Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaf Beat - Perpetual Spinach - How to cook?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf Beat - Perpetual Spinach - How to cook?

Hi All,
    I have grown some perpetual spinach (leaf Beat) on my plot and I am unsure of how to cook it, I would be grateful for any cooking advice and any good receipes for it please.

Thanks
    Tracey

Use as for spinach. Its good just steamed lightly, or use the smallest leaves raw in salad. You can chop the stem and eat too (a bit like celery in texture)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I reckon 2sheds has said it all - pick and enjoy! Bernie
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Fry Onions, garlic, Ginger(optional) Turmeric(1 tsp) salt and pepper in butter shred spinach off stalks and add put in saucepan place on lid & cook for 30 mins or till liquid absorbed.
        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
        Brian Clough

Comment

It's a rather gentle flavour compared to spinach and chard and it's my favourite of the three.

We make a substantial lasagne using ricotta and leaf beet. We're not vegetarian, we just like vegetables! It works particularly well with leaf beet because the leaves don't disappear and go mushy like young spinach, they have more body. Equally, ricotta doesn't melt.

Wash and chop the leaf beet - leaves and stems. Put a tablespoon of water in a pan and gently cook the stems for a couple of minutes. Add the leaves and warm it up, it will reduce a bit in volume but not like spinach. When it's softish and hot, drain off any water and stir in some ricotta cheese. you want it to be a thick mix of green and white, but it shouldn't be smooth or sloppy. Season with black pepper, salt and nutmeg. Mix well, and warm through again.

This leaf beet and ricotta mixture forms the basis of your lasagne - put it together as if this is a traditional "mince" filling. Layer it with pasta sheets, a good tomato sauce (and white sauce if you wish) a bit of cheese on the top, whack it in the oven...

Serve it piping hot with some garlic bread and salad.

I'm salivating as I type!!

Comment

Remove stem and half the leaf. Squeeze the juice from a couple of oranges (or juice good quality bottled juice.) into a pan, add leaves put lid on to the pan and steam for a couple of minutes. Serve has part of a warm salad. Fantastic!!!...

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions, Its a good job I have loads of it as I steamed some the other day and I love the taste. I will be definately trying out your ideas. Thanks

Comment

Chop it in food processor. Put it in a bowl. Chop onion, slice of bread, couple rashers bacon, some strong cheese and a few mushrooms in food processor and add to spinach. Mix with a couple of eggs. Pat into round cakes and coat with flour. Fry, or cook in oven on baking sheet. Yum.

Comment

I'll be trying out that one for sure, October - thank you for posting it!

Comment

I'm obviously missing something....EAT RAW!!!!!!! Don't mess around with prep. As long as it is clean you won't taste anything better!

Tuna goes particularly well if you fancy a chance!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X