Help please with 'Frozen' cake

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glitter is always better than pink!

Really want to see the end result. If you have room in the fridge (ha!) you could make the cake 2 days in advance and fill & cover with the buttercream. That will seal the cake and you have 2 evenings...Not as long as Scarlet's fruit cake admittedly.
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
      If you have room in the fridge (ha!) you could make the cake 2 days in advance and fill & cover with the buttercream.
      If you are going to make a "vanilla cake" ....Keep it in the fridge until you cover with the icing. It's always wise to work on a very cold cake! Best cover with gananche if you can rather than butter cream, gives a better finish and the cake will stay fresh for longer.
      Prior to baking - make all decorations and ice boards.
      Day 1. Bake, as soon as its cooled down wrap in cling film and fridge overnight.
      Day 2. Cut, fill with jam/buttercream, and cut to shape. Chill again. Gananche or (butter cream) outside. Fridge.
      Day 2 (or 3)cover with Icing and decorate.
      Last edited by Scarlet; 10-09-2016, 12:15 AM.

Comment

I am always getting requests for birthday cakes and I am not the best at icing but I am getting better.

I would make a vanilla cake with a white chocolate buttercream or vanilla buttercream several weeks in advance.
        Cover with some of the buttercream to stop crumbs getting in the icing. Freeze it. This would give me time to concentrate on the icing.

I have a white chocolate buttercream recipe if you want it.

Then I would check pinterest and youtube for ideas for making sugar paste figures, the snowman bloke, I don't know what he is called.

There are some really good step by step instructions and if you can get some sugar paste and colourings you can make the figures at your leisure and keep them in a box until you are ready to ice the cake.

I would get some plunger snowflake cutters too as they are really easy to use.

If you have made a Victoria sponge type cake you will be OK to ice the cake several days before it is needed. The icing will keep the cake moist. The rainbow wedding cake I made was still moist and good to eat 2 weeks after the wedding.

I would colour some fondant icing pale blue and decorate with white snowflakes and white snowballs and then arrange the figures that you have made on the top. Moulding icing is a doddle to use like plasticine.

If you don't want to make the figures with fondant icing or you aren't happy with the results, there are a
        I will help if you get a silicone mat for rolling out the icing and a little icing smoother.

If you don't want to make models from fondant icing or are not happy with the results then if you could look on the net for frozen models. There are loads out there.

I would be quite happy to get a Frozen cake request from my Granddaughter but she is Thomas the Tank engine mad and the thought of that makes me shake in my shoes! Perhaps as she is 14 months she may grow out of it.

Comment

TY all. I think I dreamt about 'go cakes' last night I have watched that many videos, looked at pics and checked icing recipes

Please don't panic at me asking such as basic question but.....what is your buttercream icing recipe? mine is always on the supersoft messy side.

I love the idea of a separate tray bake maybe even buns (sorry cupcakes - am I the only one that calls them buns ) . She hasn't got a party but she wants her friends at preschool to have some and that does take a lot of the awkward faffing out.

As for decorating I will have to do it in one day. I can bake the cakes before hand and bung 'em in the freezer. I have said about the cake out loud twice now and both times she has wanted to go make it so she musn't know when I am doing it Nor must I google whilst she is about as apparently she thinks her sister should have a Hello Kitty cake

As much as I want it to be perfect I am not too fussed as I know as long as it is Mummys choc. cake, it has blue icing or sorts, glitter and figures she will love it.

I did settle on the cake below but that has all changed in my mind again

Attached Files

Comment

TY Mrs Bee. I would love your white choc buttercream recipe please

Comment

I think the cup cakes are a brilliant idea to share with her pre school friends I did that for the children at Louisa's rhyme time group.

And you can get lovely cup cake/bun cases.

White chocolate buttercream recipe;
              250g white chocolate
              350 unsalted butter
              350 icing sugar
              Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water and allow to cool slightly.
              Beat butter and icing sugar until white and fluffy.
              Add the chocolate and beat to combine. If it is a bit too soft, stick it in the fridge to firm up.

