a community than here.

I have to say I miss Big Malley and his build and ideas and I keep an eye out for my cosmic twin Balders when I visit, and of course you. In the past I loved Christmas and the Gardeners rest but for some reason we seemed to have a couple of threads last year and it lost it's magic a little.

I will have to see what develops this year if anything.
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Click Here for my Diary and Blog
        Nutters Club Member

Comment

Nice to see you, Lumpy, and you know I think about you and wonder how you are, even when you're not lumping around on here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who keeps you close in their thoughts. xx

Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean either. Obviously, Grapes come and go and when they go they leave a little "memory" in their posts - some good and some not so good!. To be honest, I've been glad to see the back of some.

We all put our own spin on the Vine, because we're all different, live in different parts of the world and have a variety of interests. Its up to each Grape to decide how they participate..We're still one big family and always will be - so jump back in and don't be lonely.

Comment

There is a change on here, some things like the member of the month had to be abandoned by the mods as we were not getting the support we needed from the magazine. It would seem that forums are fast being replaced by facebook or Instagram etc, it's not just this one, some of my fishing and rugby forums are fading from their former glory, it seems that the younger generation just don't do forums these days, just us old crusties lol.

Comment

I also think it has changed since I joined nearly 8 years ago. It has always been a source of knowledge but it used to be more fun with more "characters". However I am of the older generation who grew up in a non P.C. world....maybe that's the reason I feel it has been sanitised.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Obviously, Grapes come and go and when they go they leave a little "memory" in their posts - some good and some not so good!. To be honest, I've been glad to see the back of some.
                Some friendly characters have disappeared, which I agree, is sad but luckily a few not-so-friendly ones have left as well (My opinion of course)
                For a few years I didn't bother coming in here much, after being told by one of the 'organic brigade' that everything I did was wrong on my plot, and I'd be better to give up than work in a way that lets me carry on gardening as well as I can, for as long as I can. That was very judgemental - not what you expect on a forum tbh.

Nowadays I find everybody is very supportive and still happily chatty

Comment

A lots to do with the time of year, there's not a lot of growing going on and that always effects postings. I'm sure it will be back to normal come spring.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

OK in for a penny so in for a pound.
                    The Mag - format predictive. Not appealing to younger growers. Same old same old.

The Grapevine which is what I actually care about.

It’s changes in my option and only mine are not a symptom of the oncoming winter but a reflection of what the mag has become.

We used to have Minir Rants - yes I know there were problems but........., member of the month - nobody needed or wanted a parcel of stuff. A big gold stat next to their name would have done. Likewise the VVS.

The magnificent Vine in my option is or is heading towards being just what ALL the other Forums are.

Ban me if you want but at least I care.

Comment

I’m a relative newbie on this forum, but I have been involved in other forums where we had great forums with super characters contributing and then you get some undesirable members who create a very uncomfortable situation I had a case to report 2 contributors for cyber bullying. But you have to bear in mind some people just decide to move on, a bit like human life, maybe a change of job, house move, new circle of friends. We all remember the characters whether good or bad, but we will always miss the good ones.
                      I don’t know you Lumpy, but I can sense the emotion in your posts and I gather you were a major contributor and had a lot of online friends maybe even met up with some of them, I would urge you not to dismiss the grapevine but maybe take a rest from it, just popping in every now and then to say hello and see how some of your old buddies are getting on and seeing how some of us newbies ( not necessarily younger) are getting on.

Comment

It has definitely changed. Much more impersonal. Peeps are less inclined to post about anything personal.
                        It is a gardening forum first and foremost but there is less lighthearted chat.
                        I suppose it all depends on what your expectations are as well.
                        There are a lot of peeps I miss but I still look forward to coming on here.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Lumpy, some of your observations are accurate, but as I said, sadly the support the moderators used to get from the magazine just dried up and was part of the reason that some of the moderators felt it was time to give it a rest. This forum is as good as it is because of the people that post on it, not because of any outside influence. The festive season will soon be upon us, then it's growing season again and the posts and questions will start to come in. We are still getting new members, so at the moment, the forum seems to be buoyant.

Comment

I had a long break from the Vine having last been quite active around 2009/10. There were some characters who I miss now (Two Sheds and Flummery especially) but I’m really glad to be back and I’ve only found friendliness and support and hadn’t noticed a major difference tbh. I use Facebook a fair bit but the Vine is gold compared to it imho... Facebook resources and info are much harder to find and it’s full of trolls
                            Last edited by muckdiva; 29-10-2019, 06:52 PM.
                            All at once I hear your voice
                            And time just slips away
                            Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I'm no longer a Mod so this is purely my opinion.

The content of the magazine is up to the Editorial team and the Vine is a separate entity. Their decision entirely. Anyone can make suggestions about content to the Editorial team if they wish.

The Vine cannot operate without the support of the magazine who fund and support the forum. Similarly, editing of Grapes' banners, be it MoM, Stars, gifts or changes in status cannot be done, except by the Mag's Admin team. Its not something that can be done by a Mod with a magic wand (or even a pointy stick). Life would have been a lot simpler if they could.

The Mod's are here to keep the Forum on track, stop spam and keep it clean and friendly. Its been said many times, but Mod's are unpaid volunteers, they can bend the ears of the Admin side but that's all.

Grapes are free to start whatever Threads they like (within the usual good conduct parameters) so, if anyone has strong feelings about something, start a thread. If unacceptable, it will be closed, we all know that by now.

I joined the Vine for gardening advice - although I have been known to stray into other areas. Its gardening that draws us together and, as long as I have something to garden, even if its a pot on a windowsill, I'll be here. I've looked at other forums but none appeal to me as the Vine does. Each to their own and anyone who doesn't like this forum is free to join another one. There's no charge for leaving!

Finally, I've made some good virtual friends through the Vine, even though we may never meet, I still regard them as friends - and you are one, Lumpy. So jump in again - we need our Creative Director!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X