Mooli preserves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    Sounds good mothhawk. I might give it a try. I just wondered, what is the significance of the water and will it not dilute the vinegar making it less likely to store for long? Or is it added because the vinegar alone would make it too tart?
    Got it in one, Snadge. The vinegar needs to be diluted just that little bit, otherwise all you'd taste is vinegar, not veg. Both white wine and cider vinegar are generally more acidic than malt vinegar, I believe.

This pickle will keep at least 6 weeks, but I can't tell you if it keeps longer than that, 'cos it never lasts that long, it generally is all gone by week 2!

it is pleasantly mild as it has no spices in it, (mild enough to eat in a sandwich on it's own) although I suppose you could add chillis and peppercorns if you like.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Do you remember what variety they are Snadger??

Comment

Originally posted by Yasai View Post
        Do you remember what variety they are Snadger??
        It was Thompson & Morgan - Neptune that seems to work for me. As I said earlier, another type I tried bolted and was more like a white carrot!

I've actually got one plant from two years ago that I am seeding..........last time I checked seeds were forming but for the cost of a packet of seed and just about guaranteed growth I'm not too bothered about keeping seed. The flowers are quite pretty though and could be used in a flower arrangement like gypsophilla at a push!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for that, Snadger; will keep that in mind for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
            I make a carrot and celeriac pickle which is delicious. I'm making some this weekend ready for Christmas. I think it would adapt very well to mooli if the mooli is mild.

2lb celeriac (or your mooli), peeled and coarsely grated
            5 large carrots, coarsely grated
            2 sweet onions sliced into thin rings (I cut them in half too, so they are semi circles, not rings)
            2 and a half tablespoons salt
            2 tablespoons dill seeds (optional)
            finely grated rind and juice of one orange
            500ml white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
            150ml cold water
            1 tablespoon sugar

Mix the 3 veg together in a large non metal bowl, and sprinkle with the salt.
            Mix well and leave to stand for at least 2 hours.
            Rinse the veg thoroughly under cold running water to remove the salt, then drain well.
            Stir in the orange rind and dill if using, then pack loosely into sterilised jars.
            Put the orange juice, water, vinegar, and sugar into a non corrosive pan and bring to the boil.
            Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then skim well.
            Pour into the jars to cover the vegetables - use a skewer to jiggle out any air pockets, then seal.
            Ready to eat after one week.
            Well I've gone for it Mothhawk. I'm just waiting of the salt working. It pongs a bit but hopefully the rinsing of the salt off will stop it ponging. The vinegar mix also tastes very, very bitter!
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

All bottled up now. Very garish! You need sunglasses to look at it. Sod it, I'm going to sneak a taste tomorrow once its cooled!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If you have any left, this is also delicious and would work well with mooli:
                Pickled Turnips - David Lebovitz

Am making more this week for our Christmas sofa-picnics, and adding a little chilli for some extra spice.
                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                  If you have any left, this is also delicious and would work well with mooli:
                  Pickled Turnips - David Lebovitz

Am making more this week for our Christmas sofa-picnics, and adding a little chilli for some extra spice.
                  Thanks Sparrow.........I have loads of mooli left and will deffo give this a try!

I've just had a beef sandwich and tried some of mothhawks stuff I'd made on it. It really is nice and looks and tastes a bit like cheese savoury to me......Yum! I wish I'd made more now and may have to rustle up another batch for myself!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

They taste very much like the pickles you get in Wagamama...but slightly less salty.
                    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                      They taste very much like the pickles you get in Wagamama...but slightly less salty.
                      I had to google Wagamama sparrow, I thought you were winding me up! I must lead a sheltered life!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        I've just had a beef sandwich and tried some of mothhawks stuff I'd made on it. It really is nice and looks and tastes a bit like cheese savoury to me......Yum! I wish I'd made more now and may have to rustle up another batch for myself!....
                        Some folk have no patience

It'll taste much better this time next week, Snadge. You have to let all pickles mature before eating them, the vinegar 'calms down' and the flavours blend.
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

I had to goggle wagamama too.

Apparently there's one at Leicester Highcross. Just shows how often I go into town these days
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

My other half uses lots if mooli in her granny's kimchi recipe. It would take me days to describe how she makes it- and I'd probably get it wrong anyway!- but maybe a kimchi google recipe search might be worthwhile?

I have been meaning to document the recipe, too worried I won't do it justice though.

Comment

not for presereves .. but I can cook chunks of mooli with stews , like radish.. or can be used as a filling for flat breads though me lazy to try that

Edit: example og mooli paratha http://www.mykitchentweets.com/mooli-paratha/
                              Last edited by Elfeda; 20-12-2015, 02:47 PM.

Comment

D'oh! feel a bit of a fool after asking the other half about Korean uses for mooli....

1. Donmoogee ('tamm-oo-jee')
                                We have this all the time - korean radish is a wee bit different but we interchange mooli and use it exactly the same. Lovely crunchy mild pickle that's great as a side with loads of things or in a sandwich - I like it with pizza!
                                We buy it already pickled but I'm sure there are techniques aplenty online.
                                There's ALWAYS a side dish of donmoogee at Korean meals!

2. Fake kimchi (my term!)
                                Ok this is a quick way to make a kimchi-like dish that isn't kimchi - ie, it doesn't ferment to preserve but will keep for a few weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.
                                Slice your mooli diagonally, about 0.5-0.75 cm thick, turn about 90degrees and do the same, and again. You'll end up with slivers of mooli slidely longer than the original width and square cross section. There's a term for cutting like this but I'm not the person you tell you it!
                                Into a big bowl. Wear plastic gloves! sprinkly with loads of sea- or rock-salt and work the salt through the mooli with your hands. Discard liquid and repeat. Discard liquid again. Then squeeze the mooli hard to get rid of as much fluid as possible, discard liquid.
                                Next bit is down to taste - my other half will add fish sauce, chili powder, crushed garlic, soy sauce then maybe some rice wine vinegar, maybe some 7-up (for sweetness), maybe some more salt, maybe some very finely sliced spring onions. Mix thoroughly, into an airtight container, and into the fridge. Eaten as a side dish to any rice-based meal. Will taste different as it 'matures'!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X