• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Childhood sweethearts.

-sniff-

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Childhood sweethearts, well could have been and in any case his story could be true even if only in parts, he may have got PTSD. MMT I admire your faith in human nature
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Mousetrousers View Post
        Well if that's the case he was damned good at it.
        They are,practice makes perpect,i never give to them,a niece in the past has got them a sarni or a drink,but no money,better donating to the leagal head office.
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I was only guessing at his age as it was hard to tell. He could have been 55 or even a bit more. In any case I only gave him £2 and a roll-up part way through our chat, but if I hadn't got an appointment to keep I'd have taken him into a café and bought him a hot meal. He may have been an alkie or a druggie and maybe had PTSD as well, but the thing is he really was in a bad state, just wanted to keep talking as if he had something to get out of his system, shook my hand several times, and kept saying thank you. Any decent person who goes down that road for whatever reason needs compassion and a big MT hug, both of which cost nothing.
          I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

Miss MT, you're a winner.

My concern about the story was him getting evicted from his home because the tenancy was in his wife's name and she died. Having worked in a local authority housing department, I think this part extremely unlikely not to say impossible. It is possible the council may have encouraged him to move into a smaller home, but they would not have evicted him and made him homeless.

I've been hit by sob stories that are obviously fabrications. Sadly by young foreigners here trying to get money out of the kind and charitable locals. And I didn't give to people that I used to see in Barcelona week in, week out sitting in doorways with a bowl in front of them.

That said, people by and large don't opt for the indigent lifestyle if they don't have to. Maybe in this case, the man wasn't really in the state he claimed to be. But compassion is free, like you say, and two pounds and a roll-up isn't expensive. I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt if possible. It's better for the soul.

Comment

The important thing here is that you felt you could help someone who you believed to be in need.
              Too many people ignore the destitute when a bit of compassion goes a long way.

Who knows if he was genuine or not...but you assessed the situation and felt he needed help.
              You were there-we weren't.
              Well done.
              If he was having you on then shame on him.

I admire people who offer their services for free to the homeless..like the hairdressers who cut hair so they look more presentable at a job interview..or help out at soup kitchens, or invite people to join them for Xmas dinner (yep...I said the C word again) or help pay vet's fees for their 4legged companions.

None of us know what could fall upon our family or friends -for whatever reason. I certainly wouldn't like to sleep rough in the summer never mind the dead of winter.

You did what you felt was the right thing.
              Well done.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

He could have been 55 or even a bit more. In any case I only gave him £2 and a roll-up part way through our chat, but if I hadn't got an appointment to keep I'd have taken him into a café and bought him a hot meal. He may have been an alkie or a druggie and maybe had PTSD as well, but the thing is he really was in a bad state, Any decent person who goes down that road for whatever reason needs compassion
                Fortunately I don't experience anything like that where I stay but when I see folk like that I think there is someone's son or daughter, who,can this go on in a country that is supposed to be civilised, I fact how can there be such a gap between rich and poor, I will need to stop before I get too angry
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I was conned in a similar way a while ago. What you have to remember is that if he could make £2.00 every ten minutes that puts him well above minimum wage, and no tax!

My con consisted of an old lady in a scruffy mac and a large handbag knocking at my door and giving me sob story about how she had been cleaning for her brother who was away on holiday and had inadvedantly locked her purse inside his house.

She said she had to get a £2.00 metro journey home.The tears were flowing so I brought her in made her a cup of tea and sent her on her way with the £2.00 fare which she said she would return the following day. (Didn,t happen) I think she must have had an onion in the bag to force the tears and also a change of clothes. I mentioned to the OH that I had either done a good turn or had been conned.

About a fortnight later there was an article in the local paper warning people about a little old lady con artist who was going door to door. She was also bettering the minimum wage and should have been a member of RADA as her acting was superb!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I appreciate all your comments whether for or against him. Snadgers - our talk lasted about 20 minutes but whether he spent less time with others I just don't know. You may be right in what you say, but going over what he said, the way he behaved, and after weighing-up all the pros and cons, both my instinct and my heart tells me he was a lost and lonely person who needed a bit of company and maybe that was the only way he could get it.

Comment

I appreciate all your comments whether for or against him. Snadgers - our talk lasted about 20 minutes but whether he spent less time with others I just don't know. You may be right in what you say, but going over what he said, the way he behaved, and after weighing-up all the pros and cons, both my instinct and my heart tells me he was a lost and lonely person who needed a bit of company and maybe that was the only way he could get it.
                      You don't need to justify your actions MM. If you feel you did a good deed, just feel good about it inside.

I felt good about what I had done until I read the news article. Even then I thought "For a couple of quid I have learned one of life's lessons cheaply, not to take everyone at face value"

Good on you for being a decent member of the human race.
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thank you MMT.
                        Six years ago our lovely next door neighbour was evicted from a Housing Association house because her husband had run off with his daughter in law (its gory so don’t ask).
                        As he was the only name on the tenancy her residence didn’t count.

I always stop a talk to the people in Lincoln. Obviously, some are cons but others are just people needing a hand. I never give money but always give food. The last time it was pie and chips plus bread rolls and a drink from the chippie 25 yards away.

Their is a very well known man who has a ‘pitch’ outside a famous shop on the High Street. I always tell them to speak to the most amazing man I’ve ever met about what they need.

Thank you Richie for selling your Big Issue, being in pain and helping those that come to you.
                        A real humanitarian.

X
                        Last edited by Lumpy; 09-09-2018, 04:01 PM.
                        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I had cause to visit Leicester a couple of years ago. My youngest son and I had a walk about at around 9pm+ and at that time you can see the real homeless, they look dirty and cold, carry thier meagre possessions and are huddled in doorways for shelter/sleep. They tend to politly but quitely ask for the price of a cup of tea as you walk past rather than up front begging confidently in your face. At that point it is easier to get them a pizza and coffee and ensure the eat properly.
                          Too many people look for the easy con. I have two brothers that are ex squaddies and am very au fait with the situation they could face.
                          I am blessed to live in a nice small market town where not too much happens on the streets.

Comment

I agree ESB. I had a random thought reading this thread, has anyone on this forum been or know/known someone who is homeless. I was for 4 days only. That was a nasty experience and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
                            "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                            "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                            Oxfordshire

Comment

That's just the thing. It was 9.30am when I met him. He was quietly-spoken, polite, and started to shy away from me when I offered him a cig. Thank you all for your help and kind comments.

Comment

My OH was homeless for 18 months when his Dad married his new wife and then moved 100's of miles away. Going with them was not on the cards. He has told me some of what happened but I suspect not all. And, thats why I stop, talk, access and feed if I can.

There is an old hotel opposite the railway station and its been empty for years. Richie made the point of why can the rooms be made into a hostel? I know most homeless have 'issues' but surely a concertive approach by councils and charities could mean access to drug advisors, the AA, medical care, Social Services, Military charities, housing etc if access was available all within one location.
                                I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X