Onions, Onions, everywhere

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions, Onions, everywhere

I knew that we'd maybe planted a few more onions than we might need, but didn't realise how many until this weekend.
    We got four large hessian mailing bags worth, and still have a few rows still green, so left those in a while longer.
    My greenhouse is now full of onions drying out.

Congratulations. I'm green with envy. You're sure to find a use for them. Onion soup, onion tart, stuffed onions...

I haven't grown any this year, but most years I grow anything between 500 and 600 over the course of the year. I'm feeling bereft...

Comment

Well done, but keep an eye on them while they're drying- some of mine were sound when I lifted them but have started to get a grey mould. So I'm making sure that I take those into the kitchen and will use them first, to avoid it spreading...

Comment

I'm glad to hear your onions are doing well keat63.
        My Japanese onions which I lifted a while ago are staying firm. They are stored in a Te*sco delivery box outdoors.
        My spring planted onions are still in the ground although the tops have fallen over and are starting to yellow. I have had a tremendous year for onions with red torpedo onions still bulking up.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If you've got too many plait some and give them away at Christmas. You could always push some holly, mistletoe etc into the plait and tie the top with festive ribbon.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
            If you've got too many plait some and give them away at Christmas. You could always push some holly, mistletoe etc into the plait and tie the top with festive ribbon.
            Great idea

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X