Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• food of your childhood!

I am a 60's child,
    shepherds pie, fish on fridays, stew and dumplings, fried liver, toad in the hole
    rice pudding, spotted dick, apple sponge, bread and butter pudding.
    so many more!

What were you brought up on!

I'm an 80's child.

Cottage pie, turkey drummers & alphabetties, angel delight, artic roll, roasts, spaghetti bolognase, egg fried rice, home-made chips, minty peas, vienetta.

Comment

I'm a Heinz 57 with regard to ancestry, so

My mum's influence - sauerkraut with dumplings, schnitzel (breaded pork chops) with potato salad, dark rye bread with unsalted butter, salami and gherkins, apple pancakes, plenty of stodge, but very well cooked stodge - and not a tin or pre-pack in sight. (She's German, but you probably guessed that!)

My dad's influence - Peanut butter and 'Jelly' (Jam) sandwiches, enormous chocolate devils' food cakes, hamburgers (proper ones, before Macdonalds hit these shores), Dolmas (stuffed cabbage or vine leaves), Yaknee (runner bean and lamb stew), Chicken Cacciatore, loads of Spaghetti, don't remember having Pizza much though. I also well remember powdered Grape Juice from the US base nearby where my dad was a teacher, and hershey bars of chocolate.

Ahh, nostalgia, I often think I might get round to re-creating some of those meal, but husband and daughter are more conservative eaters!
      All at once I hear your voice
      And time just slips away
      Bonnie Raitt

Comment

70s farm house cooking for me. Spuds with everything, roast on a sunday, Shepherd's pie, egg and bacon pie (we'd never heard of quiche!), fried sausages... Puddings were pies and sponges, with rice pudding on sunday.

I can remember being amazed (and slightly horrified!) to discover such outlandish things as pizza and curry in my teens

Claire
        Last edited by Seahorse; 14-06-2007, 11:30 AM.
        I was feeling part of the scenery
        I walked right out of the machinery
        My heart going boom boom boom
        "Hey" he said "Grab your things
        I've come to take you home."

Comment

Be that Upper Heyford Air Base Muckdiva?

Comment

I grew up on shell pies with beans and a hot cup of tea, haggis with neeps and mash, black/white/haggis suppers. Great home cooking - chops, roasts, loads of variety of veg. Faves are tatties and mince still. Also learned to cook loads of lovely puddings. Love steamed syrup dumpling with lashings of custard and cream (yup, both)

Gotta stop - getting hungry!!
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

I'd rather not think about the food I ate growing up. I'm still in recovery...
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                I'd rather not think about the food I ate growing up. I'm still in recovery...
                I know what you mean - mum's cooking was superb but when we were a bit broke we had macaroni cheese - I can't stand the stuff!!!
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                  I know what you mean - mum's cooking was superb but when we were a bit broke we had macaroni cheese - I can't stand the stuff!!!
                  Mum's cooking was shocking, Gawd love her. Most food I used to dislike as a child I love now, it's just I'd never had it cooked properly. However, she could make the best cheese straws!
                  A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Scouse is my nostalgia food, with pickled beetroot! Or simple fare like egg'n'chips or battered cod.
                    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I am a child of the 60's... Fish on friday with homemade chips. Roast every sunday. Lunch was dinner and tea was sandwiches and cake or something on toast.
                      Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful..William Morris

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                        Be that Upper Heyford Air Base Muckdiva?
                        Yep, sure was Headfry. Remember it?
                        All at once I hear your voice
                        And time just slips away
                        Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Strange I was eating some Stinking Bishop thinking my Dad would turn over in his grave before having it in the house let alone eating it , we used to have fishfingers, shepherds pie, bangers and mash, pigs liver and always a roast on Sundays followed by dessert. The adults on Sundays would also have a supper of whelks or cockels bought from the man with his "orse" and cart and oh yeah "Pie and Liquor" (cockney geezers my parents) from the chippie

Comment

Raspberry vinegar on Yorkshire puddings, Bubble and squeek made from left overs from Sunday dinner.Melted cheese on toast with brown sauce.Suet puddihg with milk and sugar.
                            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                            Brian Clough

Comment

See my post on roly polys!

A child of the 50s - liver and bacon, stuffed lambs hearts (we had a lot of offal), fish pie, roly polys (sweet and savoury), stew and dumplings and of course roast on Sunday and cold meat and bubble and squeek on Monday.
                              ~
                              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X