I make it the day before, leave it in the fridge overnight and then leave it at room temperature until soft enough to use or beat it until soft enough to use.

It makes quite a lot so you could use it to crumb coat the cake. freeze it, then take the cake out and cover the cake completely with the icing and use it instead of fondant icing. It is easier to work, tastes nicer, it easier to get things to stick too and freezes well.

I used this to do butterfly cakes to take to Louisa's rhyme group and it stood up to the summer weather very well.
              Good luck and don't forget the pics for us all.
              X

Comment

I have had a quick look on Amazon and.......
                they have a set of plastic figures to go on the cake,
                some Frozen cake ribbons
                and various Frozen cake cases
                sets of snowflake plungers cutters, I have just got myself a couple of sets for Christmas.
                I would make the cupcakes, ice with a swirl of buttercream coloured pale blue and freeze.

Then make lots of fondant paste snowflakes, let them dry and then pack them in Tupperware boxes interleaved with baking parchment. The use them to top the cupcakes. A sprinkle of edible glitter is always good.

Do you have a Hobbycraft near you? They are very good for cake decorating supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
                  Then make lots of fondant paste snowflakes, let them dry and then pack them in Tupperware boxes interleaved with baking parchment.
                  I would advise against putting any icing decorations in sealed plastic/Tupperware boxes. All decorations can be wrapped loosely in kitchen roll and boxed in cardboard boxes - they can become a sticky mess if sealed up.

Comment

You want to make a stacked cake? you aren't being easy on yourself, the top cake will need supporting etc. So you'll need to buy extra boards and dowels etc. Get you shopping list ready and buy well in advance. It will save running around at the last minute.

Comment

Also Sainsburys have Frozen themed cake sprinkles which would make quicker and effective cup cake toppers.

Comment

Children are really unjudgemental it will look great! Whenever I do anything crafty I notice the odd bit that doesn't look right,but the overall end result with all the little extras you don't notice the imperfections & they can be covered with snowflakes etc
                        You could go freehand with the snowflakes like these~have you seen how they lift the nozzle up slightly to get the straight line.
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HcJkvdFZczI

Comment

Sorry to be a pain but does anyone have a choc. cake recipe that is suitable for decorating? Made my daughters fav choc cake yesterday only to be reminded how gunky it is. It really isn't a good choice for a birthday cake

Comment

Just use your plain cake mix,but substitute some flour for the cocoa powder,what i use

8 onz each of marge and white sugar,4 eggs,8 onz SRF & cocoa powder,wiegh out the flour,scoop out 3 cerial spoons and replace with 3 spoons of the cocoa powder,if you use to much cocoa the cake comes out to dry,i bung mine in the mixer and give it what for,or you could get a one that you decorate yourself form the likes of asda,
                            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

This is my go to cake suitable for icing...pretty much the same as Lottie's but all ingredients go in one tin, Cook slow for a dense, moist cake that holds well to decorating.

6inch round pan.
                              4 eggs
                              8 oz butter/marg (half and half works best for me)
                              8 oz caster Sugar
                              8 oz SR flour - sifted
                              2oz Cocoa powder
                              6tbs boiling water

Mix cocoa with water to form a paste - set aside to cool slightly.
                              Cream butter and sugar.
                              Add cocoa paste
                              Add eggs one at a time
                              Add flour with mixer on slow until barely combined.
                              Finish mix by hand to endure cake not over beaten.

Bake cake on 150 (or 140 fan oven) for 1hr 20mins.
                              Turn out once coolish(!) - wrap in cling and foil and fridge for at least 6hours before using (preferably overnight)

For a bigger tin increase cooking times. Or you can put 2/3 mix in one pan and 1/3 in the other. Cake is cut in 3..

For bigger (round tins) increase mix: (1 egg/2ozeach butter,sugar,flour - cocoa 1/2oz) hope that makes sense!
                              7inch tin 5eggs
                              8inch tin 6eggs

Comment

Remember to line pans well, sides and bottom. Also worth putting a small cup - I use a metal ramekin of water into the oven to create lots of steam. Refill if necessary with hot water.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X