X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, follow the guide on water bath method and checking for seal here:
    Making your First Preserve

Comment

Do you mean the ones with the spring closure or the screw top kilner jars?

Ignore me - both types are covered in Scarlet's link
      Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 03-09-2016, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
        Do you mean the ones with the spring closure or the screw top kilner jars?

Ignore me - both types are covered in Scarlet's link
        ------ never mind Thelma - it's late ..........
        ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
        a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
        - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Bal View Post
          I slow roast the tomatoes with some olive oil whole garlic cloves and basil salt and pepper for about 2 to 3 hours on a low heat, pass through the mouli attachment on the food processor bag up and freeze. Just finished last years tomatoes. Ready for some new ones
          That's how I make mine but I prefer to bottle it in my pasteuriser so I'm not taking up freezer space.

Originally posted by SusieG View Post
          Ooh, OK - I'm not using that type of jar. Mine is the 'Kilner' type with the metal closure-type-thingy.....
          Will it be ok using this type......... I'm no expert on this preserve front ~ only ever pickled shallots before this year ..............?
          I do mine in the screw top Kilner type with the lids loose when pasteurising. Tighten while still hot then they make a hell of a pop. Always take the screw ring off after they've cooled and lift up by the plate to check they've sealed before storage. Never had one not but would re-pasteurise if I did. Then put the screw back on and put in the cupboard.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Alison where did you get your pasteuriser from? I'd quite like to have a go at home canning but aware of the botulism issue for non acidic food.
            Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
            Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
            Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
            Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Originally posted by ecudc View Post
              Alison where did you get your pasteuriser from? I'd quite like to have a go at home canning but aware of the botulism issue for non acidic food.
              Had it for a few years so can't remember but it might have been Tompress. You can get some really nice stainless ones but mines enamel. Seem to remember either Aldi or Lidl have basic ones sometimes too.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Mine's pretty simple.

Chop tomatoes in half, squeeze out seeds, bring to boil and cook for about 20 mins, half an hour, pass through a mouli until all you're left with is seeds and skins [ this will take longer than you think - you should end up with only skins and seeds, and towards the end of passing them through, what comes out the bottom will be really thick, this is what thickens up the sauce you've already passed through that's quite runny]
                Cook again to reduce it to howver much you like, put into sterilised jars, lid up, wait for pop, done.

My sister does it the way my cousin does, cooks the tomatoes as above but also adds in fried onions and absil, then jars.

I like mine as it can be used for anything then, sauces, soups, beef stews, a version of kvarma, whatever really.

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                  Cook again to reduce it to howver much you like, put into sterilised jars, lid up, wait for pop, done.

My sister does it the way my cousin does, cooks the tomatoes as above but also adds in fried onions and absil, then jars.
                  I wouldn't be at all happy storing something with no preservative added without bottling properly at the right controlled temps. Just heating up won't necessarily do it. I pasteurise but water bath works well without extra equipment. Although you are pulling a vacuum I'd still be cautious.

Comment

I bottled tomatoes in the water bath method but simple passata when cooled just gets put in sandwich bags frozen. I need to perfect my technique as the last lot went through a fine sieve and was rather thin as a result. I have invested in another courser device (anything for a new toy) and will have another bash tonight with the latest ripenings from the windowsill and greenhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      I wouldn't be at all happy storing something with no preservative added without bottling properly at the right controlled temps. Just heating up won't necessarily do it. I pasteurise but water bath works well without extra equipment. Although you are pulling a vacuum I'd still be cautious.

The jars are sterilised properly, the liquid is boiling when it goes in, as long as the seal is good, not a problem.
                      If they go, you can tell, because the liquid will not be liquid any more, or it will be fizzy on the tongue if that makes sense. I had a sealed one go a couple of years ago, but that was the lid seal not fixing properly.
                      I use mason/kilner jars with the separate lid and scew cap, so I buy new lids each year.

I just used one a few weeks ago that I bottled in 2014, still fine

But each to his own, it works for me and my devil may care attitude

Comment

I don't have any machinery,I put a little cross in the tomato bottoms & put them in a pan of boiling water,simmer for 5-10 minutes,sieve then plunge tomatoes into an ice cold bowl of water,remove skins,chop tomatoes in half & remove the seeds,put the tomato flesh into a blender with a clove of garlic,blitz or not if you like chunks,pour out any water & pour it all in a pan,boil for ages with a bit of pepper until it's thick,don't wear white! I froze some in ice cube trays,don't know how long it will last in the freezer though,a bit of vinegar helps preserve it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X