No announcement yet.

How do you make bread like you buy.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have a bread maker, get yourself a copy of the book I suggested. Good housekeeping recipes work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
      If you have a bread maker, get yourself a copy of the book I suggested. Good housekeeping recipes work.
      Depends on the bread maker - mine is fab (Panasonic) and is used 2 or 3 times a week using a simple 50 / 50 white / granary flour and never have a failure. Always add a bit of olive oil, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar plus loads of seedy bits. Always buy decent quality of flour though. Other people I've known have had bread makers which, no matter what the owners do, still produce bricks.

I don't think it tastes like supermarket bread though as I find that plastic, more like the stuff you buy in a decent bakery.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I use my breadmaker just for the kneading (arthritic joints nowadays!) that way I control the rise and the cooking, not the machine, but then I'm retired and have the time to keep an eye on it.

Just finding a recipe that is to your taste, can be the difficult bit, I think, as can be seen from all the different recipes posted here. Salt? Sugar? Honey? Milk? Seeds? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Depends on the bread maker - mine is fab (Panasonic) ....
          Other people I've known have had bread makers which, no matter what the owners do, still produce bricks.
          We used to have a breadmaker - can't remember what type - & it always turned out like a brick no matter what.

I need to get back in the habit of making bread - using the kitchenaid dough hook attachment to do the kneading u always got good results.
          Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Some flour is described as "strong". There is also "very strong". Has anyone found much difference apart from price?
            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I'm lucky, firstly I have a Panasonic Breadmaker and then, I get a huge bag of wholemeal flour for £2 from Paul the baker on his way home every couple of weeks
              Mind you, it's been playing up lately and the paddle keeps getting stuck. Going to try using it just for the kneading and then bake in the oven
              Nannys make memories

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post

I can recommend using a machine for those not into baking. It only takes 5-10mins to assemble the ingredients and switch it on.

Yup can only agree with that. I can't knead dough, my hands just don't like doing it, so throwing stuff in a breadmaker is easy and simple. Took me a few minutes to weigh the ingredients for pizza dough and throw them in!

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
                  Some flour is described as "strong". There is also "very strong". Has anyone found much difference apart from price?
                  I've tried a few flours, some not as successful as others - but soon settled on Allinson Strong White Flour. I've never felt the need to try the more expensive very strong bakers flour tbh

Comment

Green yeast packet/tin not the yellow one. I think that's the right way round. My first bread maker disasters were diagnosed by my friend John (who makes excellent bread) as he asked what colour packet yeast I'd used.

Comment

I use fresh yeast from the local corn merchant but if you've got a Tesco near you can get it for free just ask at the bakery counter.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

still a novice

Hi, I also use a bread maker but only to prepare the dough and then take it out and form it by hand: I can bake it in a loaf pan or use a brotform or freehand. I really did not like the bread baked in the maker. But the dough I can have ready for the morning or when I get home from work.

One thing I learned is don't add too much flour. The natural inclination is that the dough feels wet, so you add more flour. This makes a dense hard loaf. Riachard Bertinet suggested using a plastic dough scraper to start working the dough and this works great as your hands are not covered in sticky dough so you don't grab the flour shaker.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                          I use fresh yeast from the local corn merchant but if you've got a Tesco near you can get it for free just ask at the bakery counter.
                          doesn't work here! They said too many people were asking........

Comment

Booths sell it ask for 25ps worth.
                            Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

I'm late to the dance but this site worked for me,

The Formula for Great Dough | Homemade Bread | Recipes

Basically 63% weight of the flour should be water. I'd go for less salt than it suggests.

I overproofed once and it collapsed in oven, but otherwise no jawbreakers.
                              Last edited by Squingy; 30-05-2018, 03:15 PM.
                              https://beingbears.wordpress.com

Comment

I use this method
                                https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2013/...asics-updated/
                                (if you use fine salt, use a lot less than the stated amount)

Their olive oil bread recipe makes the most fantastic pizza dough...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X