No announcement yet.

Wartime gardening

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some great Youtube videos about Wartime gardening - like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyBzndu7cIw

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      I have my doubts when you see shopping baskets full of ready made meals in the queues for the tills.
      I always think that regularly using ready meals is for lazy people (not to say that most of us don't use them from time to time, when needs must!) and truly lazy people don't grow their own, too much effort involved.
      On a brighter note, I think that any shortages of green stuff will be short lived, and I have grown more winter stuff this year, leeks, cabbage, broccoli and swede, in case the family need them.

Comment

! can identify with not buying any veg just now,i go round to look and see whats there,then out comes my chest with pride as i look and grin to myself,hahaha i have them growing and some in the freezer for later,missed anything NO,just pleased with myself.
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

The RHS have a Wartime Garden plan for a forthcomng exhibition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wartimeplan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	2385362

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
            ! can identify with not buying any veg just now,i go round to look and see whats there,then out comes my chest with pride as i look and grin to myself,hahaha i have them growing and some in the freezer for later,missed anything NO,just pleased with myself.
            I'm the same the only fresh veg/fruit in my trolley are onion, bananas and pineapples later on i'll be buying potatoes because I don't have to space to grow all we eat.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

When I was working I had a ready meal for quickness every lunch time (and sometime for my 10 o clock as well) as you soon get sick of sarnies.

Since retirement I have not had a single ready meal this year.

Although my plot is probably not as productive as a wartime garden, I am happy with what I have managed to grow and the freshness of produce is paramount to me.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I now understand why onions were offered as raffle prizes during the war. Only grew a couple of dozen, but lost 3 to rot in storage, and after a batch of chutney this morning, only have 2 left before I have to start buying veg again!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  There are some great Youtube videos about Wartime gardening - like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyBzndu7cIw
                  Thanks for the link VG, downloaded to watch later:-)
                  Cheers

Danny

Comment

Fantastic Stuff!
                    I love these old wartime pictures.
                    I wonder how Charles Dowding's "no dig" methods would fit in with the dig emphasis of that era
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
                      Thanks for the link VG, downloaded to watch later:-)
                      Watched it yesterday, brilliant
                      Cheers

Danny

Comment

sigpic
                        . .......Man Vs Slug
                        Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                        Nutters Club Member

Comment

Here is another Dig For Victory film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Gs7Vik75k
                          sigpic
                          . .......Man Vs Slug
                          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                          Nutters Club Member

Comment

^^^^ Glad to see you back Cad I was wondering where you were
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X