Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mrs Dobby's Duck Breast in orange liquer!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs Dobby's Duck Breast in orange liquer!

Hi Gang, we got some duck breast earlier this week, cheap, so I've just cooked Duck Breast for the first time, (have cooked roast duck before, but never just the breast), so experimenting in the kitchen I came up with this recipe, which tastes scrumptious!

4 small duck breast
    1 onion
    1 carrot, peeled and chopped julienne style
    handful of chopped mushrooms
    3 small cloves of garlic (from the plot)
    1 small orange (from our indoor tree)
    1 glass of cointreau
    1 glass dry white wine
    ground black pepper
    1 tbs sugar

Warm a little olive oil and fry off the duck breasts to colour the outside.

Add the juice from the orange, followed by the cointreau.

Add the cjopped onions, mushrooms and carrots, and reduce.

Add the white wine, crushed garlic, black pepper and sugar, reduce heat, cover and leave on a low heat until the breasts are cooked thru!

If we'd not scoffed all the mange tout then I'd have added them to it also, just before serving!

We've served it with noodles, but it would also be very tasty with some new tatties!

Very rich and tasty, hope someone gets to try it and enjoys it as much as we are!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Sounds scrumptious Mrs D. Duck breasts are my very favourite. The only thing I would have added to the recipe is a tablespoon of marmalade and the yest of the orange.
    But I must know, where did you get them cheap. I always find duck breasts expensive. Licking my lips thinking about it. But I can't see a duck flying past without licking my lips. (Or a lamb in a field. Well that's Alice.)

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi Alice!

I did think of adding the zest, and almost added a tablespoon of rhubarb jam (nearest thing we've got in the house to marmalade), so will try that next time!

The duck breasts were from Makro's, organic and free range, but reduced as they were approaching their sell by date, the 4 cost us £1.50, instead of £6!!

We are always on the look out for good value, especially when things are reduced cos they are nearing their sell by date, as long as they havent been frozen then we'll buy it and freeze it the same day! Mr D says its normal for him, being from Yorkshire!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Great bargain Mrs D. Sorry not to have got it myself. Do try some marmalade, or red currant jelly, in the orange liquer. You've got me thinking about adding rhubarb. Yep, that could be good. It's good with plums. What are you talking about Alice. Anything is good with duck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Mmmmm....yum yum!

Had this last night, Mrs D (when I swapped the bottle of Tia Maria bought in error for Gran Marnier - and the GM was on offer, hurrah!) and confirm it was scrummy!

Used red onion, and hadn't got any mushrooms, and served with new pots, beetroot, turnip and spinach all from the Hill!

Comment

Cool, glad you enjoyed it Hazel!
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
              Licking my lips thinking about it. But I can't see a duck flying past without licking my lips. (Or a lamb in a field. Well that's Alice.)
              Alice - how naughty! and I always thought you were such a sweet, animal loving person! Bernie PS Me too! I shout "mint sauce!" to the lambs!
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hmm. I don't eat meat but I can't pass a hedgerow, flowering or fruiting, without 'seeing' bottles of wine!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Or jars of jam lined up in the garage!
                  Kirsty b xx

Comment

I know from past experience of cooking duck or goose how fatty it is. Does this not apply to the breast as well

Apparently not, as Mrs D and Hazel were both impressed!

I love the smell of Duck/goose as it's cooking and love the taste of the crispy skin....Yum!!

Which reminds me..........Picture this.........Groucho Marx is kissing and cuddling a woman when here husband arrives home. She says to him "Duck behind the sofa, Groucho" which he does.......The husband walks into the room and Groucho stands up and says " There's no duck behind here"
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      I know from past experience of cooking duck or goose how fatty it is. Does this not apply to the breast as well
                      I didn't use any oil in the pan, and after the duck breast had browned all over I poured off all the excess fat (quite a lot of it) before adding the other ingredients. Hence all the yummy ducky taste, but a lower reading on the guilt-ometer!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                        I didn't use any oil in the pan, and after the duck breast had browned all over I poured off all the excess fat (quite a lot of it) before adding the other ingredients. Hence all the yummy ducky taste, but a lower reading on the guilt-ometer!
                        Yep, I did the same Hazel, tho I saved the fat for using for roasties!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X