pumpkin illumination

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pumpkin illumination

I usually sacrifice a pumpkin to Halloween and carve out the usual face.
    I used to put in a candle (tea light) to illuminate.
    This smelt awful and generally ruined the pumpkin and it ended up on the compost heap.
    Of late I now use a bike rear light.
    One of those you buy in the pound shops.
    For example
    My Cycle 5 Led Back Bike Light

On the flash setting it will last ages and gives the required eerie effect.
    When Halloween is over you can the use the light on your bike and make soup from the pumpkin.

Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

I grew up carving swedes for Halloween...the smell of baked/charred swede is part of the moment for me!
    Having carved a pumpkin or two recently, I know what you mean about wasting a pumpkin -I was surprised how quickly they shrank and collapsed with just the heat of one nightlight never mind 2or3 !

Interesting idea Jimmy!
    Last edited by Nicos; 25-09-2018, 10:35 AM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yes when I was a youngster it was always swedes, smelt even worse than pumpkins.
      Only of late has it been pumpkins !
      Jimmy

Comment

Well, it was always traditionally yellow turnips (swedes) in the North, Scotland and Ireland. Settlers from these places in the American Colonies found that the pumpkin was easier to carve.

I used to use drills, hammers and chisels to carve out the neeps and the smell of the wax, smoke and slowly cooking turnip is still evocative of Halloween.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I can see how that would have advantages, but isn't it a bit of a problem having a large pumpkin attached to to your bike ?

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
            I can see how that would have advantages, but isn't it a bit of a problem having a large pumpkin attached to to your bike ?
            Shouldn't be a problem

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

^^^^ splurts tea all over screen!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                Of late I now use a bike rear light.
                On the flash setting it will last ages and gives the required eerie effect.
                When Halloween is over you can the use the light on your bike and make soup from the pumpkin.Jimmy
                I have grown the pumpkins, does this mean I have to go and buy a bike now

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                I grew up carving swedes for Halloween...the smell of baked/charred swede is part of the moment for me!
                Having carved a pumpkin or two recently, I know what you mean about wasting a pumpkin -I was surprised how quickly they shrank and collapsed with just the heat of one nightlight never mind 2or3 !

Interesting idea Jimmy!
                Yes Nicos, the power of smell can quickly take you back to your childhood sadly some of us go further back than others

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                Well, it was always traditionally yellow turnips (swedes) in the North, Scotland and Ireland. Settlers from these places in the American Colonies found that the pumpkin was easier to carve.

I used to use drills, hammers and chisels to carve out the neeps and the smell of the wax, smoke and slowly cooking turnip is still evocative of Halloween.
                Now I need to go and find out what evocative means
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                  Now I need to go and find out what evocative means
                  evocative, is that not of evacuation !

Oops was that a joke, tut tut.
                  Jimmy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X