No announcement yet.

What would you do

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with the majority here - dig, break up the bottom pan with a fork, throw in a ton of fallen leaves, mix with the soil and leave over Winter.
    He-Pep!

Comment

How about finding someone who keeps pigs and wouldn't mind boarding them out for a few weeks ?

Comment

I have made a start today, got the strimmer out and went over the ground as I want to get that part out the way while the boys are in school, as said I used a strimmer then raked over the ground, I have left all the raked material around the edge to hopefully keep the boys off the nettles and thistles, while doing this work it raised my admiration for previous generations who cleared virgin ground without the use of machinery they no doubt would have used a scythe rather than a power strimmer I have tried to post some photos of before and after but for some reason they are not loading
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Here are some photos showing how the ground looked before I started and how it is now
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191011_172053_hdr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	2385552

Name:	IMG_20191011_172059_hdr.jpg
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	2385553

Name:	IMG_20191011_172005_hdr.jpg
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	2385554Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191011_172106_hdr.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	2385555Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191011_172111_hdr.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	2385556
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

I think I'd be trying to afford hiring a mini digger. That looks like a tough take on.

Comment

Tut, tut AP such thoughts I am now thinking, will I spend some money to save me having to dig or will I keep it in my pocket (actually security box) and just dig it when the boy's are there to help, decisions, decisions, though I am finding one of the choices getting quite dominant I wonder if you could guess what one it is

Comment

Was out on the field today and raked over an area that I will use as a flower bed

Name:	IMG_20191013_132952_hdr.jpg
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	2385566
                That was it before I started raking

Name:	IMG_20191013_135935_hdr.jpg
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	2385567
                and this was after doesn't look much different but actually had removed quite a lot of couch grass

Comment

And here are some photos of the first digging, it's good looking soil but at the moment it is too wet to break up easily, but I will turn it over ant the boy's can go over it with a weed wand to burn any roots showing

Name:	IMG_20191013_144352_hdr.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	2385568
                  but once it's a bit drier they can break it up and remove weed roots

Comment

Good afternoon, had three of the boy's down today and also had a change of tactics on Sunday I turned the turf upside down but today I decided to remove the turf, used what I removed to make a compost heapClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191016_125841_hdr.jpg
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	2385588

and one of the boy's loosened the soil with an airiator? it's something I have had for several years and ideal for the boy's to use, Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191016_125825_hdr.jpg
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	2385589

Comment

The other two,were busy also, as one raked up all the grass that I had cut

Name:	IMG_20191016_143513_hdr.jpg
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	2385590

While the other covered the area that was turned over on Sunday with lots f newspaper and cardboard then put some turf on top to hold it in place, the rest of the turf I remove I will use it as edging for a raised bedClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191016_125829_hdr.jpg
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	2385591

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X