Keeping Bees

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Bees

Does anyone know of a particularly friendly breed of bee's to keep in an urban garden?

My Dad has always gone on about wanting to keep bees and now won't because of my young son. I remember reading about a breed of bee that were particulary docile and better for keeping if you have children. I think they were called 'red' something or others

Anyone know what I'm waffling on about or had any experience keeping bees with young children?
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Shortie there is a link to a good site for identifying different bees in the thread Can't Do Without It by Smallblueplanet.
    [

Comment

Hi LJ - not sure you can 'keep' bumblebees as such, but there are various beekeeping sites out there - just google it!

Keeping Bumble bees link mostly English on a German site - check out the bumblebee video on page 3

There are nest boxes for bumblebees (notoriously unsuccessful) and also for mason bees (usually successful) but they are not 'kept' like honeybees.

Red Mason Bee link

follow link to Oxford Bee Co.
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 23-04-2006, 05:50 PM.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Oh by the way - its a 'safe' video LJ!!!

Comment

Cheers SBP, Red Mason Bees were the ones, I think you can buy nests to them... I'll take a look now!
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Homes for bees link or you can easily make your own - just get some blocks of wood (ie fence posts?) and drill differing sized holes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X