X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the Vine's search because I like a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      I've ordered my three hamper baskets, sellophane,ribbon and bow and shredded filling.
      All I need now is a few home made novelties.

They have to be cheap and easy to make. I will have a bottle of non alcoholic ginger wine for each and probably some gooseberry and elderflower jam and blackcurrant plus strawberry jam which I can use.
      The rest will have to be made or bought. Another drink of some description would be useful. Fudge seems popular is it easy to make?

I await your ideas with interest.
      Erm..... compost.
      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

A carrot?
        Hay?
        A wheel?
        One of those tunnel things?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          A carrot?
          Hay?
          A wheel?
          One of those tunnel things?
          Cuddly toy,table,radio, clock thingy,cuddly toy..........no we've said cuddly toy!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Why would you give a radio to a hamster?

Comment

Why would you give a radio to a hamster?
              Same reason you'd give it a table and a clock! And its a Hamper not a flaming hamster...............you say I'm losing the plot.sheesh!
              Last edited by Snadger; 17-11-2016, 08:35 PM.
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You're right, Snadge. It would need a table to put the clock and radio on, lucky little hamster
                Maybe you could give it to your sister, since you've forgotten to make her a hamper

Comment

You're right, Snadge. It would need a table to put the clock and radio on, lucky little hamster
                  Maybe you could give it to your sister, since you've forgotten to make her a hamper
                  Her dog would think its Crimbo had come early!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

What about making a big square seasonal cake but before you ice it,cut it into four sections,one for you & write seasonal messages on them that would be delicious I could eat it now

Comment

How long does home made fudge keep. Without sell by dates I'm useless!

Thought about making flavoured fudges.............chilli flavour perhaps!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Fudge can be frozen for quite a while (months) Wrap it in greased-proof paper then silver foil and freeze.

I have found a recipe for key lime fudge that I was going to have a go at - hang on, I'll see if I can find the recipe again..
                        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

... found it!
                          Key Lime Fudge
                          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Fudge is incredibly easy to make, Snadge.

Gently heat 1lb sugar, (it doesn't matter what sort, but brown sugar gives a deeper flavour and richer colour), and 2 ounces butter in half a pint of full fat milk, stirring all the time, and without letting it boil, until all the sugar has dissolved and it doesn't appear "gritty".

Turn up the heat and boil rapidly until it reaches 240F, stirring occasionally so it doesn't catch on the bottom of the pan. And keep an eye on it at first as it can boil over the top of the pan at this stage.

At 240F, remove from the heat and pour into a cold, heat-proof container - I just pour it into another saucepan. Leave to cool until the surface wrinkles lightly if you push a wooden spoon through the mixture, 10 - 15 minutes. At this point add any flavours, dried fruit, nuts etc.

Then, none of this beating rubbish, using a wooden spoon, stir with a figure of eight motion until the mixture starts to go grainy and thicken, then pour into a shallow greased tin, mark into squares, and leave to set. This is the only tricky part - stirring enough for the fudge to set but not so long that it sets before you get it out of the pan.

When set, turn out, cut into squares, and leave on a baking wire for at least 12, and preferably 24 hours for the outsides to firm and dry.

For a richer flavour, use 1/4 pt evaporated milk, 1/4 pt water, (or even 1/2 pt cream) instead of the milk.

This makes a soft, smooth creamy fudge. Mmmmmm......
                            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                              Fudge is incredibly easy to make, Snadge.

Gently heat 1lb sugar, (it doesn't matter what sort, but brown sugar gives a deeper flavour and richer colour), and 2 ounces butter in half a pint of full fat milk, stirring all the time, and without letting it boil, until all the sugar has dissolved and it doesn't appear "gritty".

Turn up the heat and boil rapidly until it reaches 240F, stirring occasionally so it doesn't catch on the bottom of the pan. And keep an eye on it at first as it can boil over the top of the pan at this stage.

At 240F, remove from the heat and pour into a cold, heat-proof container - I just pour it into another saucepan. Leave to cool until the surface wrinkles lightly if you push a wooden spoon through the mixture, 10 - 15 minutes. At this point add any flavours, dried fruit, nuts etc.

Then, none of this beating rubbish, using a wooden spoon, stir with a figure of eight motion until the mixture starts to go grainy and thicken, then pour into a shallow greased tin, mark into squares, and leave to set. This is the only tricky part - stirring enough for the fudge to set but not so long that it sets before you get it out of the pan.

When set, turn out, cut into squares, and leave on a baking wire for at least 12, and preferably 24 hours for the outsides to firm and dry.

For a richer flavour, use 1/4 pt evaporated milk, 1/4 pt water, (or even 1/2 pt cream) instead of the milk.

This makes a soft, smooth creamy fudge. Mmmmmm......
                              Made double the amount and it seemed to work ok. Problem is it won't keep until Crimbo.
                              Ah well, never mind, I'll just have to eat it and make a second batch!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

What about some chutney or relish? Should be nicely matured by Christmas :-)

If you're feeling adventurous, maybe some homemade crackers to go with the chutney and a bit of cheese? but you might be wise to make these nearer the time as they won't keep as long!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X