Would you go back

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    and linoleum of the bedroom floor. I remember my dad spreading his ww 2 army great coat on the bed to keep us warm. We sometimes even got a brick warmed up in the oven and wrapped in a towel inside the covers as well. We thought these things were normal.
    My Nan used to give me a big ceramic jug/pot? Filed with hot water wrapped in a towel.....it was so hot it would scald your leg and then 3 hours later you couldn't move the bloody freezing thing away I certainly don't wish to go back to that!
    But I love lino....

Comment

Stone hot water bottle - or the stoneware pop bottles! I still have some.

Comment

I reckon it'd be a mixed bag. On the one hand it'd be good to revisit old haunts that hold fond memories but that are now closed down, knocked down, or been otherwise reinvented. As an 80's child, I'm still old enough to be aware of a sizeable difference in the amount of traffic on the roads, people on the streets, the ratio of concrete to green spaces, then vs now. It'd be nice to be able to go into shops and only see seasonal food stuffs on the shelves, unlike now where everything pretty much is available year round (to my mind the convenience comes totally at the expense of the taste). The icing on the cake would be to immerse in the pivotal movements within the music scene at that time; the golden age of dance music as acid house gave way to rave culture, such a creative time and positive vibe, and me a tad too young to properly get on board that scene as it was emerging.
        Then again, would I really want to go back and be reminded of all my poor decisions and missed opportunities in life? hmm...

Comment

They were so heavy they would make a dip in the bed

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post
            I As an 80's child, I'm still old enough

Rary's an 80s child too - that's his age.

Comment

You beat me to it I was going to say the same about you
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

The icing on the cake would be to immerse in the pivotal movements within the music scene at that time; the golden age of dance music as acid house gave way to rave culture, such a creative time and positive vibe, and me a tad too young to properly get on board that scene as it was emerging.
                Then again, would I really want to go back and be reminded of all my poor decisions and missed opportunities in life? hmm...
                Are you not a bit late for the golden age of dance music, rock and roll was finished by then
                And what is acid house and rave culture, and put your poor decisions and missed opportunities down as lessons of life, hindsight is a great thing, but you don't have it when making the decisions
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

And what is acid house and rave culture,
                  Ummm... hmm. Well, very broadly , early house music is an electronic sound, which came about through the DJ's of the day (70's/80's) taking synthesizers already prominently in use on mainstream pop music, and playing about with them behind the scenes, with the focus more on drum beats and rhythms, than on recreating traditional instruments in the main. The style can be characterised by repetitive beats and more pronounced basslines(?) laced with some different sound effects, and samples taken from pop songs and whatever was charting at the time.
                  House has it's roots in disco and soul music. It's kind of the forerunner to pretty much every electronic dance music sub genre that exists today - and there are A LOT

Acid house is one such offshoot... That and the rave that would follow proved more than just musical eras...

Apologies if I've gone a little technical, can't really explain it without giving the history as well. That said, I'm falling asleep here Rary so will have to revisit this later

In a nutshell, imagine you're at traffic lights, it's night time and pouring with rain, you can see the lights including from other vehicles reflecting off every surface, and the traffic lights themselves are malfunctioning and flashing intermittently or at an alarming rate. You're half way there

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Stone hot water bottle - or the stoneware pop bottles! I still have some.
                    Snap. I still have my Nannies ones along with the witney blankets (the not quite so itchy and prettier wool blankets) and a American patchwork blanket. All of which would be on the bed at the same time when I stayed with her. I loved it.

I miss proper milk in a bottle that actually had a fat content. Taking a bottle of gold top to school to make butter. Try doing that with supermarket milk

Highlight as a child - being able to take back the corona empties to get the money. I did have modern living but that is what I remember enjoying.
                    Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 07-12-2018, 04:16 PM. Reason: I think it was too early

Comment

Oh, I remover corona pop!!! Dandelion and burdock or cream Soda!!! Yum!

Comment

Clippy mats and home made Christmas streamers. Pop man, insurance man, bread man ,butcher man, fruit man, rag and bone man, scissor sharpener man, ice cream man,coal man...…………………….there was a man for everything with his van or cart!

People didn't have cars, they had a man instead!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ummm... hmm. Well, very broadly , early house music is an electronic sound, which came about through the DJ's of the day (70's/80's) taking synthesizers already prominently in use on mainstream pop music, and playing about with them behind the scenes, with the focus more on drum beats and rhythms, than on recreating traditional instruments in the main. The style can be characterised by repetitive beats and more pronounced basslines(?)
                          That said, I'm falling asleep here Rary so will have to revisit
                          That was music, I always thought it was interference on my wireless, and switched it off
                          As for falling asleep, you youngsters (myself included) can't stick the pace set by the old folk like VC and Co.

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                          Highlight as a child - being able to take back the corona empties to get the money. I did have modern living but that is what I remember enjoying.
                          I have a load of those bottles in the garage, waiting for them to start repaying the deposit

Comment

Erm......nope because knowing my luck a repeat could be even worse.
                            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Is it just me but are reminiscences not as good as they once were?

Ah good old Victorian values - lets send the little ones to work in the factories and the old uns to the poorhouse.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Only rary can reminiscence back to Victorian days.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X