Cooking Swede

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
    swede is versatile,and freezes ok,but cut up smaller as has been said,as it takes a little longer to cook otherwise,this has me thinking what it would be like as a chip,maybe part cook in the mic,roll in a little oil,then open freeze before bagging up,
    It does take a lot longer to roast, as wedges, than potatoes do - so par-boiling (par-cooking) is deffo the way to go.

Comment

Microwave them whole, without peeling.
      Haven't tried it myself - but, next time I will

https://youtu.be/P7bwVGcCl74

Comment

Although I like mashed Swede on it's own, I do prefer it mashed in with the tatties............Carrots, Turnip & Parsnip can also be treat the same way.........just adds a bit of variety to bog standard mash.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

My favourite is swede and carrot mashed with butter, but just mashed swede is fine too.

Comment

Singing swede

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3zt1gDgf0U

Comment

I'll be in the minority but I just like it cut into chunks and steamed with carrot. I love veggies and their natural tastes and don't want that diluted with a load of butter or similar. Also only steam gently so it wouldn't be soft enough to mash and I like texture.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I've done the microwave whole, but found it faffy to get out.

My top tip would be that if you boil it, after draining return it to the pan on a low heat for a minute or two, or even do the mashing over the heat - it helps to dry it out so you don't get a very sloppy mash.

Personally I find peeling, cutting into small chunks and microwaving preserves the flavour even more than steaming. It was a revelation to us the first time we tried it.

Have fun! I like a good swede.

Comment

I'm so looking forward to growing and cooking next year, thanks all
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                  Nutters Club Member

Comment

We like them mashed with a little olive oil...OH also pipes them into walnut whip shapes and when cooled freezes them...straight from the freezer to a baking tray gas mark 6...30 minutes later....scrumptious

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
                      We like them mashed with a little olive oil...OH also pipes them into walnut whip shapes and when cooled freezes them...straight from the freezer to a baking tray gas mark 6...30 minutes later....scrumptious
                      That actually made me retch a bit . The thought of veg so pulped that you can pipe it is my idea of hell, seems like baby food to me but as I said in my previous post I know I'm in the minority (don't like butter or cream in my tatties either and just like to crush cooked potatoes with a fork and only moisten with gravy)

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X