Vegetarian meal ideas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rosiepumpkin View Post
    Cheese and onion pie is the Best Thing Ever. Pastry filled with cheese and sauteed onions. It's nectar.
    Mmm, I love cheese and onion pie. Think I might buy in and get my mum to make some for me. She makes really nice ones.
    Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by cariann88 View Post
      Me and my OH have been thinking about trying out being veggie for a month and see how it turns out. We want to start eating healthy.

What food can we eat?
      Good for you!

The kind choice is always the right choice!
      Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
      Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

I eat quite a bit of quorn. I sometimes get Tescos cheap stir fry veg and do some of that with either quorn chicken pieces or the beef strips. Or a giant Yorkshire Pud filled with loads of veg and a cheese sauce on top.
        I suppose I am not an adventurous eater when I do my veggie stuff especially looking at the stuff everyone else makes. My problem is my kids and OH are picky eaters and turn their nose up at a lot of veggie stuff.
        sigpic

Comment

The Yorkshire puds with veg and cheese sauce sounds nice. Might give that a try on Sunday

I like to make my own cheese sauce.
          Last edited by cariann88; 03-09-2015, 12:54 PM.
          Carrie

Comment

This is a good site for vegetarian and vegan recipes.

Vegetarian recipes - All recipes UK

Vegan recipes - All recipes UK
            Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
            Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

There's so much choice in our country for vegetarians nowadays,24 yrs ago there was no Linda Mccartney/quorn section in the supermarkets. I lived on baked potato & cheese for years. Went to Florida sea world luau show for a meal,it was an eat whilst you watch the hawiaan dancers/fire eaters on stage. I asked for a vegetarian meal,they'd never heard of this,my meal came,it was a plate of salad with 3 huge spoons of coleslaw on top! It was back in the day though,there was no veggie/vegan option. Things have improved nowadays. But there are some foods that contain gelatine (crushed animal bones),so some yoghurts,jelly,cakes & sweets,depends how strict you want to be. My daughter eats meat,I brought her up to have the choice like I did,although it was a difficult experience,always overcooking the meat just incase I haven't cooked it properly,I probably (have definitely) put her off a lot of it,who knows what it tasted like.

Comment

I'm not veggie but eat meat free meals most of the time because I reject intensive farming practice.

some issues I struggle with...
                1) My family are very carnivorous. I often end up cooking two seperate meals. (Although I do insist on 'Meatfree Monday' and 'Wegetable Wednesday')

2) I crave savoury, salty (meaty) flavours and resort to using cheese all the time...I actually gained weight after giving up meat!

3) My side of the family are all violently allergic to quorn

I want to batch cook veggie meals, portion and freeze to pop in the oven for me while cooking the family dinner. so many recipes turn to flavourless mush in the freezer though without a high fat content.
                http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Did you see Hugh FW from River Cottage when he went veggie for the Summer?
                  The series keeps being repeated on BBC Food Channel. He did quite a few interesting recipes.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
                    )

2) I crave savoury, salty (meaty) flavours and resort to using cheese all the time...I actually gained weight after giving up meat!
                    Its very easy to turn to cheese and nuts as a substitute for meat and both are far more fattening than lean meat!
                    When I want strong flavours I turn to soy sauce and Marmite.
                    Chilli sin carne - made with lots of red beans and no meat is tasty. A really quick version is a tin of chilli beans and a tin of tomatoes, with chopped onions and extra spices. A tin of baked beans goes well in it too. Boil some rice and hey presto, its on your plate in 15 minutes

Comment

You might want to look at TS's bean recipe thread http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ans_26962.html

One of my fav. cold month veggie meals is fried greens (kale, cabbage, sprouts sometimes pre-boiled if they are on the though side) with garlic and chestnuts and served with a couple of poached eggs. Really simple but lovely

Comment

*waves at RosieP and muddled* your families sound a little like mine - I eat meat, OH is veggie with a mushroom allergy so that also rules out Quorn. Have had to switch to Sainers from W'rose as the veggie options are easier and more prolific. (W'rose basically offers little more than quorn).

I love the River Cottage/Rose Elliott/Yottam Ottolenghi books, they have a lot of good ideas and balanced meals, which is the thing I find hard about providing veggie meals. I love piadina for a quick meal - easy Italian flatbread you dry fry and can fill with a selection of yummy things. My favourite filling is chopped cooked greens (a mix of anything you have to hand) with garlic and a little blue cheese.
                        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by noviceveggrower View Post
                          Did you see Hugh FW from River Cottage when he went veggie for the Summer?
                          The series keeps being repeated on BBC Food Channel. He did quite a few interesting recipes.
                          No I have not seen it but I will keep a look out now on the food channel when It's on.
                          Carrie

Comment

Golden Wonder smokey bacon crisps are suitable for vegetarians :0
                            What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                            Pumpkin pi.

Comment

I've just posted a recipeon the courgette thread that is good - veggies and protein in the form of eggs and cheese. Zoodles.
                              Last edited by Patchninja; 05-09-2015, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                                *waves at RosieP and muddled* your families sound a little like mine - I eat meat, OH is veggie with a mushroom allergy so that also rules out Quorn. Have had to switch to Sainers from W'rose as the veggie options are easier and more prolific. (W'rose basically offers little more than quorn).

I love the River Cottage/Rose Elliott/Yottam Ottolenghi books, they have a lot of good ideas and balanced meals, which is the thing I find hard about providing veggie meals. I love piadina for a quick meal - easy Italian flatbread you dry fry and can fill with a selection of yummy things. My favourite filling is chopped cooked greens (a mix of anything you have to hand) with garlic and a little blue cheese.
                                kk

I rarely buy procesed or ready meal veggie stuff.

A quick meal is curry paste (indian or thai, check labels) with chickepas, rice, beg, whatever you fancy. Very fast , very tasty, very healthy and it's easy to fill my 21 year old stepson's hollow legs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X